Windows 10: embedded OEM key

Discus and support embedded OEM key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10 install will not accept my embedded product key. What do I do now?? 14313 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rgauchey, Aug 7, 2015.

1. rgauchey Win User

embedded OEM key

Windows 10 install will not accept my embedded product key. What do I do now??

:)

rgauchey, Aug 7, 2015

2. Dell laptop bitlocker option missing, windows 10

Issue resolved

the replacement motherboard come with windows 7 OEM SLP, causing different windows 10 activation mode

and it seem like Windows 7 SLIC is not the same as OEM embedded key started with windows 8

after replacing with motherboard that contain windows 10 OEM embedded key, BitLocker encryption reappear, even it is Home edition

but only allow encryption of internal C drive

Chris Khan, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Pro becomes Home after reinstallation

The download tool is multi edition, Home and Pro and can install Home or Pro. Your install media must be detecting an OEM embedded key for 8.0 or 8.1 Core and using it. To get your pro back go to the System page and click the change product key option.
    Then enter this key, VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T It's the generic Pro key you got when you originally did the free upgrade. It should then upgrade to Pro, reboot, and activate with your original digital entitlement for Pro. This is a new issue with build
    10586, as it now accepts Windows 8/8.1 keys for installation and activation, even OEM embedded keys. Problem is OEM embedded keys override everything else.

Kerry Waterfield, Aug 7, 2015
  4. embedded OEM key

Are you trying to enter the product key manually?

With Win8.1, when you do the in-place Win10 Upgrade, it's supposed to obtain the key from the UEFI onboard.

Mark Phelps, Aug 7, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    No, it doesn't. Again, (and again, and again) the previous version Windows key has nothing to do with Windows 10.

You upgrade the previous version of the OS in place first. The Windows 10 upgrade reads the activation of the previous operating system - NOT THE KEY. That creates a Windows 10 activation on Microsoft servers based on an ID created by the hardware profile - NOT THE KEY. Future activations of Windows 10 on that same computer will be based on comparing an ID created by the hardware profile - NOT THE KEY and will activate based upon comparing that hardware profile with what is stored on the Microsoft servers.

Again (and again and again) you upgrade the previous version of Windows in place - NO KEYS ARE INVOLVED. If you are upgrading and it is asking for a key, something is probably wrong, but you can skip entering the key and hope for the best. Once the upgrade is successful and activated - during future installs of Windows 10 you skip entering the key and it is supposed to activate based upon the information store on Microsoft servers - which has nothing to do with the previous version's key.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
  6. rgauchey Win User
    Yes, I was entering it manually. Am I supposed to "skip" ?

rgauchey, Aug 8, 2015
  7. Lysias18 Win User
    I have windows 10, but I want to switch to an SSD on my laptop, since it's based on hardware stored on MS servers will I be able to safely switch to an SSD? I'm not at all concerned about losing the data I have on here, just want my windows 10 to be activated

Lysias18, Aug 8, 2015
  8. embedded OEM key

Stop freeking out. There is actually a product key for your win 10 upgrade. However, it is well hidden in the registry of course. It may be recouped with 3rd party key/serial finders. Google, look for the ones that work off a flash (thumb) drive.

Examples: Portable Product Key Tools | Category

lopedoggie, Aug 8, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Those keys are useless for the upgrade. If you enter them, you will get the Blocked key message and it will never activate.

Those keys are internal, which is why Microsoft doesn't give you a new key. It's pointless. The key has no value for you, other than the fact that the MS servers insert this key internally when you upgrade.

Mystere, Aug 8, 2015
  10. Kyhi Win User
    that why I have no issue posting them..

11. Mystere Win User
    But, by doing that, you're giving the impression that they should be used to install and activate. In other words, you're confusing people.

Mystere, Aug 8, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    While it's true that it doesn't use the key from the BIOS/FW it does need to send the original key to MS's activation servers, so that when you transfer a copy to a new PC (assuming it's retail) it will continue to activate, even after the 1 year mark. Otherwise, there would be no way for servers to know that your older OS was eligible for upgrading after the free 1 year upgrade was up.

The key is acquired from the activated copy of windows, not the BIOS/FW though.

Mystere, Aug 8, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

embedded OEM key

*Ditto

It's best to not post anything that's just going to confuse matters more.

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  14. Kyhi Win User
    Yeah, maybe it is me.. Just thinking that these are not secret keys and
    that they have nothing to do with activation of the Windows 10 UPGRADE

So may be best to just say "YOU MUST UPGRADE A QUALIFING OS" to get those keys

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The problem is that it makes people think that you can activate with those keys, but in reality you can't.

Those are just generic keys used to install with instead. The activation is registered for the free Windows 10 on Microsoft activation servers for the PC only after upgrading from an activated Windows 7/8.1 on that PC.

People don't even need to use the generic keys to install with since they just select "skip" when asked for a key during Windows Setup.

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

embedded OEM key

1. embedded OEM key - Similar Threads - embedded OEM key

2. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  3. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  4. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. oem key

oem key: Hi so i just bought a oem key and was wandering if i can activate windows but ive already install windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-key/68c49162-f504-4e7c-8edb-9145cb0143fc
  6. oem key

oem key: my laptop comes with windows 10 home i updated my laptop with windows 10 pro oem key,but my laptop did not replace the old key with new one..when i use oem key checker tool it showing old key.what i have to do replace a new oem key in old one?...
  7. Risks associated with selling or giving away an OEM PC with Product Key embedded in firmware

Risks associated with selling or giving away an OEM PC with Product Key embedded in firmware: I am about to give away a Dell PC with the Product Code embedded in the firmware, as I've confirmed by testing with clean installs using only a Local Account that result in the Product Code persisting after each new install/activation. My question: Does the existence of this...
  8. OEM key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OEM key: hi there pleas i want know whats all problem will happen withe all drivers if i use fake OEM key to active windows 10 . and how i do remove it . i do use : slmgr /dlv slmgr /upk but when i restart laptop i see it actived by same OEM key...
  9. Windows 10 install media not reading my Windows 8 OEM embeded key.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install media not reading my Windows 8 OEM embeded key.: I've been doing some clean installs checking something posted in another thread. While doing those I noticed that the current Windows 10 install media created by the Media Creation Tool, is not automatically using the Windows 8.0 Core OEM embedded key in my laptops BOS. And...
  10. Win 10 with embedded keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 with embedded keys: With the Threshold 2 update, I understand Win 10 can use a Win 7 and 8 key code for activation. Will it read an embedded key and use it during the installation process? We have over 300 devices that came with Win 8 downgraded to Win 7. Due to a new application that requires a...