Windows 10: 'Empty' open windows on Start Up

Discus and support 'Empty' open windows on Start Up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I login to my Lenovo laptop (which goes straight to desktop) I always have 5 open windows - this can be seen by alt-tab'ing. Two of these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by milkychips, Dec 27, 2015.

1. 'Empty' open windows on Start Up

Whenever I login to my Lenovo laptop (which goes straight to desktop) I always have 5 open windows - this can be seen by alt-tab'ing.
    Two of these (spotify and skype) are clickable, the other three are not named and do not have an icon or thumbnail that you can click on. The only option is to get rid of these 3 windows (by clicking the big X at the top right hand side of each window). If you choose not to close them, they will remain there whenever you switch (alt tab) between windows.

2 questions.
    How can I find out what these windows are?
    How can I ensure that they are no longer they when I reboot by machine?

Thanks

:)

milkychips, Dec 27, 2015
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

People app in Windows 10 doesn't show any contacts

The easiest way to solve this is by clearing the Windows Store cache by:

• Right-click the Start button and choose Run to open the Run window.
    • In the Run window, type in WSReset.exe and click OK.
    • An empty command prompt window will open up.
    • When the reset is complete, the window will close and the Store window will open.

Update us with the outcome.

Jelo Sen, Dec 27, 2015
  3. GJM1969 Win User
    Word opening automatically on startup (windows 10)

Hi Joseph

Thank you for replying. I had already tried that step also, but forgot to say so in my post.

My start up folder (using the method you suggested) is empty.

In case it may assist, I have also noticed that when WORD opens after start up, it opens up four separate times. That is, there are four new WORD windows open, each with a new document template. I also noticed that winword.exe appears four times under the
    "details" tab in task manager after start up, but it does not appear under the "start up" tab.

I hope you can provide some guidance on why this is happening.

Greg

GJM1969, Dec 27, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

'Empty' open windows on Start Up

Download and run ProcessExplorer. It does not need to be installed.

Once the error message or window is on the screen, start ProcessExplorer and drag the target icon and drop it on the error message window. It will show the process that generated that window highlighted in blue in the PE window.

Then use msconfig Startup (or Task Manager Startup tab) and Services tabs to find and disable that process.

Ztruker, Dec 28, 2015
  5. Hi Ztruker

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately there is no error message or window on the screen for me to drag the gun sight icon too, the only way I can view the un-clickable icons is if I hold down Alt-Tab, as shown in the attached screen grab.
    My only option is to close each window in Alt-Tab mode by clicking on the X at the top right.

'Empty' open windows on Start Up [​IMG]

As such, I have no idea what these windows are.

Thanks

milkychips, Dec 30, 2015
  6. bump

Does anybody know how I can get rid of these windows on Startup?

milkychips, Jan 3, 2016
  7. Wullail Win User
    you could go down the process list , stop the non-windows processes one by one and see if any of the windows vanish , quick and dirty method , but it would give you an idea what's causing them.

Wullail, Jan 3, 2016
  8. betayogi Win User

Add a screenshot of non-windows process from task manager. Have you recently hit by any malware ?

betayogi, Jan 3, 2016
  9. By non-windows process, do you mean those listed under BACKGROUND PROCESSES in task manager? There are 90 of those running so they wouldn't fit in a screenshot, many of which I do not know what they are. Does this sound like it is a lot?

As far as I am aware I haven't been hit by any malware

milkychips, Jan 3, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    90 is 20 to 30 processes to many (at least).

From Task Manager, click on the Startup tab. Look through that list and see if any are ones you don't need.
    Record what you are changing so you can put them back if needed.

Ztruker, Jan 4, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    @ milkychips:
    You might also check the 'Startup' folders at:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and
    C:\Users\{your moniker}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

to see if there are any unrecognized executable files, or others, in those folders.

Edwin, Jan 4, 2016
  12. mrgeek Win User
    Agreed. to 'milkychips'- I don't even know why you want Skype and Spotify to open a window on startup. I would start in the Task Manager and see if there are any Publisher entries not common or recognizable. Disable these and anything else you deem slowing down startup (like software updaters) and reboot until problem fixed. Easy enough to re-open Task Manager and re-enable anything later. see sample screen -

mrgeek, Jan 4, 2016
  13. 'Empty' open windows on Start Up

Thanks for your responses. mrgeek - as you suggested, I have disabled both Skype and Spotify from startup, as well as some other programs (the ones that I feel like I don't need).
    Of those that are still enabled, does anybody know which of these are safe to further disable, as I am still getting the three open windows on startup

milkychips, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 'Empty' open windows on Start Up - Similar Threads - 'Empty' open Start

2. Browser opening up on start up with a site

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser opening up on start up with a site: Today I started up my PC and my Chrome opened with an ad. I tried all the advice I found- disable browser from Start Up in Task Managertried, but the browser isn't there, because it was never allowed to to begin with, checking site settings and extensions, changing the...
  3. Quick action empty or not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick action empty or not opening: Hello, I'm on windows 11 and since some updates my quick action menu windows + A doesn't open anymore or it does sometimes but it is empty and looks like this there is nothing above : - I already tried to restart my computer- My windows + drivers are up-to-date- I already...
  4. Quick action empty or not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick action empty or not opening: Hello, I'm on windows 11 and since some updates my quick action menu windows + A doesn't open anymore or it does sometimes but it is empty and looks like this there is nothing above : - I already tried to restart my computer- My windows + drivers are up-to-date- I already...
  5. Spotify opening up on start up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spotify opening up on start up.: Hi all,So recently, every time I start up my device from a shutdown Spotify automatically opens up. The window does not appear on the screen, it just stays minimised in the background. I have a few questions, firstly, does Spotify come pre-installed/is it one of the default...
  6. Start Menu is completely empty.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu is completely empty.: For a while now my start menu has been completely empty I tried DISM and SFC tools but they didn't do anything. I also tried restarting windows explorer and I tried restarting my laptop ALOT. The Task Menu is fine and nothing is wrong with it, the only problem is that the...
  7. start up and open.

in Windows 10 Customization
    start up and open.: Whenever I get to my start page on my computer I can no longer click the screen and just sign in the only way it will take me to my password or pin is if I click the quiz which I do not want to show up on that screen anyway, this only started after an update so something...
  8. Windows start menu is empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows start menu is empty: Some time ago I suddenly lost all menu tiles. I can create new tiles but all previous tiles are gone. I've created new ones for the programs I frequently use but nothing for those programs I seldom use. Does anyone know what caused this? Years ago before I retired I seem to...
  9. Empty menu start

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty menu start: Hello, since I remember i had problem with menu start on W10 - before format and now. after format I didn't seen problem untill i istalled uTorrent. I uninstalled it, restarted PC and it still looks like that. That's how it looks: [img] Unfortunately i forgot to set...
  10. "Open With" choice at start up.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open With" choice at start up.: Since the fall update I am greeted with a choice dialog at start up. It doesn't say what it wants to open but lists a dozen programs. I tried a browser but all it said before loads of code was that this program could not be run in dos mode. If I click off the box it vanishes....