Windows 10: Empty menu start

Discus and support Empty menu start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, since I remember i had problem with menu start on W10 - before format and now. after format I didn't seen problem untill i istalled uTorrent. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Szarky, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Szarky Win User

Empty menu start

Hello, since I remember i had problem with menu start on W10 - before format and now.
    after format I didn't seen problem untill i istalled uTorrent. I uninstalled it, restarted PC and it still looks like that.
    That's how it looks:

Empty menu start [​IMG]

Unfortunately i forgot to set restore point right after installing drivers, so this option is out.
    Any other ideas?

:)

Szarky, Sep 5, 2016
  2. PeterEM Win User

Start menu is broken/empty

@Anupkarkal1709

I upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro with the ISO from the MS website. The computer (16 GB memory, a recent 1 TB HD) became extremely slow, and the start button, search, and notification icons didn't respond to left-click except
    to spin a blue circle for a few seconds. I upgraded in place with Win 10 Pro again. Response became fast, but the icons didn't get better. I disabled Norton Internet Security for both installs.

I tried your 6-step method. The DISM and SFC commands return with no problems. When I use "*SystemApps*", in the powershell command (step 4), it returns immediately. In fact, the command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}

returns nothing. Upon looking around, it looks more appropriate to use "*WindowsApps*". When I use that (as an Administrator), I get many red error messages of one of these types:

Type 1, on the screen:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.

An internal error occurred with error 0x80073D05.

In the log:

error 0x800703FA: While reverting the request, the system failed to de-register the windows.stateExtension extension due to the following error: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion.

Type 2, on the screen:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.

error 0x80070005: Windows cannot register the package because of an internal error or low memory.

In the log:

error 0x80070005: While processing the request, the system failed to register the windows.activatableClass.collector extension due to the following error: Access is denied.

error 0x80070002: While reverting the request, the system failed to de-register the windows.stateExtension extension due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Type 3, on the screen:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D06, The package could not be installed because a higher version of this package is already installed.

Windows cannot install package Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22810.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe because it has version 14.0.22810.0. A higher version 14.0.22929.0 of this package is already installed.

In the log:

The specific error text for this failure is: Windows cannot install package Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22810.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe because it has version 14.0.22810.0. A higher version 14.0.22929.0 of this package is already
    installed.

I assume type 3 is due to yesterday's update. The non-responsive icons remained non-responsive, even after reboot. Can you make sense of this problem?

PeterEM, Sep 5, 2016
  3. Start menu is broken/empty

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

Please follow the below steps and check if it helps,

• Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
      • Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open
        Task Manager.
      • Click File > Run New Task
      • Make sure you have a check mark beside
        “Create this task with administrative privileges”
      • Type CMD.
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow
    • If EITHER command does not show a good outcome, we need to stop and repair Windows. We have 3 options:
      • Reset: If possible, remove Antivirus/Sec Software and perform a Reset (keeping data and settings). Users will need to reinstall apps with this option.
    • If the above commands both completed and show no remaining issues, run these commands:

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Check to be sure this command ran, showed a blue progress indicator and then returns to the prompt.
      • If you see a red error, then the command may have been typed or pasted incorrectly, or there may be a larger problem with Windows 10. Try again.
    • Check to see if the issue is resolved.
      • If not, restart the PC. In this case try as a new administrator user account.
      • If the new user also fails, go up to the steps for “3. If EITHER command does not show…” above. We need to repair Windows.
    Please refer the link on Set up accounts,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Please reply us back for further queries. We will be glad to assist you.

Anupkarkal1709, Sep 5, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Empty menu start

Hello Szarky, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you might see if using the method in the tutorial below reset your Start layout back to default may help. Afterwards, you'll need to pin to Start any items you want back again though.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 5, 2016
  5. Szarky Win User
    Well, actually it's not happening all the time - it happens sometimes with no reason. Sometimes it works sometimes it wont - there's no rule. Thanks for tip, and as soon as it occur I'll try trick with pin Empty menu start :p But if it gonna occur more than once per day, we gonna to find some other way.

Szarky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Empty menu start

1. Empty menu start - Similar Threads - Empty menu start

2. Windows 11 - No Start Menu, No Full Settings Menu, Empty Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - No Start Menu, No Full Settings Menu, Empty Taskbar: My boot drive repaired itself and now i have an empty taskbar. I also need to sign-in through a cmd prompt, not the normal log-in. I'll provide any info requested....
  3. Start menu not working and task bar empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not working and task bar empty: i updated my drivers and windows then my start menu and task bar stopped working. iv tried almost everything that's on the internet, but it doesn't look like the start menu is not even running in task manager....
  4. Start menu not working and task bar empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not working and task bar empty: i updated my drivers and windows then my start menu and task bar stopped working. iv tried almost everything that's on the internet, but it doesn't look like the start menu is not even running in task manager....
  5. Empty Edge icon in the Start Menu

in Browsers and Email
    Empty Edge icon in the Start Menu: Good morning. Since I updated to the latest Build 928 I disappeared the I Edge icon, I tried to restore the link to the Start menu even if you consider the "Add to Start" operation I get the same problem. I restored the image of the Build .867 Everything ok, when I upgrade to...
  6. Start Menu is completely empty.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu is completely empty.: For a while now my start menu has been completely empty I tried DISM and SFC tools but they didn't do anything. I also tried restarting windows explorer and I tried restarting my laptop ALOT. The Task Menu is fine and nothing is wrong with it, the only problem is that the...
  7. Another User: Taskbar Empty, Apps/Start Menu Not Starting

in Windows 10 Support
    Another User: Taskbar Empty, Apps/Start Menu Not Starting: Hello, So I recently updated my computer to 20H2 (W10 Pro 19042.630). Also, I removed the video card (GTX 670) and blew out dust from inside the case. Long story short. What's not happening is that when I login to any account, that account loads just fine. But when I attempt...
  8. Totally empty Start Menu in panel mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Totally empty Start Menu in panel mode: Hello All, I have encountered this strange behavior with my start menu. While in full screen mode all works fine, but in panel classic mode it does not show anything. Only power button, but when the task bar is on the bottom of the screen as my default, its not even there....
  9. Windows start menu is empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows start menu is empty: Some time ago I suddenly lost all menu tiles. I can create new tiles but all previous tiles are gone. I've created new ones for the programs I frequently use but nothing for those programs I seldom use. Does anyone know what caused this? Years ago before I retired I seem to...
  10. Start Menu > Power Submenu is empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu > Power Submenu is empty: Hello! I am new here, but I have a problem that I can't seem to find the answer to. Here is an image of what I am experiencing. [img] Has anyone come across this and found a solution? I'm running Window 10 Home Edition on an MSI CX61 Laptop. Thank you! 40632