Windows 10: Enable/Disable USB device on a schedule

Discus and support Enable/Disable USB device on a schedule in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Seagate Backup Plus 5TB external HD conntected to my PC via USB. The external HD is only used for weekly backups. It is the loudest component... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LeeroyJenkins, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Enable/Disable USB device on a schedule

I have a Seagate Backup Plus 5TB external HD conntected to my PC via USB. The external HD is only used for weekly backups. It is the loudest component of my PC. I don't want to listen to the HD spinning up, which happens frequently from what I can only assume to be background Windows processes.

I currently have the external HD disabled through Device Manager. I manually enable it on Sunday evening before going to bed so that the scheduled backup can write to it over night. I disable the external HD again in the morning so it will remain silent. I would like to be able to schedule the device to automatically enable/disable before/after the scheduled backups. This will ensure the backups happen even if I forget to manually enable the device.

I have tried to figure out a way to do this using Task Scheduler, but didn't see how I could set this up as a task. I have also tried creating two batch files (one to enable, one to disable) that would change the Start value in the USBSTOR registry key but I could not get this to work successfully. When I ran the batch file to disable USB storage I was still able to see and access the external HD (I confirmed that the Start value did change to a 4 which is supposed to disable, so not sure what I did wrong here). The plan was to set up the batch files to execute using Task Scheduler. Not sure if that would have worked anyway, as the batch files need to be run as administrator.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any freeware available that would allow for a scheduled enable/disable of a USB device? Appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks in advance.

:)

LeeroyJenkins, Jun 7, 2016

2. What is needed to be able to sync?

Hi there Elrendhel, i do indeed use the USB cord to connect.

This is the what i see from ActiveSync on the computer when connected:

(note: since i have ActiveSync with Swedish language i have translated everything in this thread, so they may not appear exactly the same as on the English version of ActiveSync)

File Menu -

Synchronize (grey/disabled)

Mobile unit > (grey/disabled)

Remove mobile unit (grey/disabled)

Connection settings (enabled)

Close (enabled)

Show Menu -

Toolbar (enabled)

Information (enabled)

Tools Menu -

Alternatives (grey/disabled)
    Schedule... (grey/disabled)

Security (grey/disabled)

Add server source... (grey/disabled)

Add/remove programs... (Enabled)

Explore unit (Enabled)

Advanced tools -

Edit settings for file conversion (Enabled)

Get unit certificate (grey/disabled)

Activate IRM (grey/disabled)

Help Menu -

*All options enabled

Toolbar -

Synchronize (grey/disabled) - Schedule (grey/disabled)
    - Explore (enabled)

Feelds below Toolbar -

Guest (big and gray)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Connected

Hide information

Information type | Status |

[This feeld is totally empty]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the HTC Touch Cruise the ActiveSync program says this (again, translated from Swedish):

If you want to synchronize your unit with a

stationary computer you have to install

the synchronization program, that is available

on the Getting Started CD, on your computer.

If your company support synchronization

direct with the Exchange server you can

configure your unit to synchronize with it.

Read more about synchronization with a server.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sync (grey/disabled) Menu (enabled) -

Alternatives... (grey/disabled)

Scheduling... (grey/disabled)

Status... (grey/disabled)

Add serversource (grey/disabled)

Connections... (grey/disabled)

Connect via Bluetooth (grey/disabled)

--------------------------------------------------------

I hope this was the information you requested...

MargotSchnyder, Jun 7, 2016
  3. XikZ Win User
    Task Scheduler "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed" Always True?

That article applies to enabling the option to Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed. I am trying to disable that option, but the behavior of the scheduler is as if the option was enabled.

XikZ, Jun 7, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Enable/Disable USB device on a schedule

Ztruker, Jun 7, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Your best thing to do is to back it up on your schedule. Not much that you can do to make Platter units quiet, unless you go with something like the Fantom eSATA/USB 3.0 drives.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Enable/Disable USB device on a schedule

1. Enable/Disable USB device on a schedule - Similar Threads - Enable Disable USB

2. Enable/Disable Audio devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable/Disable Audio devices: Hi,I want to enable/disable audio devices listed in sound control panel mmsys.cpl but either through programmatically or through any power shell commands/scripts.I tried using WMI APIs, Core Audio APIs, pnputil, devcon utilities. But with any of these I am either able to...
  3. Enable/Disable Audio devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable/Disable Audio devices: Hi,I want to enable/disable audio devices listed in sound control panel mmsys.cpl but either through programmatically or through any power shell commands/scripts.I tried using WMI APIs, Core Audio APIs, pnputil, devcon utilities. But with any of these I am either able to...
  4. Enable/Disable Audio devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Enabling/Disabling USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling/Disabling USB: Hello, I am trying to find the status of my USB ports and then disable the port. The command I have used is: Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR\" -Name "start" -Value 4 This command is not disabling the USB port, but the registry is being...
  6. Enabling/Disabling USB

Enabling/Disabling USB: Hello, I am trying to find the status of my USB ports and then disable the port. The command I have used is: Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR\" -Name "start" -Value 4 This command is not disabling the USB port, but the registry is being...
  7. Enabling/Disabling USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Scheduled Re-enabling of disabled account in Active Directory

Scheduled Re-enabling of disabled account in Active Directory: Hello all,Is there a way to schedule a user's account to be re-enabled in Active Directory without having to download 3rd party software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scheduled-re-enabling-of-disabled-account-in/65caa82c-9fb8-49c2-9926-eef33cc786b7
  9. Scheduled Re-enabling of disabled account in Active Directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scheduled Re-enabling of disabled account in Active Directory: Hello all,Is there a way to schedule a user's account to be re-enabled in Active Directory without having to download 3rd party software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scheduled-re-enabling-of-disabled-account-in/65caa82c-9fb8-49c2-9926-eef33cc786b7
  10. Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows How to Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will automatically run the System Maintenance troubleshooter on a scheduled basis in the background...