Windows 10: Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed..

Discus and support Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed.. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Yesterday I installed the cumulative update. Today I did a cold restart. Now the email app constantly crashes, it comes up and then just freezes until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by OppfinnarJocke, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed..

Yesterday I installed the cumulative update. Today I did a cold restart. Now the email app constantly crashes, it comes up and then just freezes until it eventually closes itself (or gets closed). The event viewer contains two events for each try, which seem to have to do with this.

First comes:
    SettingSyncHost (4916) An attempt to create the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The create file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

And then:
    SettingSyncHost (4916) Unable to create a new logfile because the database cannot write to the log drive. The drive may be read-only, out of disk space, misconfigured, or corrupted. Error -1032.

These are both generated by source ESENT.

This raises several questions:

Why would it at all try to create a log-file in C:\Windows\System32? Are there not more appropriate places for log-files?

I am a member of Administrators (and Home Users) and from File Explorer I could manually create a folder (did not get the option to create a file) in C::\Windows\System32, so why would the creation fail? I have 425 GB free space on the SSD.

And most importantly, the email app worked fine yesterday, does anyone know what can I do to get this corrected and working again? Surely it does not have to be run as Administrator?

EDIT: I did some digging, and found this: 50 errors in event logs on each boot (Esent ID 413 488)
    Unfortunately, W10 seems far from being in a dependable state yet...

:)

OppfinnarJocke, Aug 5, 2015
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Aug 5, 2015
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed.. :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed.. :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed.. :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed.. :)

musum, Aug 5, 2015
  4. tfwul Win User

Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed..

Got these errors too

-

EVENT-ID 413 SettingSyncHost (1164) Unable to create a new logfile because the database cannot write to the log drive. The drive may be read-only, out of disk space, misconfigured, or corrupted. Error -1032.

EVENT-ID 488 SettingSyncHost (1164) An attempt to create the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The create file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

EVENT-ID 455 SettingSyncHost (1164) {7C1A164D-0BC9-4F2D-941E-19DA0C966885}: Error -1032 (0xfffffbf8) occurred while opening logfile C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\metastore\edb.log.

EVENT-ID 489 SettingSyncHost (1164) {7C1A164D-0BC9-4F2D-941E-19DA0C966885}: An attempt to open the file "C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\metastore\edb.log" for read only access failed with system error 32 (0x00000020): "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

-

Read the other thread, but I am afraid it is a bit too complex for me, this resetting ACLs and stuff...
    Seems somewhere the correct path should be entered or so.

=

tfwul, Aug 24, 2015
Thema:

Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed..

1. Email app crash, create file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\edbtmp.log" failed.. - Similar Threads - Email app crash

2. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  3. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  4. Which app/services creates this log?

in Windows 10 Support
    Which app/services creates this log?: Hello Windows 10 Home v2004 In this case was V0100004.log but these log files are like roaches. Which service is creating them? Any way to kill them? C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\VXXXXXX.log Thanks 164502
  5. email attachments crash apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    email attachments crash apps: I have been going crazy with this problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid re-installing Windows, but if necessary I'm willing to do what it takes. Overview: If I try to work with an attachment/former attachment - app crashes right away....
  6. Startup Repair failed with no Log File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Startup Repair failed with no Log File: Hi All, Last night I was trying to shut down Windows, however, it didn't fully shut down and kept logging me back in. I tried going through the start menu and using Alt+F4, to no avail. I decided to forcefully shut down the system by long pressing the power button. This...
  7. Windows freezes and fails to create log file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows freezes and fails to create log file: Recently Windows 10 has been randomly freezing while browsing or doing any basic task, the cursor freezes and if there's music or sound it freezes on a loop. The computer won't shut down or display a blue screen, it can sit there frozen for hours until forced reboot. Event...
  8. Failed attempts to log into email through the mailing app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed attempts to log into email through the mailing app.: I just bought a new computer and have been trying to login to my gmail account through the window's mailing app. When I go through the process of submitting my login information, a window pops up and says "Something went wrong, we're sorry, but we weren't able to do that....
  9. cannot create a file on c drive

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot create a file on c drive: Hi, Anywhere on the c drive, I cannot create files. I can only create folders. How can I change this ? Where in Windows 10 can I set myself as the power user ? 61559
  10. Log file being created on C Drive - new since yesterday!

in Windows 10 Support
    Log file being created on C Drive - new since yesterday!: Hi guys, Wonder if anyone has seen this before. A log file called 'test_service.log' has appeared on my C Drive. Its contents are pretty basic: Server OnPreShutdown. END OF SERVICE. Server started. Server OnPreShutdown. END OF SERVICE. Server started. Basically...