Windows 10: Email folders not retaining data

Discus and support Email folders not retaining data in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I discovered that dozens of email messages I had moved to special folders for safekeeping have all been deleted. Is there a setting to prevent this, or... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by connellg, Sep 14, 2016.

1. connellg Win User

Email folders not retaining data

I discovered that dozens of email messages I had moved to special folders for safekeeping have all been deleted. Is there a setting to prevent this, or a better retention method if not?

:)

connellg, Sep 14, 2016
  2. DonTolson Win User

if I delete an email on my phone, it does not appear when I get into office and start outlook, is this correct?

but shouldn't the deleted email be retained in the Exchange 'Deleted' folder?

DonTolson, Sep 14, 2016
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    i have gmail & windows 10

Hi Kevin,

We understand that you want to retain the folder created on your email.

For us to narrow it down and provide you the proper resolution, may we know what type of email are you using? Would it be Web-based email, POP3 or IMAP email?

Regards.

Alden Rey, Sep 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you can specify the path to those 'special folders' and whether the drive was internal or external (e.g.) perhaps someone will be able to comment.

Did you confirm the email files were present in those folders after moving them?

Naturally we don't know what software may be running or what scheduled tasks there may be on your PC...

Was the rest of the disk containing those folders ok?

dalchina, Sep 14, 2016
  5. connellg Win User
    The special folders are simply thos created within email to store messages received or sent. This all takes place within the Windows 10 email application.
    The drive is the internal C drive.
    All the emails that were moved to special folders remained in their new folders for some period of time, but were eventually deleted by Windows.
    The running software is Windows 10.
    No other scheduled tasks were running.
    C-drive is OK.

connellg, Sep 15, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    My guess is that there is a "delete clock" at work; a setting somewhere needs to be adjusted to: never delete emails.

RolandJS, Sep 15, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, have a look at this:
    How To: Manage Email Folders in the Windows 10 Mail App | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows
    - so I'm wondering, given that, how you created the folders?

Note the comment that the Mail app is limited.. so you can't treat it in the same way as, say, Thunderbird.
    It's worth you researching that further, and deciding if Mail is for you.

Of course Mail may have moved on since that article..

==========================
    Could the deletion have been related to a Windows or Mail app update?
    Of course that may be hard to know, unless you can correlate the dates and times.

By default apps store data here: This PC for the Windows C: drive in the %LocalAppData%\Packages folder.

I don't use Mail, so have nothing there. Unfortunately my guess would be that won't help you recovering data for at least a couple of reasons.

You could try an experiment: create a new folder, copy some mail into it, monitor it, and see if you can correlate its deletion (if that occurs) with any other event.

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  8. gpstoloff Win User

gpstoloff, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Email folders not retaining data - Similar Threads - Email folders retaining

2. Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.: Sorry, I know there is a lot in the Community about this need, but I found a lot of the information a little outdated or just old. I have 2 situations and I have 2 questions.I have 2 LARGE Document-type folders 20 & 25 GB each, 40K & 50K files each, 600+ sub-folders each. The...
  3. Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.: Sorry, I know there is a lot in the Community about this need, but I found a lot of the information a little outdated or just old. I have 2 situations and I have 2 questions.I have 2 LARGE Document-type folders 20 & 25 GB each, 40K & 50K files each, 600+ sub-folders each. The...
  4. Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Emails into Folders

Emails into Folders: When I receive email Mail for Windows 10 with picture attachments I like to "Save as" the email into storage folders in my Documents. For some reason the pics are being saved OK, but sometimes the text is shown as what looks like Chinese characters. Does anyone have any...
  6. Retaining old emails

Retaining old emails: HiI have a PC less than a year old with windows version 21H1 build 19043.1052 and using Mail. Currently my emails are removed after about a month. I need to keep them until I decide to delete them. How do I do this?RegardsStuart...
  7. Email addresses being retained in private browsing

in Browsers and Email
    Email addresses being retained in private browsing: Using Firefox private browsing. Went into a website yesterday for the first time. When I clicked into the 'Sign In' box, there was a dropdown list of several email addresses that have been used on this laptop at different times, but never with this site. These were hotmail...
  8. Missing email data

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing email data: I dont know why but the inbox of my computer has been amended. I can send and receive emails but the various folders ie drafts are totally empty including SENT even though a number appears showing the number of emails which were sent. I spent about one hour yesterday with...
  9. Upgrading SSD while retaining all the data

Upgrading SSD while retaining all the data: I am currently having 128GB SSD on my HP Laptop with original Windows 10. I am planning to upgrade the SSD to 512GB. I have a lot of my software, servers installations, development environments created and manually settings with the port numbers. Is it possible to upgrade to...
  10. Copy folder and retaining permissions of sub folders

Copy folder and retaining permissions of sub folders: Hi We have a system where to open a job, we copy a template folder which in itself has sub folders. In it there is a sub-folder where not everyone is allowed to see. When we copy the template and paste it to create job, all permissions set in the template sub folders are...