Windows 10: Empty Temporary Folders Appearing Outside System Temp Folder

Discus and support Empty Temporary Folders Appearing Outside System Temp Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently, based upon advice I read on another site, I moved the location of the system temporary folder from my SSD to my HDD. Now, I have empty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lightwriter, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Empty Temporary Folders Appearing Outside System Temp Folder

Recently, based upon advice I read on another site, I moved the location of the system temporary folder from my SSD to my HDD. Now, I have empty temporary folders (at least they start with Temp) appearing outside the system temporary folder. Here's a screenshot:

Empty Temporary Folders  Appearing Outside System Temp Folder [​IMG]

D:/Temp is the system temporary folder. I have no idea what all the other folders beginning with "Temp" are.

Any idea how to fix this?

:)

lightwriter, Feb 19, 2017

2. deleting files in temp folder

Many thanks for responding. I have no idea what the Delivery Optimization Files re all about so I will leave it alone but the System Created Windows Error Reports I will clean up and I did also delete the Temporary Internet Files in the Disc Cleanup as
    well but then when I went back in and checked the TEMP folder (not temporary internet folder) all the files to delete in the Temp folder were still there. So it is two different places to delete temp or temporary internet folders and it is just the TEMP FOLDER
    I want to empty by going to RUN, type in TEMP and then heaps of files come up to delete. I then have to select them all and then delete them. These are the ones that no longer delete.MANY THANKS

LIZ

Cute Lilly, Feb 19, 2017
  3. MHD52 Win User
    Temp Accounts Being Created

When I log in to my account, MS or local, a Temporary Account keeps getting created. Also a Temp folder under Users folder. Which is empty. This has been an ongoing problem for a month and is very annoying. I have to log out, then restart my system in order
    to clear out the Temp account. And when the Temp account is created, it flags me that my files and folders are inaccessable. I have created new accounts per Microsoft to clear up this problem and nothing seems to resolve the probem. I even did a reset of
    the system and still this problem exist.

MHD52, Feb 19, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Empty Temporary Folders Appearing Outside System Temp Folder

Did you change the system variable when you moved it? open a cmd prompt type

set

wht does it show for temp?

Samuria, Feb 19, 2017
  5. TEMP=D:\Temp
    TMP=D:\Temp

6. Bree New Member
    Permissions for D:\Temp? SYSTEM should have full control.

Ah! @lightwriter, you have Photoshop, don't you *Smile

Photoshop CC fills root of my boot drive with "Tempzxpsign" folders | Photoshop Family Customer Community

That last sentence is disputed later in the thread, read it all.

7. Guilty as charged.

I only wish Patrick Philpot (in the Adobe forums), would have stated with what other programs that could cause problems. Since about all I use is Photoshop, Lightroom, and Chrome, I may risk it.

8. Bree New Member

An alternative solution could be to use Disk Management to create a virtual drive (a .vxd file) on your D:\ drive and point your %TEMP% and %TMP% to that. No need for an extra '\' that way.

9. Thanks for the suggestion! I have been away from the windows world for ten years, and there is so much that Windows 10 can do that I didn't know it could do.

lightwriter, Feb 22, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    You're welcome, thank for the rep.

Thema:

1. Empty Temporary Folders Appearing Outside System Temp Folder - Similar Threads - Empty Temporary Folders

2. Huge number of empty folders in my Windows 11 Windows\Temp folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Huge number of empty folders in my Windows 11 Windows\Temp folder: Is this a problem? I seem to have very many folders sitting in windows\temp, which remain even after doing a full Disk Cleanup. meaning even after doing a Clean Up System Files.,I suppose I could delete them all using File Explorer, but that should not be necessary. How many...
  3. Huge number of empty folders in my Windows 11 Windows\Temp folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Huge number of empty folders in my Windows 11 Windows\Temp folder: Is this a problem? I seem to have very many folders sitting in windows\temp, which remain even after doing a full Disk Cleanup. meaning even after doing a Clean Up System Files.,I suppose I could delete them all using File Explorer, but that should not be necessary. How many...
  4. Temp Folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Temp Folder: I am logged in as administrator but in Users there is only a TEMP folder. All of my data is saved in that Temp folder. Where can I find my administrator folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temp-folder/fc67fab3-5b30-42c3-a957-2f3c7543c949
  5. Temp Folder Emptied?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Temp Folder Emptied?: Does the Temp folder get emptied regularly? I have a screensaver that stores the options in the Temp folder, and every weekend I have to setup the options again. Something is clearing the folder out every weekend, I just had to go in and redo the setting again this morning,...
  6. %temp% folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    %temp% folder: Can anyone help me? I'm having trouble with the %temp%, whenever I open temp folder through Win+r then typing %temp% it does not direct me to the temp folder. It open a file, and my computer always ask How do you want to open this file? Please help me to fix this problem. All...
  7. Windows\Temp Empty Folders

Windows\Temp Empty Folders: Starting this month, I have noticed a bunch of empty folders being created in the Windows\Temp folder. This is occurring on both v1809 and v1903. They appear to be generated shortly after boot up creating approximately 19 of these folders each time. The empty folders have the...
  8. C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight EMPTY FOLDERS

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight EMPTY FOLDERS: I have run Disk Cleanup for System Files already a few times and it has done nothing to delete the 4400+ empty folders in C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight. I know enough to never delete even a single file in the Windows folder. What about completely empty folders though?...
  9. Temp folder keeps appearing on flash drives

Temp folder keeps appearing on flash drives: EVERY time I put a flash drive in my PC, windows installs a temp folder on it full of crap which is usually undeleteable. I can eventually get access to kill it, by removing it and reinstalling it, then quickly deleting it while it's not looking or something. ;) It always...
  10. Temp folder %temp %

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp folder %temp %: Hello I recently installed 2 updates from NVIDEA. I have run disc clean up and Ccleaner>Windows but this attachment says it all. I could use 'Unlocker' but do not want to do damage if the file should not be removed. Do you have any suggestions? TY Peter 43679