Windows 10: Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Enable Download to Host from Windows Defender Application Guard Microsoft Edge... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to: Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Enable Download to Host from Windows Defender Application Guard Microsoft Edge session in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

Microsoft Edge running in Application Guard provides the maximum level of protection from malware and zero day attacks against Windows. Windows Defender Application Guard for Microsoft Edge is a lightweight virtual machine that helps isolate potentially malicious website activity from reaching your operating systems, apps, and data.

There is no persistence of any cookies or local storage when an Application Guard window is closed in Microsoft Edge.

Three core features of Windows Defender Application Guard:
    • Isolated Browsing - Windows Defender Application Guard uses the latest virtualization technology to help protect your operating system by creating an isolated environment for your Microsoft Edge session.
    • Help Safeguard your PC - Windows Defender Application Guard starts up every time you visit a non-work-related site to help keep potentially malicious attacks away from your PC.
    • Malware Removal - Any websites you visit, files you download, or settings you change while in this isolated environment are deleted when you sign out of Windows, wiping out any potential malware.
    Starting with WDAG Microsoft Edge browsing session onto the host file system.

After this policy (feature) is enabled, users can download files from their Windows Defender Edge session to their Downloads folder and open all files on the host. The files from Application Guard will be saved in a folder called Untrusted Files nested inside the Downloads folder. This folder is created automatically when the user first downloads a file from Application Guard after enabling the policy.

Notes:
    • This feature is off by default.
    • Users will need to assess the files they downloaded and assume any risks of opening on the host.
    Requirements:
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to download files from within a Windows Defender Application Guard Microsoft Edge session to the host for all users in Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise.

*WarningYou must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the ability to download files from within a Windows Defender Application Guard Microsoft Edge session to the host operating system.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge session in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge session using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Download to host from Windows Defender Application Guard Microsoft Edge session enabled and disabled

Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge session in Local Group Policy Editor
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the location below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Application Guard

3. In the right pane of Windows Defender Application Guard in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow files to download and save to the host operating system from Windows Defender Application Guard policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge session
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge session
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge session using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\AppHVSI

SaveFilesToHost DWORD

(delete) = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge session
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_SaveFilesToHost_in_Windows_Defender_Application_Guard_Edge_session.reg

Download

3. To Disable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge session
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_SaveFilesToHost_in_Windows_Defender_Application_Guard_Edge_session.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 29, 2016

2. How can I set EDGE to by default download to D:\Downloads

Hi:

I do not use Edge, but here is one suggested method (it dates from Aug 2015, but I presume the steps are still valid):

How to change the default Microsoft Edge download location - gHacks Tech News

EDIT: And here is a tutorial right here in tenforums.com:
    Microsoft Edge Downloads Folder - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 27, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Couple Windows 10/Microsoft Edge Questions

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

I would suggest you to refer to the below steps to change the default download location in Microsoft Edge Browser.

• Open File Explorer.

• Right click on Downloads and select
      Properties.

• Select Location tab and click Move
      and then select where you want to have your downloads to be saved.

For more information about Microsoft Edge browser, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/microsoft-edge

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Mann_Manohar, Oct 27, 2019
  5. btarunr Win User
    Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

Dolby Laboratories, Inc. and Microsoft Corporation announced today that Dolby Audio is selected to be a part of the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system and will be natively supported by the new Microsoft Edge browser for the playback of web-based content as well as accessible by third-party Windows Store apps. Users of Microsoft Windows 10 PCs and tablets will enjoy Dolby quality audio experiences through Windows entertainment apps and through Microsoft Edge.

Dolby Audio (supporting Dolby Digital Plus) will be available in x86 Windows 10 PCs and tablets for playback of movies, TV shows, and videos with crisp, clear dialogue and greater detail of sounds. Windows 7 and 8 users may upgrade to Windows 10 for free and continue to experience Dolby quality audio consistently across headphones, built-in PC and tablet speakers, or connected home theater systems. Microsoft Edge will be the first browser to leverage the Dolby Digital Plus decoder on the Windows 10 operating system, enabling online content providers to enrich the entertainment experiences of millions of Internet users globally with Dolby Audio.

"We are excited about the collaboration and partnership with Microsoft and share in the commitment to providing the best entertainment experiences possible to consumers across a wide range of devices in the Windows 10 ecosystem," said John Couling, Senior Vice President, E-Media Business Group, Dolby Laboratories. "With the launch of Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge in nearly 200 countries, Dolby and Microsoft will enable better user experiences with high-quality audio that is robust, consistent, and at a scale necessary for the large Windows ecosystem."

"At Microsoft, we are committed to delivering the richest, most immersive, entertainment experiences with Windows 10," said David Treadwell, Corporate Vice President, Operating Systems Group, Microsoft. "With Dolby Audio incorporated into the Windows 10 platform and Microsoft Edge, content providers will be able to deliver their content with superior sound in Dolby Audio for a wide range of Windows 10 based PCs and tablets."

btarunr, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Drone Win User
    Drone, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

1. Enable Download to Host from WDAG Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Download Host

2. Help downloading images from microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help downloading images from microsoft edge: So when I look at an image, let's say it's a picture of a fox and I hover the image and it gives you the resolution [ATTACH] But when I save the file and open it up it's really small and not the resolution it was. Any help would be appreciated....
  3. Microsoft admits Windows 10 bug crashes Sandbox and WDAG

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft admits Windows 10 bug crashes Sandbox and WDAG: Microsoft has been throttling the rollout of the May 2020 Update for Windows 10 to identify and address bugs that might have been skipped during the beta testing last year. It appears that Windows 10 version 2004, version 1909, and even version 1903 updates are plagued with a...
  4. WDAG + CFA --> No keyboard input on Edge

in Browsers and Email
    WDAG + CFA --> No keyboard input on Edge: Hi! I have just noticed that when I have Controlled Folder Access (CFA, block mode) and I open up Edge via Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) I am unable to type anything on Edge. Mouse is fine. Navigation (as long as keyboard input is not needed) is fine as well....
  5. How to enable a hosted network on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to enable a hosted network on windows 10?: I'm trying to enable a hosted adhoc network on Windows 10. I used the powershell to create the hosted network but now I can not get it to enable. I use the command: netsh wlan start hostednetwork I get a resource unavailable error. What am I doing wrong?...
  6. Enable Allow files to download to the Host setting on Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable Allow files to download to the Host setting on Edge in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows Defender Application Guard makes sure that any file you download stays in the virtual container. This makes sure that malicious files don’t breach into the host system. However, sometimes you need to download files to the host. Microsoft has offered this...
  7. enable windows script host

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    enable windows script host: Help me please, I cannot find how to enable windows script host. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/enable-windows-script-host/99c42619-8537-416c-86dc-e6f27449fa72
  8. Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...
  9. Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Printing in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...
  10. View Microsoft Edge Downloads in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Microsoft Edge Downloads in Windows 10: How to: View Microsoft Edge Downloads in Windows 10 How to View Downloads in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with...