Windows 10: Elongated file names after file search

Discus and support Elongated file names after file search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get odd looking results after I do a file search with list view or small icons. All fine when explorer normally displays in windows 10 but it looks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by z8000783, Aug 9, 2018.

1. z8000783 Win User

Elongated file names after file search

I get odd looking results after I do a file search with list view or small icons. All fine when explorer normally displays in windows 10 but it looks like the file name is padded out with some extraneous characters.. Any thoughts or is this normal?

Thanks John

Elongated file names after file search [​IMG]

Elongated file names after file search [​IMG]

:)

z8000783, Aug 9, 2018
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Aug 9, 2018
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Elongated file names after file search - Similar Threads - Elongated file names

2. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628
  3. Invalid File Name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Invalid File Name: Hi all, Sorry for my poor english. I have a SDHC 32GB card and I formated it to exFAT, because I need it for a file that is bigger than 4GB. Everything looks and run good, expect 2 files (my own) that I can´t open and read it, the App says "Invalid FIle Name". I can see...
  4. File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search: Using Windows 10 Home. This problem only happens if I'm performing a search. If I search within a folder for say *.* and then delete a file, the list of files does not refresh. The file remains listed even though it's been deleted. If I manually refresh then the file...
  5. File Searching

in Windows 10 Support
    File Searching: In previous versions of Windows it was relatively easy to locate a file by typing in key words or phrases. Windows 10 either does not have that function or I am unaware on how to access it. Can I get some clear, precise step on how to do this? Thanks for any help y'all can...
  6. File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search-"Limit to search on name" not working: Hello, The File explorer option is bugged: whatever option one chooses: search names, url, or contents: the result total is that of search "contents". For most searches, this gives 12000 files instead of say 3. Cortana does give the three, but it's not at all a satisfactory...
  7. File explorer chinese files names and phantom files.

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer chinese files names and phantom files.: When I launch file explorer and get the home view, it is showing a bunch of filenames in Chinese characters (see attached screenshot) which it says are in the desktop folder. However there are no such files when I look at the desktop folder. WTF? I just ran MalwareBytes and...
  8. Search file names question!

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file names question!: Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text. Thank you!! 51660
  9. Files names not displaying

in Windows 10 Support
    Files names not displaying: I am using Windows 10 and Office 2013 When I Open several workbooks at once and select the Excel Icon on the task bar, the workbooks appear as Excel, but displays no names. When I click any of the workbooks showing as Excel only , the name will then display for the...
  10. How to search a file by its partial name?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to search a file by its partial name?: Hi, I have a file named IMG_20151218_0001.pdf. How can search it when I only remember it has 1218 as a part of the file name? Thanks. I tried some of the searches and the result is empty, such as filename:"*1218*", *1218*, and "*1218*". Thank you. 34322