Windows 10: Elan touchpad randomly activates tapping after I have disabled tapping

Discus and support Elan touchpad randomly activates tapping after I have disabled tapping in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have gone through the process of disabling tapping. Sometime later the cursor will send me some place unexpected because tapping has returned.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chickie, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Chickie Win User

Elan touchpad randomly activates tapping after I have disabled tapping

I have gone through the process of disabling tapping. Sometime later the cursor will send me some place unexpected because tapping has returned. Usually if I go to Settings, Devices, Mouse & Touchpad, additional mouse options, that stops the tapping. Occasionally I have to go to the Elan tab and Options before it will go away. The "tapping" box is not checked. Driver is up to date. I've tried a bunch of different things - disabling the touchpad, reinstalling the driver. I can't find anything in my Internet searches for this issue.

:)

Chickie, Mar 7, 2017

2. Elan touchpad

Anyone figured out how to disable tap to click using the ELAN touchpad after the November 15th Windows update

WilliamWilliams_935, Mar 7, 2017
  3. Touchpad Issues With Windows 10

im having problems with ELAN 11.15.0.14 too, however my problem is the opposite. My computer screen is broken and therefore taps repeatedly. However when following the instructions to disable the touchpad, it continues to work regardless.

KeiranWalton, Mar 7, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

There is usually a touchpad icon in the Taskbar. If you right click it you get options. One of those is "Tap to Click".
    Have you tried unchecking that there?

5. Chickie Win User
    There isn't an icon on the taskbar. Is it possible I somehow hit a certain combination of keys, or a single key repetitively, or maybe a certain spot on the touch pad repetitively that could activate tapping? Except, when I go to the Elan tab through Settings, tapping is not checked even though it was just active.

Chickie, Mar 8, 2017
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    There is always the possibility of poor hardware, defective hardware, or poorly written drivers. So it may come to the point when 'it is what it is'.

I don't know of any key combination that toggles anything on a trackpad.

I assume you have expanded the Task Bar icon tray. If you see a small triangle there you can click that to see more icons.

You can try this also:
    Go to Device Manager, find the Elan trackpad, and uninstall it.
    Restart the computer and Windows will find the trackpad and reinstall it with the driver it has in it's Driver Store.
    Immediately go into settings and turn off Tap To Click.
    See if that helps.

Thema:

1. Elan touchpad randomly activates tapping after I have disabled tapping - Similar Threads - Elan touchpad randomly

2. Left-handed touchpad tap and double-tap is not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left-handed touchpad tap and double-tap is not working.: I have gone to my mouse settings and switched it to being left-handed. I also made sure that "Switch primary and secondary buttons" is checked in the "additional mouse settings". The buttons on the bottom of the touchpad have switched correctly, but now when I double-tap the...
  3. How do I disable "tap to click" on my HP with Elan Touchpad?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I disable "tap to click" on my HP with Elan Touchpad?: I have found a ton of information online, but most of it seems outdated since it doesn't apply to me or my situation. To be honest, after researching this topic in the past, I was able to disable it, but...I had forgotten how to now. If someone would be so kind to assist...
  4. Tap in the touchpad is not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Tap in the touchpad is not working: In my laptop tap option is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tap-in-the-touchpad-is-not-working/3851af51-b211-46e7-87f0-9bd271009b33
  5. Windows not allowing disabling taps on touchpad

Windows not allowing disabling taps on touchpad: Hi, recently I searched how to disable tapping and so far nothing worked. On the Windows' settings app I could not find any "Disable" options anywhere. I also tried to go to the Registry Editor but there was no "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics" or similar directory....
  6. How to disable double tap on touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable double tap on touchpad: After this new Windows 10 update I cannot find the settings to turn off touchpad double tap feature. Its annoying that Microsoft has changed the layout of windows when there was no need to. Before the update is was very easy to do. Please can someone show me how to turn...
  7. Disable tap to click on touchpad.

Disable tap to click on touchpad.: I recently installed an update to Windows 10. I originally had my touchpad set to only use the buttons to click, because I GODDAMN HATE WHEN THE TOUCHPAD ACCIDENTALLY CLICKS ON SOMETHING WHEN I BRUSH MY HAND ACROSS IT!!! I can't find anywhere to turn it off, and I swear to...
  8. Disable Tapping, Windows 10 Touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Tapping, Windows 10 Touchpad: I am unable to disable Touchpad Tapping on my new MSI GP63 Windows 10 laptop. I've found a previous post about this question with the following instructions: Go to Settings. Click on Personalization, then Themes. Select Mouse pointer settings. Then, click on the last tab...
  9. Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable the tapping feature (aka: Tap...
  10. Touchpad Tap not working

Touchpad Tap not working: After using Bluetooth mouse, touch pad tapping has stopped working, navigation is working fine, Its Synaptics clik pad V7.4. I tried to update the driver, but it shows the driver is up to date.............. Please help...... 31536