Windows 10: Elevated prompt and title in a non-elevated command window means what?

Discus and support Elevated prompt and title in a non-elevated command window means what? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am a standard user: there is no "Administrator" next to my name when I look at "Your Info" for my account in user settings. the output of "net... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sbpetrack, Dec 17, 2017.

1. sbpetrack Win User

Elevated prompt and title in a non-elevated command window means what?

I am a standard user:
    there is no "Administrator" next to my name when I look at "Your Info" for my account in user settings.
    the output of "net localgroup administrators" does not contain my user name.
    I am on a domain-managed machine and I am not a domain admin either.

I click the Start key, write "cmd", then right-click on "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as Adminstrator". When UAC asks for admin credentials, the default choice is my own user name; I give my own password and hit 'enter'.

The command window that comes up has as its title: "Adminstrator: Command Prompt"; and the working directory prompt reads "C:\WINDOWS\system32>"

I still don't have admin privileges, I think. At least, for example, both the commands "net session" and "net user administrator /active:yes" both return the same result: "System error 5 as occurred. // Access is denied."

Is this normal? If it is, then all the countless posts which say that the title and prompt of the command prompt are sure ways to tell if it is elevated are simply wrong?

Thank you,

scott

:)

sbpetrack, Dec 17, 2017

2. Elevated Command Prompt

Hi Tommy,

A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on your computer without using the Windows graphical interface.
    You may open an elevated Command Prompt by following the steps below.

1. Open the Start menu, and type cmd to open the search box.

2. When Command Prompt shows up in the search results, right click or press and hold on it, then click/tap on
    Run as administrator.

Feel free to post your query should you need assistance.

Vanessa Oca, Dec 17, 2017
  3. Tommy7GV Win User
    Tommy7GV, Dec 17, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

If your on a domain you can have domain admin and admin on the local pc it all depends how they have setup the domain what you get if any

Samuria, Dec 17, 2017
  5. sbpetrack Win User
    My specific question is if the "elevated prompt" (i.e. "C:\WINDOWS\system32\>") and the "elevated title" (i.e. "Administrator: Command Prompt") imply ANYTHING at all about the permissions and/or credentials that are applied to commands entered into that window -- which is something asserted by MANY descriptions of the Windows command prompt.

In particular, if these "indicators" are indeed displayed when a standard user requests an elevated command prompt, is that a sign of some kind of system corruption or intrusion.

It certainly is misleading if it's not.

sbpetrack, Dec 17, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    As you appear to log on with your domain account, then the local rights you have on this PC are inherited from you domain rights. These were set by your network administrator, along with group policies to control what you can (and cannot) do.

Yes, you are running an elevated command prompt - but what you are allowed to do in it only your IT department can tell you.

7. sbpetrack Win User
    Finally, some clarity!! Thank you very much. A few follow-on questions please:
    1. Yes, I do log on with my domain account. Is it necessarily the case that the only way to find out my domain rights and group policy is to ask someone in IT? Is it at least possible that these rights and permissions are visible to me? (I am hoping that whether I have visibility into these is itself a domain right or set in group policy (including of course the right to see what rights I have)).

2. If a machine is part of a domain, do the domain admins have the ability to reduce the permissions of local admin users to something short of "everything"? Or do local admins retain all the privileges they have, even when the machine joins a domain?

Thanks!

scott

sbpetrack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Elevated prompt and title in a non-elevated command window means what? - Similar Threads - Elevated prompt title

2. elevated admin command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    elevated admin command prompt: where is the dictionary and/or the appendix for the language to use in the elevated admin command prompt??? I would prefer to simply ask my friends in redmond at the garage to imput the needed code/txt so that my thumbs dont go numb...lolol...
  3. Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt: Having problem installing updates windows 10 64bit - version 2004 -- need to access command prompt as an Administrator to try to fix. Any ideas ?...
  4. Access Denied in elevated command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access Denied in elevated command prompt: Hello everybody, I'm trying to run a simple command in an elevated Command Prompt that acts on a folder that resides on a secondary HDD. That drive and the entirety of its contents have my only machine's user account also the administrator set as the owner, as does...
  5. non elevated powershell?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    non elevated powershell?: Hi, I read that I can uninstall apps via the powershell elevated, and I indeed did this. But what surprised me was that even a non-elevated powershell prompt allowed me to uninstall a number of apps as well. Would this mean that I can even reinstall apps via a...
  6. Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?: Is there a rule of thumb to know which of the referenced you would use when entering a particular command or file name? Mark 112722
  7. Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt: Hello I just installed WIN 10 on an old laptop (if one can call a lenovo W700 a laptop), used a win7 product key and the authentication was accepted had to create a microsoft account, refuse to give them all kind of info... arghhh I am now trying to put in the LENOVO...
  8. Make Elevated Command Prompt open to %userprofile%

in Windows 10 Support
    Make Elevated Command Prompt open to %userprofile%: I have the Command Prompt icon on my Taskbar as I use it a lot. It's set to always run as Administrator, so when I launch it, the Command Prompt window opens to C:\Windows\system32. I want it to open to %userprofile% which is C:\Users\myaccountname. Has anyone found a...
  9. Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Switch to non-elevated program from elevated prompt: Hi, I use an administrative mode (elevated) command prompt to maneuver through most of my day. I have a code editor (in this case, Crimson Editor) open at all times, and when I need to edit a file quickly, I simply type cedt <filename> at the command prompt. What is...
  10. Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on...