Windows 10: Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Sandi1987, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Sandi1987 Win User

Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

By default, Microsoft Edge uses Bing as its default search engine, but you can add a search engine (ex: Google) and change the default search engine you would prefer to search with in Microsoft Edge. Microsoft Edge can use any search engine that supports the OpenSearch standard.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable changing the default search engine in Microsoft Edge for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable changing the default search engine in Microsoft Edge.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow search engine customization policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you want.

5. To Enable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen it to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

Code:
    AllowSearchEngineCustomization DWORD

delete = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you want.

2. To Enable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_change_search_engine_in_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

3. To Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_change_search_engine_in_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen it to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Sandi1987, Nov 21, 2015
  2. vbahl2003 Win User

Cannot Change Default Search Engine tyo Google in Microsoft Edge

Hi,

When I am trying to change my default search engine for my Microsoft edge browser in advanced settings I am neither able to type anything or select anything and add is disabled as well can anybody suggest how to fix this please. as per the notes mentioned
    for changing the default browser engine, the second step mentioned here below I am not able to perform as there is nothing enabled to either select or type the engine's website.

• Select More actions (...) > Settings and then scroll down to select
      View advanced settings. In the list under Search in the address bar with, select
      Change.
    • Select your search engine's website and then select Set as default. If you don't select the search engine, the
      Set as default button will be grayed out.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Vikas Bahl

vbahl2003, Oct 27, 2019
  3. changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Rico Novice, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Cecil_IL Win User

changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Tried this 26 Nov 2015 to make Google.com my search engine and received report "Couldn't add this provider"

Cecil_IL, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Issue with Googlechrome and Edge search engine

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please provide more information to assist you better.

• Which browser are you using to download Google Chrome?

• Did you try with any other Browser? If not, please verify it.

To change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge, I suggest you to follow the article below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/change-the-default-search-engine-in-microsoft-edge

Hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Unable to change search engine

Hi Gavib,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

Please follow these steps and check if that helps.

• Open Internet Explorer.

• Go to internet options.

• Click on Programs which can be found between Connections and Advanced.

• Click on Manage add-ons.

• Select search click on Search providers.

• Click search more provider and follow the instruction.

• Refer the following article for help to set default search engine in Edge.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/change-the-default-search-engine-in-microsoft-edge

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Change Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Change

2. Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.: I've tried changing the default search engine used in the address bar from Bing to Google Microsoft Edge 115.0.1901.203 of an AVD session host. When I sign out and back in, Edge warns me that "Microsoft Edge has detected your default search engine setting was changed by an...
  3. Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.: I've tried changing the default search engine used in the address bar from Bing to Google Microsoft Edge 115.0.1901.203 of an AVD session host. When I sign out and back in, Edge warns me that "Microsoft Edge has detected your default search engine setting was changed by an...
  4. Microsoft Edge - Search Engine is not changing - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge - Search Engine is not changing - Windows 11: Hello,After the latest update of windows 11, it seems that Microsoft Edge changed automatically the search engine in my case from Google to Bing.Additionally , the issue here is that I cannot change the search engine from Bing to Google or yahoo I tried manually to add them...
  5. Microsoft Edge - Search Engine is not changing - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge - Search Engine is not changing - Windows 11: Hello,After the latest update of windows 11, it seems that Microsoft Edge changed automatically the search engine in my case from Google to Bing.Additionally , the issue here is that I cannot change the search engine from Bing to Google or yahoo I tried manually to add them...
  6. How to enable or disable Visual Search in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Visual Search in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]Searching the web using images is a lot easier than typing text. Bing’s Visual Search feature has been designed with this purpose in mind. It lets you find similar images, products, pages that include an image, and even recipes. Now, the same feature has been added to...
  7. Unable to change Edge Search Engine

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to change Edge Search Engine: Settings/View Advanced Settings/Search in the address bar with/Change The only choice is Bing. I am unable to add another engine (Google). [img] I am the ONLY user. I just upgraded from W7. Any ideas? 55190
  8. Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge: How to: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is...
  9. Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Autofill in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...
  10. Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...