Windows 10: Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing

Discus and support Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing How to Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 22, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing

How to: Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing

How to Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing in Windows

By default, Windows will animate (fade and slide) windows when you minimize and maximize them.

If you don't like this animation, then you can disable it to have windows minimize and maximize instantly without any animation.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable animate windows when minimizing and maximizing for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing in Visual Effects Performance Options
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing

Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing in Visual Effects Performance Options
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open to the Visual Effects tab in Performance Options

2. Check (enable - default) or uncheck (disable) Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

MinAnimate string value

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the REG file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Animate_windows_when_minimizing_and_maximizing.reg

Download

3. To Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the REG file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Animate_windows_when_minimizing_and_maximizing.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 22, 2018

2. Change animation delay for "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" in "Performance Options" in "System Properties"

I'm facing the same issue.

Since the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 the Lock Screen picture seem to be linked with the option "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing". If I want to see a Lock Screen picture I need to
    enable this option.

In the past I disabled the option because I really dislike the animation when switching from a desktop to another because it is an unnecessary delay during work.

Another solution then giving a solution for improving animation speed like it has been asked by JerryWooCW, would be to go back to the situation before the Anniversary Update and Microsoft should
    delete the link between the Lock Screen and this option that.

Sebastian_DE, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Change animation delay for "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" in "Performance Options" in "System Properties"

Hi,

Since the the Anniversary Update, I've encountered this issue.

Black/Empty Lock Screen Windows 10 After Anniversary Update

So basically the solution to this is to enable the option "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing".

However I dislike the animations and it annoys me as i want to make my system snappy.

Is there anyway to change the windows animation delay? Like to 1ms or something.

Note: MenuShowDelay does not work as it only affects the start menu.

Thanks.

JerryWooCW, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing

Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing

most of the animation options are turned off for the sole purpose of enhanced performance not only for gaming but for everyday use as well. It has always been great and enjoyable using my laptop when it's snappy. One issue though, i found out that when
    the 'Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing' option is turned off and i lock my screen or boot my laptop from a shutdown state, there is no background wallpaper even if there's a wallpaper set. The background only appears when i click something on
    the keyboard to sign in. I am on windows 10 (anniversary updated).

Is this a bug or an issue? Are there any fixes? Are previous builds prior to the windows 10 anniversary update experiencing this or not?

Erwyne Santos, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Welcome screen

Hello,

Windows Spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen. You might have accidentally disabled the
    Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing setting. To check if it was disabled, kindly follow the steps below.

• Click on the Windows icon; in the search bar, type This PC.
    • Right-click This PC; then select Properties.
    • Select Advanced system settings; then click Performance settings.
    • Check if Visual Effects is disabled or turned off.
    If so, kindly enable Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing.

If Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing is enabled, we recommend that you check the Lock Screen settings of the PC by following the instructions below.

• Click the Windows icon; select Settings; then click Personalization.
    • Select Lock Screen; check if the Background is toggled to Windows spotlight.

Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing f109a6c0-96c0-40cc-8b5d-5bd2d8f0243d.png

We also suggest that you check the article below for reference.

Configure Windows Spotlight on the lock screen

Let us know if the solution helps.

Vanessa Oca, Oct 27, 2019
  6. newtekie1 Win User
    win 7 aero minimize/maximize question

Yes.

Right Click "Computer" and go to "Properties". This will bring up the "System" window.

On the left click on "Advanced System Settings". This will bring up the "System Properties" window.

It should default to the "Advanced" tab, if not go there now.

Then click on the "Settings..." button under the "Performance" section.

In the "Visual Effects" tab, there is a box filled with options.

Uncheck the box next to "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing".

This will make it so that when you close, minimize, or maximize a window it instantly does it without the stupid animation, and without having to completely disable Aero or any other pretty GUI features.

*Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing

1. Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Animate

2. No window maximize, minimize and popup animations inside windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No window maximize, minimize and popup animations inside windows 11: I believe this problem is caused by an unwanted change inside the windows registry,I have this problem where all my windows animations are present except window maximize, minimize and popup animations. I have all window animations turned on. I've tried to tinker with some...
  3. No window maximize, minimize and popup animations inside windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No window maximize, minimize and popup animations inside windows 11: I believe this problem is caused by an unwanted change inside the windows registry,I have this problem where all my windows animations are present except window maximize, minimize and popup animations. I have all window animations turned on. I've tried to tinker with some...
  4. minimized window isn't restored maximized although it was maximized before minimizing

in Windows 10 Customization
    minimized window isn't restored maximized although it was maximized before minimizing: Hi! I work with AutoCAD LT 2019 in maximized windows. When I minimize them and then restore, they don't get to the previous maximized state, but instead they are restored to the "normal" size. This is not the expected behaviour. All other programs and applications get...
  5. Window Minimize/Maximize broken animation (was same before the 'modifications')

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Window Minimize/Maximize broken animation (was same before the 'modifications'): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hackslashX [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hqwv67/window_minimizemaximize_broken_animation_was_same/
  6. minimize/maximize disappear

minimize/maximize disappear: on windows taskbar, I can "X" out of a screen, but there is no longer a minimize - or maximize -screen function, just the "X". What did I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/minimizemaximize-disappear/5859e95b-8b5b-4ee7-ad05-328a843e6f7f
  7. Minimize/maximize window

Minimize/maximize window: The line to minimize and the square to maximize window has disappeared from the top right of the screen. The only option shown is the x to close window. How do I restore the minimize and maximize option?...
  8. No maximize or minimize tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No maximize or minimize tab: Issue with no minimize or maximize tabs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/no-maximize-or-minimize-tab/68847e49-620a-4f91-b9f4-7d41a540c126
  9. Enable or Disable Animations in the Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Animations in the Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Animations in the Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Animations in the Taskbar in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 uses animations in the taskbar. Some examples of taskbar animation are: Slide effect when dragging icons on...
  10. Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Dragging Maximized Windows in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, you can drag a maximized window from its title bar to restore down or move to another display. This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change animate windows when minimize and maximize win 10