Windows 10: EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?

Discus and support EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Just wondering what people are using for Windows 10? Apparently EMET can be easily exploited in Windows 10 and MB Anti exploit is recommended over it.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Kol12, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Kol12 Win User

EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?

Just wondering what people are using for Windows 10? Apparently EMET can be easily exploited in Windows 10 and MB Anti exploit is recommended over it. Any opinions on this? Does the premium version of Anti exploit allow you to secure 3rd party apps as EMET is able to?

:)

Kol12, Sep 21, 2016

2. Does EMET perform well ?

When compared to Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and HitmanPro.Alert, EMET has less features and offers not so great protection. I just wanna know,
    Do I really need to have another anti-exploit programme leaving EMET ?

Mridu Harsh, Sep 21, 2016
  3. MaxTZ. Win User
    windows 10 anti-virus / malware protection

I've recently installed windows 10.

Any advice on additional security to run alongside windows defender?

My own googling seems to all come back to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware / Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit / Microsoft EMET. Do I need all 3 of these?

Any help much appreciated EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit? :)

MaxTZ., Sep 21, 2016
  4. EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit?

Hi:

I cannot comment on EMET, as I have never used it. I recall seeing here some time ago a post mentioning that even MS had deprecated support (or at least recommendations for it).

As for MBAE, the Free version shields many common browsers, and certain plug-ins, like Java.
    MBAE Premium by default also shields PDF readers, Office-type application, Media Players. It can be configured via custom shields to shield nearly any internet-facing application.
    Licenses are subscription-based and for 1 system each, with a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction.
    I run MBAE Premium alongside MBAM Premium and my AV on all of my systems.
    It is unobtrusive, requires ~no user interaction once configured and consumes scant resources.

I have no personal experience with it, but HitmanProAlert (HMPA) is another, paid, anti-exploit product.

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 21, 2016
  5. Kol12 Win User
    Cheers, I will look into MBAE premium once I get a more definitive answer on what the story is with EMET.

I understand you can configure any app in EMET to be secured but I suppose the Internet facing apps are going to most at risk...

Kol12, Sep 21, 2016
  6. I'm using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti Malware Pro on my beast gaming rig, and any software can be easily exploited in Windows 10 not just security software. The simple answer is try it yourself and see which one you like it.

RubberDucky, Sep 21, 2016
  7. MoxieMomma, Sep 21, 2016
  8. DavidE Win User

Is EMET deprecated, can you post links with that info ?
    MS published kb3185278 for a W7 EMET fix yesterday:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185278

For me, keeping MBAE (free) updated is more of a pita than anything else.
    For systems/people i support, i prefer EMET vs. MBAE.

DavidE, Sep 21, 2016
  9. I stand corrected.
    Deprecated was not the proper wording.

But, as pointed out in the previous replies, and in the article for which @Brink provided the link in the EMET pinned topic, it is acknowledged to be *vulnerable*.
    The report was picked up and posted on many security and general computer fora around the time of the original report in February.
    MS's candid admission about EMET's vulnerability does seem to be noteworthy.

Of course, all software is "vulnerable" on some level or another.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 21, 2016
  10. I'm not sure what you mean by that.*Sad

MBAE does not work through definitions or databases.
    So there is nothing to keep "updated", except for the program itself.
    The program will auto-update through it's internal auto-updater from time to time, when a new build is released, if the user enables the auto-updater.
    And the Free version protects only certain browsers and plug-ins, so there is nothing to set-up or configure, as there would be with any of the paid anti-exploit products or EMET. (IOW EMET and all of the paid anti-exploit applications require some user interaction to configure custom settings, at least initially.)
    Other than that, both the Free and Premium versions run quite silently in the background, unless/until an exploit is detected and blocked. In that case the program is doing its job.

So, I am puzzled by your report of trouble updating MBAE Free.
    Perhaps you can explain in a bit more detail?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 21, 2016
  11. Kol12 Win User
    My first source of information regarding the EMET vulnerability was from hardenwindows10forsecurity.com where he say's and I quote:

"This guide used to recommend EMET 5.2 for other versions of Windows, but MS has pronounced that it is not compatible with Windows 10. EMET 5.5 has been released. However, the new version requires the Secondary Logon service active. And by having access to Secondary Logon service, attackers can use the runas command line tool to invoke administrative rights."

