Windows 10: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by PCFAN2016, Feb 8, 2016.

1. PCFAN2016 Win User

Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer.

This includes tasks such as software updates, Windows Updates, security scanning, and system diagnostics. This maintenance will run daily if you aren't using your computer at the time you've chosen. If your computer is in use at the scheduled time or maintenance is behind schedule, Automatic Maintenance will run the next time the computer is not being used.

The goal of Automatic Maintenance is to combine all background maintenance activity in Windows and help third-party developers add their maintenance activity to Windows without negatively impacting performance and energy efficiency. Additionally, Automatic Maintenance enables users as well as enterprises to be in control of maintenance activity scheduling and configuration.

It is recommended to leave Automatic Maintenance enabled, but sometimes you may wish or need to disable it.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Automatic Maintenance as needed in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable Automatic Maintenance.

When Automatic Maintenance is disabled, the daily scheduled maintenance will be disabled, and users will not be able to manually start maintenance.

Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Maintenance

MaintenanceDisabled DWORD

0 or delete = enable
    1 = disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Automatic Maintenance
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Automatic_Maintenance.reg

Download

3. To Disable Automatic Maintenance
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Automatic_Maintenance.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

PCFAN2016, Feb 8, 2016

2. Windows 10 always auto steathly resumes my computor at niight, how to disable it?

This is horrible!

Facts:

• Automatic Maintenance is disabled.
    • "powercfg /lastwake" returns "Wake History Count - 0"

I highly doubt Windows 10 ignores the Automatic Maintenance settings. Even if I disable it, Windows 10 still does Automatic Maintenance every day.

7 Mountains, Feb 8, 2016
  3. How to disable automatic maintenance permanently?

How to disable automatic maintenance permanently? The task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10.

UltimateGTR, Feb 8, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello PCFAN2016, *Smile

I'm glad it could help. Yes, it will stay disabled until you enable it again.

Brink, Feb 8, 2016
  5. Hey, Brink,

Since I'm new to Win10, just a quick question or two:
    1. Will this utility stop the automatic downloading of Windows and other updates?
    2. Can the two downloaded .reg files be left on the Desktop and toggled between as desired?

Many thanks!

Electrojim, Dec 18, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 19, 2016
  7. I have MaintenanceDisabled 1 and it still saying yes in control panel!

ameeralhindi, Dec 21, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 21, 2016
  9. Hey, ameeralhindi, are you referring to all those boxes with checkmarks under Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Change Settings? I still have a bunch of those still checked too, but I used Brink's shortcut to (supposedly) turn the auto maintenance feature off, and I think it is off. At least my computer now sleeps through the night without waking up and shutting down completely before morning. I wonder if Brink can give us a way to check for sure.

Electrojim, Dec 21, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 21, 2016
  11. Hi, Brink,

I gave your suggestion a try, but see no toggling in the window via Control Panel at all. When I run your utility I get the message that the Registry has been changed, but this window doesn't do anything:

I do note, however, that the Last Run date is several days past and wonder if that's an indication that Auto Maintenance is indeed disabled, or if there's just nothing to do.

Electrojim, Dec 21, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You'll need to click on the "Change maintenance settings" link to see.

Brink, Dec 21, 2016
  13. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

Hi, Brink,

From what I gather now, when you do click on:Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Maintenance, you'll either see 'No Action Needed' with a Last Run date, or 'Maintenance in Progress,' if either you luck into opening this panel when the computer is doing its normal thing, OR you have clicked: Start Maintenance and it's working. Your Disable does indeed prevent locally clicking: Start Maintenance (nothing happens), and I am quite sure now that it also prevents the scheduler from starting that operation. After you apply the Enable utility, then when you click: Start Maintenance it does indeed run... you can see lots of activity in Task Manager and the Control Panel window shows 'Maintenance in Progress.' I also went into the Registry and, sure enough, your Enable/Disable utilities for-sure change that value.

Quick question: Should one check to make sure that Auto Maintenance is not running before invoking the Disable command, or will a session in progress finish on its own and then be prevented from a subsequent scheduled start?

Since I installed and enacted both the Disable Automatic Maintenance and Disable Automatic Updates, my computer has been happily sleeping through the night, without waking and working on its own and then shutting down completely. Many thanks for the tip and utility!

Electrojim, Dec 22, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No need to check before disabling. If it's currently running, it'll finish and won't run again.

If you like, you could keep Automatic Maintenance enabled, and uncheck the option to wake up the computer in its settings.

Brink, Dec 22, 2016
  15. Thanks and i'm happy to be member of this big forum it's one of the best forums for me ( my best one )!
    I tried to add registry manually and restarted pc, tried to download your reg and restart didn't work too, I don't have change settings like windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 i don't know why you have it on windows 10! i'm runing on last build, It's not a big deal but it's strange i mean why!? what should i do to make it off, also before it was off i don't know why it's on now even after disabling it from registry here is the screenshot.

ameeralhindi, Dec 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Automatic

2. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. I want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle, disrupting my work...
  3. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. Im sick of it and want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle,...
  4. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. Im sick of it and want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle,...
  5. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using...
  6. How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?: The Windows 8.1 method is not working... I cannot find "Idle Maintenance" under TaskScheduler anymore!!! 63833
  7. how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?

how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?: I'd like to turn of automatic maintenance, just like i did in Windows 8/8.1. It was easy and straight forward, but in Windows 10 it seems they took the options away in task scheduler. Frustrating since i do not want my computer looking for updates or running maintenance every...
  8. Disable automatic maintenance?

Disable automatic maintenance?: Since the task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10, does anyone know how to disable automatic maintenance? 17025
  9. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...
  10. Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows How to Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will automatically run the System Maintenance troubleshooter on a scheduled basis in the background...