Windows 10: Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows [img] Information AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows

Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows [​IMG]
    Information AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds of content, such as photos, music, and video on different kinds of media, such as drives, CDs, DVDs, cameras, and phones. For example, you can use AutoPlay to select an app that will automatically open photos on a removable drive when you plug it into your PC. With AutoPlay, you don't have to open the same app or reselect preferences every time you plug in a certain device.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable AutoPlay for all drives for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable AutoPlay for all drives.

Note This will not affect AutoPlay for non-volume devices like cameras or phones.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives using a REG file

EXAMPLE: "Ask me every time" AutoPlay notification for USB Flash Drive

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Local Group Policy Editor

Note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\AutoPlay Policies

3. In the right pane of AutoPlay Policies in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off AutoPlay policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable AutoPlay for All Drives
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable AutoPlay for All Drives
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select All drives in the drop menu under Options, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives using a REG file

Note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoDriveTypeAutoRun DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    ff (hex) = Disable

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoDriveTypeAutoRun DWORD

(delete) = default

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable AutoPlay for All Drives
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_AutoPlay_for_all_drives.reg

Download

3. To Disable AutoPlay for All Drives
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_AutoPlay_for_all_drives.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 20, 2017
  2. dalchina Win User

Disabling Autoplay/Autorun

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable...toplay-windows

If as suggested here, the end result is exactly the same registry change, there is no difference.

You can test that for yourself using a free utility called regshot. This takes a snapshot of the registry; you then make the change; take a second snapshot, then compare them.

All changes made between the two are listed.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Disable AutoPlay when audio devices connected

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have a clarity on the issue and guide you accordingly, kindly help us with the following information:

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed on the machine?

(Search winver from the Start menu to know the same)

The issue could be because of the AutoPlay option being enabled on the device. I suggest you to disable
    AutoPlay for all media and devices and see if the issue persists.

• Open Settings and click on Devices.
    • On the left pane, choose AutoPlay.
    • Toggle off Use AutoPlay for all media and devices,
      and exit Settings.
    • Reconnect the speaker to see if the media files continue to play.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows

autoplay doesn't work after loading windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know if you have installed all the pending updates on your device.

Also, check with the sound drivers as well.

I suggest you to check with the setting for AutoPlay and check if it helps.

Even if you have turned on the AutoPlay option, there might be some option chosen Choose AutoPlay defaults. I suggest you to check with those options.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type AutoPlay and click on AutoPlay settings.
    • To enable AutoPlay, move the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices button to On.
    • Next you can choose and set your AutoPlay defaults.
    For Removable drives, the following options are available from the drop-down menu:

• Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time
    • Configure this drive for backup (File History)
    • Configure storage settings (Settings).

For Memory Cards, the options available are:

• Play video files using alternate
      software
    • Play using Windows Media Player
    • Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time.
    Set your options and exit.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Rey Bel1 Win User
    AutoPlay via a Remote Desktop connection not working

Hi Timothy,

It could be that the AutoPlay settings on PC B have not been enabled that's why AutoPlay won't work. You can enable it by following the steps below:

• Click the Ask me anything.
    • Type autoplay, then press Enter.
    • Click AutoPlay settings.
    • Check the settings if it’s on.

Let us know if the steps above have resolved your concern.

Rey Bel1, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How to get an access to contents of CD drive as soon it is detected on Windows 10?

Hi James,

As your concern is to access the CD drive on your laptop, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to set the setting for AutoPlay and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type AutoPlay and click on AutoPlay settings.
    • To enable AutoPlay, move the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices button to On.
    • Next under Choose AutoPlay defaults.
    • For Removable drives: Ask me every time
    • For Memory Cards: Ask me every time.
    Close the window, sign-out from the user account, re-sign-in and check with the status of this issue.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of accessing the CD Drive for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows

1. Enable or Disable AutoPlay for All Drives in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable AutoPlay

2. Disable/Enable flash drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable/Enable flash drive?: So occasionally when I try to correctly remove my USB/flash stick drives from my pc, I get an error message saying "the device is currently in use" though I have no idea how and to "close any programs using it." I try closing my file folders if open and that doesn't help. The...
  3. Disable/Enable flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable/Enable flash drive?: So occasionally when I try to correctly remove my USB/flash stick drives from my pc, I get an error message saying "the device is currently in use" though I have no idea how and to "close any programs using it." I try closing my file folders if open and that doesn't help. The...
  4. Disable/Enable flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive: An autorun.inf file is a text file that can be used by the Autorun and AutoPlay components of Microsoft Windows. When a USB drive is plugged into a USB port, an autorun USB dialog appears that prompts you to do certain operations: print images, run Windows Media Players, or...
  6. Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive: An autorun.inf file is a text file that can be used by the Autorun and AutoPlay components of Microsoft Windows. When a USB drive is plugged into a USB port, an autorun USB dialog appears that prompts you to do certain operations: print images, run Windows Media Players, or...
  7. Autoplay for USB drive

Autoplay for USB drive: Why do I no longer have the option to have external drives and USB sticks automatically opening file explorer since the last update?Instead I now only have the totally unwanted 'Configure storage settings' option which gives the warning 'The following drives might contain...
  8. Disabling Autoplay/Autorun

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disabling Autoplay/Autorun: I am doing myself a system security audit and I would like to clear some confusion on the differences between the Autoplay settings in the Windows 10 Control Panel and the settings that are on the Group Policy Editor. If I Disable Autoplay within the actual Windows 10...
  9. Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to...
  10. Enable or Disable AutoPlay for Non-volume Devices in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable AutoPlay for Non-volume Devices in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable AutoPlay for Non-volume Devices in Windows [img] Information AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds of content, such as photos,...