Windows 10: Empty dialogues appear after Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discus and support Empty dialogues appear after Windows 10 Anniversary Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After Windows 10 Anniversary update was installed the computer started having dialogue windows with no content. For example, if I want to close Word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ssddjj, Sep 4, 2016.

1. ssddjj Win User

Empty dialogues appear after Windows 10 Anniversary Update

After Windows 10 Anniversary update was installed the computer started having dialogue windows with no content.

For example, if I want to close Word by clicking the X at the top right corner, the close dialogue appears with its title but no content in the window. The functionality of the window still works, so if you press N on the keyboard Word quits without saving the document. This happens with lots of apps not just Word.

If I reinstall the graphics driver the computer works fine until I restart the computer and then the problem comes back.

Windows is up to date, the graphics drivers are up to date, BIOS is up to date.

I can't uninstall any Windows updates as it says that it has been more than 10 days since they were installed.

If I use PrtSc to get a screen shot of the problem, the screen shot is saved with the dialogue complete, i.e. not empty so I have to take a photo of the screen to demonstrate the problem.

:)

ssddjj, Sep 4, 2016

2. Screen update problems after Windows 10 anniversary update

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit fully up to date, Intel i7-5820K CPU @3.3GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780, Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard

Since installing Windows 10 Anniversary update, dialogues often appear empty, may be with just the title of the dialogue showing. If I reinstall the graphics driver, the computer seems to work fine but then when I restart the computer it has the same problem
    again. If you know what the short cut keys are for the dialogue then these still work. For example, when I click the X to quit Word, the window for the quit dialogue appears but there is no window content but pressing N not to save document still works and
    Word quits. This is a problem with lots of apps not just Word.

I have contacted Nvidia and they are still looking into it. I have got the latest BIOS. Windows says I can't roll back any updates because it's more than 10 days since they were installed. Didn't really want to have to do a complete reinstall.

Any ideas? Thanks.

SueDJackson, Sep 4, 2016
  3. Display issues after upgrade to Anniversary Edition

After this upgrade, the problem is that menus, context menus, and dialogue boxes appear but are empty. So I can see the border but none of the text inside.

Is this a known issue and do you know of a fix?

SteveLafIN, Sep 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you need to protect the driver that works for you from being replaced by Uncle MS and Windows, assuming that's what's happening- you can compare the versions.

You should be able to roll back the driver to the previous version, then protect it:

How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10
    See:
    Prevent a Driver or Update From Being Installed from Windows Update

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  6. ssddjj Win User
    Windows roll back for the driver is greyed out so I can't roll back. Also when I run the utility to hide Windows updates, there does not look like there is anything in the list that would affect the graphics driver.

I tried compatibility mode for the driver and it attempted to run it using Windows 8 which does not work, it can't run it using a previous version of Windows 10.

I have run sfc /scannow and no problems are detected.

So I am no further forward. No reply from Nvidia yet.

ssddjj, Sep 5, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  8. ssddjj Win User

I don't think that the driver is being replaced as the version number stays the same when I power up.

Why do you think that a different driver is being installed/updated by Windows when I power up?

It seems like a wrong dll or something is being used when I power up but somehow when I reinstall the driver the right dll gets used.

ssddjj, Sep 5, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    It was a reasonable assumption that's what was happening. Thanks for checking the version number.

Ok, try these things in turn: in each case try a restart.
    1. Disable fast startup if in use
    2. Try a clean boot

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  10. Based on your description, I can only think of two scenarios that might cause this:

• Hibernation: the issue is restored from the hiberfil
      Test by Try turning off hibernation. Follow 4. To Disable Hibernate in the tutorial. You can re-enable it if you wish after testing.

• Check system files:
      Right click the Windows icon
      Empty dialogues appear after Windows 10 Anniversary Update [​IMG]
      (aka Start button) on the Taskbar
      Select Command Prompt (Admin)

Enter the following lines in the Command Prompt window:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /ScanNow
      If there are any errors on the screen after the commands run,
      Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs
      Right click the CBS folder
      Select Send to > Compressed (zip) folder
      answer yes to place on DesktopAttach the zip folder to your next post
      Full tutorials:
      Run DISM in Command Prompt
      Run SFC /ScanNOW in Command Prompt

Slartybart, Sep 5, 2016
  11. ssddjj Win User
    I found that the service ASUS HM Com Service was the problem. It is part of the AI Suite III utility for the motherboard. I uninstalled the AI Suite III utility and then had to run an ASUS cleaner program which tidied up getting rid of the ASUS HM Com Service in the process.

Thank you everybody for your help. Greatly helped.

ssddjj, Sep 5, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Good news, that would have followed from my suggestion of a clean boot.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  13. ArchPrime Win User

Well done - worked for me as well

ArchPrime, Sep 12, 2016
  14. JPS
    JPS Win User
    Thank you I had exactly the same problem. How did you track the problem down? I de-installed AI Suite III and it fixed the problem completely. I have since re-installed the very latest version of AI Suite III dated 16-08-2016 with out any problems so far. Even after several shut downs and reboots.

Thema:

1. Empty dialogues appear after Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - Empty dialogues appear

2. Why is there a difference in the dialogue box that appears after clicking >This...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is there a difference in the dialogue box that appears after clicking >This...: Hi, Please review the screenshot: Why is there a difference in the dialogue box that appears after clicking >This PC>Documents and >This PC>Desktop in Windows 10? The 'Customise' tab is missing in the Desktop Properties dialogue box. Also, the Document Properties...
  3. Windows 10 anniversary update after problems

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 anniversary update after problems: Hi all, thanks for dropping by my post and having a read. So.. yes by the looks of things there seems to be on various boards problems with the windows 10 anniversary update. Unfortunately I am in that camp. 2 desktops and a laptop have all been struck with the same issue....
  4. Windows 10 Anniversary update

Windows 10 Anniversary update: Please bear with me.. I'm on my phone.. the Anniversary update must have taken over my computer. But.. is 5 hours normal? It did restart like it said a couple of times and the last percentage I saw was 59%, then the reboot again. It is "still" working on something. The circle...
  5. CPU problem after Anniversary Update on Windows 10

CPU problem after Anniversary Update on Windows 10: Apologies if this problem has been addressed before. On Sunday my laptop (bought new in May of this year) running Windows 10 Home 64 bit updated via Windows Updates to the Anniversary Update. All seemed to go well but now my CPU is running at almost 100% all the time....
  6. Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Windows 10 Anniversary Update: Everything seems to be running OK, but computer takes longer to shutdown.Has anyone else notice this ? 64111
  7. Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Windows 10 Anniversary Update: My system shows Ver 1511 10586.545, Anniversary update never comes up when I update daily? Running Windows10 64 bit Pro,should I just keeping checking for update. 62357
  8. Windows 10 anniversary update

Windows 10 anniversary update: Hi all this update is killing me I called MS they downloaded it agene for me .I get freezing and bsod every time I play a game and sometimes at idle I updated, repaired every game I have . I am tempted to buy windows10pro and block updates if I can. sorry for the rant I am...
  9. Windows 10 will not update to anniversary.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not update to anniversary.: So , I got a laptop with Windows 10 about a month ago. I had some problems with blue screen and things which happen sometimes but I am fine with it as it doesn't happen that often. Right now , my PC keeps insisting to update to Windows 10 Anniversary edition and everytime...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update: I have read other threads on this subject and have not found the solution to my problem in them. The Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade Assistant Icon appeared on my desktop. I began the process to update and received the error, SOMETHING WENT WRONG (code 0x80070057). Then...