Kol12, Sep 21, 2016
  12. DavidE Win User
    The auto-update program updates are the problem.
    For me for, in the free version, i don't see a choice to be notified of a new update and have any control.
    If I'm logged in as a Limited account, MBAE wants to update the program.
    I can't/won't do that without doing a system image backup first, and logging in as an Admin before updating ANY Security program.
    I think i tried updating the program logged in as Limited a long time ago, and that never worked *Sad
    Well, when i decline the "update now" for the MBAE program update, it takes at least a day to get offered the update again.
    And by then I'm logged in as a Limiter User again, I'm not going to stay logged in as an Admin, just for an MBAE update.
    Yea, I've downloaded the latest MBAE version for a pgm update as admin, and using that is another experience *Zip

DavidE, Sep 21, 2016
  13. DavidE Win User

Can you post a link, i'd like to read about that.
    I'm not a security expert, just a cautious user. *Tongue

DavidE, Sep 21, 2016
  14. Phone Man Win User
    DavidE,

You can turn off the auto update in MBAE if that will help.

EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit? [​IMG]

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Sep 21, 2016
  15. DavidE Win User
    The issue i see with that is if it is turned off, there is no notification of a program update available.
    I would like to get a prompt when a new program update is available, and control if/when it is updated.

DavidE, Sep 21, 2016
Thema:

1. EMET or Malwarebytes Anti exploit? - Similar Threads - EMET Malwarebytes Anti

2. My MalwareBytes Anti Exploit appears to have quit working after Windows Rep worked on...

in Windows 10 Customization
    My MalwareBytes Anti Exploit appears to have quit working after Windows Rep worked on...: My MalwareBytes Anti Exploit appears to have quit working after Windows Rep worked on something else on my computer. Computer keeps asking me to Reboot, since Malware is taking too long to start. Any thoughts? (I chose Windows Settings as a topic, because none of the other...
  3. Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit: How to add an exclusions-list in Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit ? Program keeps finding the same items , which I have to exclude after every scan ! Would be much easier if we could add an exclusions-list............. Im sure more people are using this software , so appreciate...
  4. Latest Malwarebytes Update: Exploit Protection Off

Latest Malwarebytes Update: Exploit Protection Off: Has anyone had issues with not being able to turn on exploit protection with Malwarebytes 3.4.5? I reinstalled it, which resolved the problem. However, I think clicked the install application updates button which upgraded it back to 3.4.5. Once again exploit protection is...
  5. Can Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit run on Windows 10?

Can Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit run on Windows 10?: I tried to run Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit on my Windows 10, several times, and it will not start. Anyone else have this problem? See image. [img] 87263
  6. Malwarebytes Anti -Exploit

Malwarebytes Anti -Exploit: At the moment I'm using Bitdefender anti virus and Malwarebytes anti malware. Would it be advantageous to install the above program. I'm not sure I fully understand what this program is trying to do. I have read the description on their web site but I must admit it's a bit...
  7. Latest Version Malwarebytes Anti Exploit

Latest Version Malwarebytes Anti Exploit: Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Stand Alone Beta Latest beta version 1.12 Build 68 19 April 2018 ***Download page*** Protection: Protection against exploit-driven Process Hollowing attack Usability: Hypervisor Code Integrity (HVCI) Compliant Compatible with Windows...
  8. Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware: Latest Version of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware [img] Information BETA 8 Version: 0.9.17.661 Release Date: September 6th 2016 Information and Download: New version - BETA 8 - now available! - Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta - Malwarebytes Forums...
  9. Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta: Introducing the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta [img] For the last four years, ransomware has evolved into one of the biggest threats to cyber security that I’ve seen in a long time. Names like CryptoLocker, CryptoWall, and CTBLocker keep average computer users...
  10. Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard

in Windows 10 News
    Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard: Since we last wrote about the future of EMET and how it relates to Windows 10 back in November 2016 (see Moving Beyond EMET), we have received lots of invaluable feedback from EMET customers and enthusiasts regarding the upcoming EMET end of life. Based on that feedback, we...