Windows 10: Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10 [img] Information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10

Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information A blue screen of death error (also called a stop error) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly (aka: crash). When you experience this type of error, you won’t be able to see things like the Start menu or the taskbar on the screen when your PC is turned on. Instead you might see a blue screen with a message that your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to enable or disable automatically restart computer on a BSOD system failure in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable BSOD automatic restart.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Startup and Recovery Settings
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: To Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart using a REG file
    • Option Four: To Temporarily Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Advanced Startup Settings at Boot

EXAMPLE: BSOD

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Startup and Recovery Settings

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe, and click/tap on OK to open advanced System Properties.

2. Click/tap on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. (see screenshot below)

3. Check (enable - default) or uncheck (disable) the Automatically restart box under System failure for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close advanced System Properties if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (To enable BSOD automatic restart - default)
    *Arrow wmic RecoverOS set AutoReboot = True

OR

(To disable BSOD automatic restart)
    *Arrow wmic RecoverOS set AutoReboot = False
    3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

AutoReboot DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable BSOD Automatic Restart
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_BSOD_automatic_restart.reg

Download

3. To Disable BSOD Automatic Restart
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_BSOD_automatic_restart.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Temporarily Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Advanced Startup Settings at Boot

Note This option will only temporarily disable BSOD automatic restart until the next time the computer is restarted. After you restart the computer, BSOD automatic restart will be enabled again unless you used option 1, 2, or 3 above to disable it.

1. Boot to Advanced Startup options.

2. Click/tap on Troubleshoot. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Advanced options. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Startup Settings. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Restart button. (see screenshot below)

6. When the PC has finished restarting to Startup Settings, press either the F9 or 9 key to select Disable automatic restart after failure. (see screenshot below)

7. The PC will now boot to Windows 10 with BSOD automatic restart disabled until the next time the computer is restarted.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 24, 2017
  2. eidairaman1, Oct 26, 2019
  3. System restarts automatically?????HELP!!!!!

Turn off Windows Automatic Restarts so you can see what type of BSOD the system is popping.

eidairaman1, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Binge Win User

Random Restarts, No BSOD

He mentioned that he had done that above. Also I provided a BSOD details app. There were no BSODs to report.

Binge, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Arrakis9 Win User
    Random restarts

when you start the computer up press F8 repeatedly until you get a list of how to start windows, choose do not automatically restart on system failure. if your getting bsod's list what your getting here so we can further help you. IF the system is not getting bsod's and still restarting as you say then i would look into getting a line conditioner for your computer as you might be having power issues.

Arrakis9, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Enabling automatic reboot or automatic restart in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the System Properties.

• On the Advanced tab, under the Startup and Recovery section click on the Settings button.

• Under the System failure section check
      the automatically restart checkbox.

• Click OK to close the startup and system properties windows and save changes.
    Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable BSOD Automatic Restart in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable BSOD

2. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart: Firstly, why Microsoft do you lock threads when they're not addressed/resolved and I have to start another one with the practically the same title and issue?Now to the point. How does one stop a PC from restarting without permission.... permanently. I note that group policy...
  3. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart: Firstly, why Microsoft do you lock threads when they're not addressed/resolved and I have to start another one with the practically the same title and issue?Now to the point. How does one stop a PC from restarting without permission.... permanently. I note that group policy...
  4. Disable Windows 10 automatic update/restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to Enable or Disable Automatic Learning in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Automatic Learning in Windows 10: Microsoft along with many other tech giants is trying to make Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning adjust according to the user. Be its speech recognition, Automatic Learning, etc. Microsoft is trying to embed as many features in their Windows OS as they can....
  6. Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart: How can I disable Windows 10 automatic restart. This question has been asked A LOT on this board. I have done many of the suggestions but I need to know if any of them actually work. This is not a fact of losing simply losing information. The computer is going to be...
  7. Disable Automatic Restart on Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Automatic Restart on Update in Windows 10: Dear Microsoft Community, I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 2004. It has been multiple times since the previous-previous releases that Windows 10 automatically restart my PC for automatic updates. This makes me lost my unsaved work in which I have spent a lot of hours. I...
  8. Enable or Disable Automatically Reopen Firefox after Windows Restart

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatically Reopen Firefox after Windows Restart: How to: Enable or Disable Automatically Reopen Firefox after Windows Restart How to Enable or Disable Automatically Reopen Firefox after Windows Restart or Shutdown If you leave Firefox open when Windows shuts down or restarts, Firefox may automatically re-open with...
  9. Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Repair in Windows 10 If you PC crashes 2 times consecutively or fails to boot, Windows 10 will run Automatic Repair by default during the next startup in an attempt to diagnose...
  10. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer. This includes...