Windows 10: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 10, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer in Windows 10

Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer.

This includes tasks such as software updates, Windows Updates, security scanning, and system diagnostics. This maintenance will run daily if you aren't using your computer at the time you've chosen. If your computer is in use at the scheduled time or maintenance is behind schedule, Automatic Maintenance will run the next time the computer is not being used.

The goal of Automatic Maintenance is to combine all background maintenance activity in Windows and help third-party developers add their maintenance activity to Windows without negatively impacting performance and energy efficiency. Additionally, Automatic Maintenance enables users as well as enterprises to be in control of maintenance activity scheduling and configuration.

The Automatic Maintenance wakeup policy specifies if Automatic Maintenance should make a wake request to the OS for the daily scheduled maintenance.
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Automatic Maintenance to be able to wake up the computer for the daily scheduled maintenance in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the Automatic Maintenance wakeup policy.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Automatic Maintenance "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time"

Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Maintenance Scheduler

3. In the right pane of Maintenance Scheduler in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Automatic Maintenance WakeUp Policy policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default Not Configured Automatic Maintenance to WakeUp Policy
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Task Scheduler\Maintenance

WakeUp DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Enable_Automatic_Maintenance_Wakeup_Policy.reg

Download

3. To Disable Automatic Maintenance to Wake Up Computer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Automatic_Maintenance_Wakeup_Policy.reg

Download

4. Default Not Configured Automatic Maintenance to WakeUp Policy

Default_Not_Configured_Automatic_Maintenance_Wakeup_Policy.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 10, 2018
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Automatic Maintenance Disable Bug

I have recently been plagued with my computer waking up in the middle of the night and have gone through every step imaginable to resolve the issue.

• I checked the LAN and WiFi cards for being able to wake the computer, and disabled them.
    • Disabled all my USB devices from being able to wake the computer
    • Checked all scheduled tasks Task Scheduler and found nothing at the time of the event for the last run time. I did this right after turning it on to make sure no other events really had time to run.
    • I checked powercfg /lastwake, which said unknown, and /waketimers, which listed nothing there.
    • Checked UpdateOrchestrator and turned off their abilities to wake the computer.
    • I ran the powershell command, Get-ScheduledTask | where {$_.settings.waketorun} and found nothing enabled
    • I unchecked run Automatic Maintenance at a scheduled time
    • I checked group policy for anything related to waking/rebooting for Windows Updates, and found nothing related.

There were a few other steps I went through that I found online in different articles, but nothing had worked. The most interesting thing about all this was that Automatic Maintenance had run at the exact time that my computer had generated it's Wake Event
    in event viewer, even when being disabled. I have added a registry key to disabled it manually, that I found online, and if it works, I will edit my post to let others know that it worked, and where the key was added and with what name and value.

I made this post more so for visibility and as a bug report t bring the attention of support that may get an engineer to look at the issue.

My build version is: 1709 (16299.192)

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

Randomkid_95, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

Hi, Brink,

I gave your suggestion a try, but see no toggling in the window via Control Panel at all. When I run your utility I get the message that the Registry has been changed, but this window doesn't do anything:

I do note, however, that the Last Run date is several days past and wonder if that's an indication that Auto Maintenance is indeed disabled, or if there's just nothing to do.

Electrojim, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Vertex Win User
    Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10  

I've had some trouble getting Automatic Maintenance to actually wake the computer on a schedule in Windows 10. Changes to the Automatic Maintenance mechanism have made the description in the Control Panel misleading, and most search results about the issue are people trying to prevent Automatic Maintenance from waking the computer. So to that end, here is some information I've put together.

To support Automatic Maintenance, Windows 8 introduced new task settings and a new kind of task: the Automatic Maintenance Task. Unlike other tasks, these tasks do not use triggers. Instead, they define a frequency at which they should run and a frequency at which they must run. When Automatic Maintenance rolls around, the Task Scheduler uses this information to decide which of these tasks get to run during the maintenance period.

Presumably, the new Maintenance Activator task is built into the Task Scheduler and represents the set of all automatic maintenance tasks. It's scheduled to run daily at whatever time you set in the Control Panel (plus a randomized delay, up to four hours by default, and configurable in Group Policy).

In Windows 10, the Maintenance Activator task sets a wake timer only if there are one or more individual maintenance tasks that are set to wake the computer, and you checked the box to allow Automatic Maintenance to wake the computer in the Control Panel. This behavior differs from Windows 8, where the Regular Maintenance task would always wake the computer at the scheduled time if you checked the box in the Control Panel.

For reference, you can use this PowerShell pipeline to list all automatic maintenance tasks:
    Code:
    Code:
    Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.MaintenanceSettings} | Out-GridView
    To list only the automatic maintenance tasks which could wake the computer, use this pipeline:
    Code:
    Code:
    Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.WakeToRun -and $_.Settings.MaintenanceSettings} | Out-GridView
    Very few automatic maintenance tasks are set to wake the computer, and most of them are disabled most of the time. That means that to have Automatic Maintenance wake the computer reliably at the scheduled time, it's necessary to change some other task to wake the computer. The Windows Defender Verification task is a suitable choice, as it's already set to run daily with a tight deadline.

Vertex, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance Wake Up Computer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Automatic

2. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. I want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle, disrupting my work...
  3. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. Im sick of it and want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle,...
  4. How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?: The Windows 8.1 method is not working... I cannot find "Idle Maintenance" under TaskScheduler anymore!!! 63833
  5. how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?

how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?: I'd like to turn of automatic maintenance, just like i did in Windows 8/8.1. It was easy and straight forward, but in Windows 10 it seems they took the options away in task scheduler. Frustrating since i do not want my computer looking for updates or running maintenance every...
  6. Disable automatic maintenance?

Disable automatic maintenance?: Since the task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10, does anyone know how to disable automatic maintenance? 17025
  7. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...
  8. Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows How to Enable or Disable Scheduled System Maintenance in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will automatically run the System Maintenance troubleshooter on a scheduled basis in the background...
  9. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer. This includes...
  10. Enable or Disable Wake Timers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Wake Timers in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Wake Timers in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable to Allow Wake Timers in Windows 10 A wake timer is a timed event that wakes the PC from hibernate states at a specific time. For example, a task in Task Scheduler set with the "Wake the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 automatic maintenance disable policy

2. windows 2016 disable auto maintenance Disable-ScheduledTask