Windows 10: Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V

Discus and support Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V How to Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V Virtual Machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V

How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V

How to Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V Virtual Machine

Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V [​IMG]
    Information A blue screen error (also called a stop error) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly (aka: crash). When you experience this type of error, you won’t be able to see things like the Start menu or the taskbar on the screen when your PC is turned on. Instead you might see a blue screen with a message that your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

Windows has a hidden feature that you can enable to be able to manually force a BSOD by holding down the rightmost Ctrl key, and press the Scroll Lock key twice while in a Hyper-V gen 1 or gen 2 virtual machine (guest OS).

When used, the system calls KeBugCheck and issues crash dumps have been disabled, a crash dump file is written at this point.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable to manually force a BSOD crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in a Hyper-V virtual machine guest in a Windows 8 and Windows 10 host.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable the BSOD crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock feature.

Note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hyperkbd\Parameters

CrashOnCtrlScroll DWORD

(delete) = Disable
    1 = Enable

EXAMPLE: Hyper-V BSOD Stop Code: MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH

Here's How:

1. While in the Hyper-V virtual machine, do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Hyper-V_BSOD_CrashOnCtrlScroll.reg

Download

3. To Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Hyper-V_BSOD_CrashOnCtrlScroll.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer inside the Hyper-V virtual machine to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 18, 2017
  2. AlexOh7 Win User

Enabling Hyper-V after it has been disabled?

Hi, I was doing Android development on my Surface Pro 3. Use of the android emulators required hyper-v being turned off, so I turned it off. Now, I'm working on a UWP app, and use of the emulators requires hyper-v. I have enabled hyper-v in the "Turn Windows
    features on/off" tool, so it's enabled there, but it doesn't seem to be enabled elsewhere, possibly the BIOS. Problem is, there is no option in the SP3 BIOS to enable hyper-v. Windows tells me in two places (task manager, turn Win features on/off) that hyper-v
    is enabled. However, running the following script in powershell:

tells me that it is disabled. Visual Studio also tells me it is disabled.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

AlexOh7, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Hyper-V is "Silently" Enabled after Upgrading to Build 17074.1002, All emulators Crash

after upgrade to windows 10 build 17074.1002 i got all programs that need virtual machine crash on start or can't launch the emulators, some of them makes GSOD (Green Screen of death)

List of program that Crash, can't Launch emulators, GSOD :

• Nox Emulator (GSOD)
    • BlueStack (Crash)
    • Android Studio (Can't Launch the emulators)
    • Virtual Box (Can't Create & Launch the emulators)
    • Eclipse (Can't Launch the emulators)
    then i found the problem of this crash is Hyper-V is enabled in notification Android Studio,

i check the windows optional features, but when i see it, the Hyper-V features is unchecked that mean is Disabled...

i try using command prompt(administrator) type "dism.exe /Online /Enable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V /All" then restart the PC, it doesn't solve that Hyper-V is Disabled fully on my PC

anyone can fix this problem?

Acer Aspire E5-475G

12 GB RAM

Intel Core i5 7200U @2.50Ghz

Intel HD Graphics 620 (Acer Incorporated [ALI])

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce 940MX (Acer Incorporated [ALI])

Fajar Probex, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Can't Enable Hyper-V in Windows 10 Professional

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. As per my research the error code 0x800f0831 is generated when .Net Framework 3.5 is not enabled on the computer. I suggest you to try enabling .Net Framework 3.5 on the computer. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Now, select the check box for .Net Framework 3.5 and click on
      OK.
    5. Restart the computer.

You can also check if Virtualization feature is enabled in BIOS or not, if it is not enabled, I suggest you to enable it.

You may also refer the troubleshooting steps performed by Jins Peter replied on August 13, 2019 in the thread

Hyper-V on Windows Pro wont install
    and see if that helps.

For additional information, you may also refer the article
    Step-By-Step: Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 10

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee
    that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Hyper-V to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 26, 2019
  5. 'Mike P Win User
    How to enable Hyper V windows 10

fwiw;

Operating System Requirements

The Hyper-V
    role can be enabled on these versions of Windows 10:

• Windows 10 Enterprise
    • Windows 10 Professional
    • Windows 10 Education
    The Hyper-V role cannot be installed on:

• Windows 10 Home
    • Windows 10 Mobile
    • Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

'Mike P, Oct 26, 2019
  6. BSOD After enabling Hyper-V

I needed to enable cpu automatization to start Virtual Machine. I didn't had that option in BIOS so I made it manually (in PowerShell)

How to Enable and Disable Hyper-V in Windows 10 & 8 | PowerON - IT Services

So after restarting the PC, I couldn't get to desktop, every time BSOD.

I tried: reseting PC settings, disabling again Hyper-V (while in safe mode) and that didn't work. I also wanted to uninstall windows updates in Settings but It wouldn't get loaded (for more than 8 hours it was loading)

Specs: AMD FX-8300 Socket AM3+ (942) 8 cores

Mother board Gigabyte 970A-DS3P

GPU R9 270x XFX

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

Romano Keser, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V - Similar Threads - Enable Disable BSOD

2. Disabled Hyper-V but Hyper-V is still there

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabled Hyper-V but Hyper-V is still there: I disabled Hyper-V using the optional features and restarted my computer, but when I run msinfo32.exe, it still says there is Hyper-V:How can I disable Hyper-V?...
  3. Disabled Hyper-V but Hyper-V is still there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled Hyper-V but Hyper-V is still there: I disabled Hyper-V using the optional features and restarted my computer, but when I run msinfo32.exe, it still says there is Hyper-V:How can I disable Hyper-V?...
  4. Disabled Hyper-V but Hyper-V is still there

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Enabling Hyper v causes a bsod

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enabling Hyper v causes a bsod: When I enable hyper v I get the bsod of death SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. some other details are that I also have bluestacks and vmware installed. I also have dmp files if you want to see them. Help is very much appreciated submitted by /u/Endlesserrors1 [link]...
  6. enabling hyper-v after disabling it.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    enabling hyper-v after disabling it.: Hi. I play cs:go and wanted to use a third party client (FACEIT) which told me to deactivate hyper-v in order to use their anticheat. I used this command bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off And now I cant get it to work. When I open the command line it tells me to...
  7. Windows 10 Crashes (BSOD) after enabling HYPER V.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Crashes (BSOD) after enabling HYPER V.: Hello Team, I have a valid Windows 10 PRO 64 bit version running on my computer. Current Build Version : 1909 (OS Build 18363.476) Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2400 with Radeon Vega Graphics, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 logical Processor(s) Motherboard: A320M-S2H-CF RAM: 16GB...
  8. disable Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disable Hyper-V: How can I turn off Hyper-v? .... I have already tried Programs and Features and then unchecking the hyper-v there and have checked the services .... I want to use Virtual box but am constantly advised that it is being blocked by Hyper-v. Also is there a way to reset...
  9. Disabling hyper V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Disabling hyper V: I apparently need to disable hyper v in my updated windows 10 home to get my virtual box vms to work. Would disabling hyper v remove any other windows 10 features? In other words, is there a downside to disabling hyper v? 123407
  10. Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows How to Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows A blue screen error (also called a stop error) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly (aka: crash)....