Windows 10: Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows How to Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows A blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by THNU85DC3sd, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows

How to Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows

A blue screen error (also called a stop error) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly (aka: crash). When you experience this type of error, you wont be able to see things like the Start menu or the taskbar on the screen when your PC is turned on. Instead you might see a blue screen with a message that your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

Windows has a hidden feature that you can enable to be able to manually force a BSOD by holding down the rightmost Ctrl key, and press the Scroll Lock key twice.

When used, the system calls KeBugCheck and issues crash dumps have been disabled, a crash dump file is written at this point.

Reference: Forcing a System Crash from the Keyboard - Windows 10 hardware dev

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable to manually force a BSOD crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable the BSOD crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock feature.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters

CrashOnCtrlScroll DWORD

(delete) = Disable
    1 = Enable

EXAMPLE: BSOD Stop Code: MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH

Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows [​IMG]

Here's How:

1 Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_BSOD_CrashOnCtrlScroll.reg

Download

3. To Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_BSOD_CrashOnCtrlScroll.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 Restart the computer to apply.

8 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

THNU85DC3sd, Sep 26, 2017
  2. Chris L-J Win User

etd.sys failed; system thread exception not handled

refresh function failed

in the end I had to enable the legacy f8 safe mode start up using the DOS input, (using start in safe mode in the windows 10 BSOD menu hit the same crash as staring normally)

This then allowed me to disable the ELAN track pad, disabling the track pad has fixed the problem for now

it seems the in the course of the forced update the trackpad was re-enabled (as I'd previously disabled it) and this led to the BSOD loop

Chris L-J, Sep 26, 2017
  3. Ramin MAK Win User
    Disable ctrl + Mouse Scroll Zoom Feature in Windows 10 Pro?

Is there a way to disable ctrl + mouse scroll zoom feature in Windows 10 Pro? It serves me no good but quite annoying when it occurs unwantedly.

Has MS hardcoded this feature into windows in a way that is not possible to turn it off all together for good?

My system is a desktop with Windows 10 Pro 64bit installed. This behaviour happens in some programs but not in all: Windows Explorer, other Internet browsers, some MS application such as Wordpad and Paint 3D. It does not happen in some others application
    such as Weather, Calculator, Adobe Photoshop, etc..

Thanks.

Ramin MAK, Sep 26, 2017
  4. Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows

So I re-read the instructions carefully and I find out my error.

You need to use the index of the table provided as Dump2Key value. Sight!! So now I use 0x64 (100) for Insert.

And check also the type of your keyboard in Device Manager (there is PS/2 keyboard on laptops). Mine was PS/2 and I needed to use i802prt key.

... But, this is still not working for me.

THNU85DC3sd, Sep 26, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello THNU85DC3sd, *Smile

I'm not sure this will work with any other key combination.

Did you restart the computer afterwards to apply?

Brink, Sep 26, 2017
  6. Yes, I rebooted every time.

So I get it working.
    First the index of the table starts at 0, so I must have used 0x63. But 2 shift keys + insert did not work. I don't know why.

So I used ctrl+Alt+U (Dump1Keys=0x60 and Dump2Key=0x17) and it worked that way.

Hint: You have to press twice the key. Like ctrl-alt then u-u rapidly.

THNU85DC3sd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows

1. Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable BSOD

2. Disable ctrl+scroll layout change in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable ctrl+scroll layout change in file explorer: Hey, I want to disable the keyboard+mouse shortcut that changes the folder layout when you accidentally scroll when clicking ctrl at the same time. It's super annoying that the folder layout jumps around and changes when selecting/de-selecting multiple files. Tried...
  3. Enable or Disable Scroll Forward in Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Scroll Forward in Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Scroll Forward in Console Window in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Scroll Forward in Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux...
  4. Enable or Disable Smooth Scrolling in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Smooth Scrolling in Google Chrome: How to: Enable or Disable Smooth Scrolling in Google Chrome How to Enable or Disable Smooth Scrolling in Google Chrome in Windows In Google Chrome, you can enable or disable a flag for an experimental feature to animate smoothly when scrolling page content in Google...
  5. Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...
  6. Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows How to Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows [img] Information Locking your PC protects it from unauthorized use when you need to step away from the PC, and don't want to lock the computer, you will be taken to...
  7. Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana on your Lock Screen in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of...
  8. Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information The lock screen is the screen you see when you lock your PC (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when you are...
  9. Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V: How to: Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V How to Enable or Disable BSOD Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Hyper-V Virtual Machine [img] Information A blue screen error (also called a stop error) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down...
  10. Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10 [img] Information It's important to keep your PC as secure as possible. One way to do this is to enable secure...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable_bsod_automatic_restart.reg 64bit

2. how to enable crash on ctrl scrl

3. crash on ctrl scroll

4. crash on control scroll key dump1keys,
  5. crash on ctrl scroll Dump2Key