Windows 10: Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows How to Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 7, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows

Users are allowed read and write access to all removable storage devices they connect to the computer by default in Windows.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable read and write access to all removable storage devices for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable read and write access to all removable storage devices.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Access is denied to a removable disk

Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Removable Storage Access

3. In the right pane of Removable Storage Access in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the All Removable Storage classes: Deny all access policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Access to All Removable Storage Devices
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\RemovableStorageDevices

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\RemovableStorageDevices

Deny_All DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Access to All Removable Storage Devices
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_access_to_all_removable_storage_devices.reg

Download

3. To Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_access_to_all_removable_storage_devices.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 7, 2018

2. Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices

Prevent users from writing or reading files and folders for a removable drive.

Code:
    *ArrowEnable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows

FreeBooter, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Internal Storage devices being detected as removable devices

Hi,

I would suggest you to update your storage controller driver.

Method 1: Update Storage Controller Driver

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Update Driver Software.
    • Wait for sometime and check if the issue persists.
    • Restart your system.
    Method 2: Uninstall and then reinstall Storage Controller driver from the Manufacturer's Website

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Uninstall.
    • Now, go to the Manufacturer's website and download the latest storage controller driver.
    • Once the download is complete, double-click and run the setup file to complete installation.
    • Restart your system.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows

Re-enable audio device

Hi,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.

• Are using speakers / head phones to listen to audio?
    If you have disabled the audio device, then you might not see it under the list of playback devices. I would suggest you to follow these steps to make sure you see the disabled devices:

• Open
        Control panel

• Click Hardware and Sound and then Click on
        Sounds.

• Under Playback tab, right click on the empty area and make sure
        “Show Disabled Devices” has a check mark on it. If headphones/Speakers are disabled, it will now show up in the list.

• Right click on the device and
        Enable it. Click OK.
    If the issue still persists, try enabling speakers automatically using steps below.

• Go to Settings> Click on themes> Advance sound settings> right click on the speakers or the audio device youo have connected > click on
      Configure device.

• Test the sound level you want, click Next.

• And configure the audio devices.

Hope this helps you. Do reply if you need further assistance on Windows 10.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Remove Devices

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while removing the device from your Microsoft account as it keeps popping back after removing.

It could be possible that the device was using OneDrive with the same Microsoft account and that might be the reason you are able to see the device listed under your profile. I would suggest you to remove the device from OneDrive
    and see if that helps.

You can follow the steps to remove the device from OneDrive.

1. Login to
      https://onedrive.live.com
    2. Now on the left hand pane click on PC’s.
    3. Now click on the devices that are listed under PC’s and on the right hand side click on
      Remove PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 27, 2019
  6. hellrazor Win User
    Easy enable/disable microphone?

My bro just got a microphone and I was wondering if there's an easy way to enable or disable it. I know you can right click on the volume icon, click on select recording devices then select the microphone, then click properties, then click on levels, and mute it - but that's just way too many steps, I'm looking for a more obvious and much easier way to do it.

hellrazor, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Access

2. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices: Is there a way to change the default behavior so 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is automatically disabled for new devices that are plugged into a USB port?...
  3. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices: Is there a way to change the default behavior so 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is automatically disabled for new devices that are plugged into a USB port?...
  4. Disable Power Management for all USB Mass Storage Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows disabling and enabling all my audio devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows disabling and enabling all my audio devices: I recently reset my computer, and now after re-installing everything my audio devices are in a permanent loop of getting disabled and enabled whether it be a Bluetooth speaker system or a wired headset...
  6. How to disable Removable Storage classes and access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Removable Storage classes and access in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to disable access to removable storage devices and ports in a […] This article How to disable Removable Storage classes and access in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Blocked access to D:\ drive after enabling Policy All Removable Storage classes: Deny all...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blocked access to D:\ drive after enabling Policy All Removable Storage classes: Deny all...: Hi All, Almost my user is using Windows 10 version 1903 (OS build 18362.418). I am expecting to block their USB or Removable Storage. I have created a GPO for blocking Removable Storage Access for a long time and it worked without any issue. The setting of GPO like this:...
  8. Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable Access to All Removable Storage Devices: Prevent users from writing or reading files and folders for a removable drive. Code: @Echo Off & Cls net sess>nul 2>&1||(powershell start cmd -ArgumentList """/c %~0""" -verb Runas & exit) Cls & Mode CON LINES=11 COLS=70 & Color 0E & Title Created By Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo....
  9. Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10 Starting with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to save you an extra step...
  10. Enable or Disable Installation of Removable Devices in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Installation of Removable Devices in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Installation of Removable Devices in Windows How to Enable or Disable Installation of Removable Devices in Windows By default, Windows will install removable devices (ex: USB flash drive) when first connected to your PC. If you like, you can...