Windows 10: Empty USB ports showing in file explorer

Discus and support Empty USB ports showing in file explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just put the 1511 upgrade on (for the third time, but that's another story). I've noticed that when I open File Explorer I have a WHOLE BUNCH of USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GracieAllen, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Empty USB ports showing in file explorer

I just put the 1511 upgrade on (for the third time, but that's another story). I've noticed that when I open File Explorer I have a WHOLE BUNCH of USB ports that have nothing plugged into them... I have no idea what the upgrade did, but these weren't visible previously. How do I turn them off?

And yes, I've gone into the File explorer options in the control panel and UNCHECKED "Hide empty drives". Didn't appear to make any difference...

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 1, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 Search

• Insert the USB flash drive to a USB port on your computer.
    • Open File Explorer.
    • Double-click on the icon for your USB flash drive.
    • A new File Explorer window will open that shows all the files on the USB flash drive.

BulldogXX, Dec 1, 2015
  3. usb device charging but not available

Have connected a Kindle, and android phone through USB connecctions. Tried 3 different USB ports. They charge but do not show on file explorer or "devices and printers".

JeanHolmanVB, Dec 1, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

Empty USB ports showing in file explorer

If you have a card reader, that's what those ports are for.

essenbe, Dec 1, 2015
  5. I know what they're for, I just don't understand why they're showing up... PREVIOUSLY, file browser didn't show all the empty USB ports. If I plugged something IN, it would show up, but if it was empty, nope... As it is, I have about 8 - 10 USB ports showing up in the file browser that don't have anything in them.

It happened after I did the 1511 upgrade, which failed and ended with me blowing away the world and doing a clean install. Even on the new install they're STILL THERE... It's not a huge problem other than being annoying 'cause the list of "disks" is a whole lot longer than it was before, but WHY are the now showing up and how do I turn them off if there's nothing plugged in?

GracieAllen, Dec 2, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Check for one your File Explorer Options in Control Panel under View Tab, do you have Show Hidden Files,Folders and Drives selected ?

jds63, Dec 2, 2015
  7. Lucifia Win User
    I think you should read his first post again. He just said that option is unchecked.

Lucifia, Dec 3, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Thanks missed that, sure Gracie is a he ?

jds63, Dec 3, 2015
  9. Gracie, COULD be a cat...

I actually care less about the things showing up than about knowing WHY they're showing up. They never did BEFORE the 1511 upgrade.

GracieAllen, Dec 3, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    Are both of these checked:

Empty USB ports showing in file explorer [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 3, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    O.k. just not assuming you were a he. I have a Multi card reader mine show up because i want them to, and have it checked to show them like from same area Edwin's pic shows, but said had this unchecked already from your first post.

jds63, Dec 3, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
    George Burns would object. *Wink

essenbe, Dec 3, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Say Good Night, Gracie! *chuckle

jds63, Dec 3, 2015
  14. she says, "Good Night".........

Not only is the box to not show empty drives checked, BUT with Windows 10 re-installed, all the empty USB ports are not only showing up, THEY'RE NOT SHOWING UP IN ORDER!

I have a bunch of real disk drives , say C,D,F,(H), L,(M,N)P,S, along with the empties, then the drives with USB flash drives actually in them are listed E,I... It's really odd looking........ Just one of those bizarre Windows 10 things?

GracieAllen, Dec 5, 2015
  15. jds63 Win User
    O.k. one question i never knew was did you have a front Card Reader on this PC or you just have USB ports on this PC ? If possible update your system specs as much as possible as it show Win 7 here to. Disk management can change letters which will change the order, but since not sure what USB ports or if any card reader ports i would not suggest yet changing it. Can you take screen shots of file explorer and Disk management and post them here.

jds63, Dec 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Empty USB ports showing in file explorer - Similar Threads - Empty USB ports

2. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  3. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  4. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. File Explorer showing external drive connected to router as empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer showing external drive connected to router as empty: Hi, any help would be appreciated. I have CAX30 AX2700 modem router with USB connected external 8GB drive. I use the drive for playing videos only through Plex Media. The system is Windows 11 Home, 64 Until yesterday everything was working just fine. The external drive was...
  6. file explorer does not show me the usb ports?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer does not show me the usb ports?: I can no longer find my drives on files explorer. Forgave me if the information is out there and I just cant see it. thank you. I am 75 and my eyes are bad. Some of the help information does not enlarge enough for me to read,...
  7. File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access: When I open file explorer the thumbnails just shows the white paper symbol no matter if the file in question is a folder, picture, or anything else.Then when I close file explorer and open it again the only thing shown is an empty quick access screen.I've tried to run sfc...
  8. Unknown USB Device in Empty Port

Unknown USB Device in Empty Port: Following a clean install of Windows Version 20H2 (Build 19042.867), I received an error message that Windows did not recognize the last USB device connected. Within Device Manager, the device status was reported as: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported...
  9. USB showing in diskpart but not file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB showing in diskpart but not file explorer: I accidentally made a partition on my usb in diskpart, but now I cant see the drive in THIS PC submitted by /u/SonicBeast25 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g5pwea/usb_showing_in_diskpart_but_not_file_explorer/
  10. USB PORTS NOT SEEN IN FILE EXPLORER

USB PORTS NOT SEEN IN FILE EXPLORER: In WINDOWS 10 PRO, my USB ports were working/being recognized (with drive a drive letter) fine until I did a backup using Paragon Software from one external drive to another external drive. Now, neither of the two USB ports are being seen in Windows File Explorer. However,...