Windows 10: Enable or Disable Changing Save Location of Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Changing Save Location of Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Changing Save Location of Apps in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Changing Apps Save Location in Windows 10 In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Changing Save Location of Apps in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Changing Save Location of Apps in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Changing Apps Save Location in Windows 10

In Windows 10, users can select where Windows apps from the Store will install or moved to and save data to by default instead of on the default Windows "This PC (C)" drive location.

You can select to move existing Windows apps to any internal or external drive, including SD cards, USB drives, and USB flash drives. You cannot use mapped network drives, and you can only use one location at a time to save apps to.

What happens when changing new Windows apps save location is enabled:
    • This is the default setting.
    • The default apps save location for new apps of users will automatically be changed back to the previous save location before being disabled.
    • Users will be able to change the new apps save location for their account.
    • Apps installed and saved to any other available locations can now be opened again.
    What happens when changing new Windows apps save location is disabled:
    • Users will no longer be able to change the new apps save location for their account.
    • The default apps save location for new apps will automatically be changed back to the default "This PC (C)" system drive location.
    • Any apps installed and saved to any location other than "This PC (C)" will be offline and cannot be opened.

Enable or Disable Changing Save Location of Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable users from being able to change the storage location where apps from the Store will be installed to and save data to in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable changing apps save location.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Changing Windows Apps Save Location in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Changing Windows Apps Save Location using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Change New Apps Save Location Enabled and Disabled

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Changing Windows Apps Save Location in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App Package Deployment

3. In the right pane of App Package Deployment in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Disable installing Windows apps on non-system volumes policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Changing Windows Apps Save Location
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Changing Windows Apps Save Location
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Changing Windows Apps Save Location using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Appx

RestrictAppToSystemVolume DWORD

0 or delete = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Changing Windows Apps Save Location
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Change_App_Save_Location.reg

Download

3. To Disable Changing Windows Apps Save Location
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Change_App_Save_Location.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 24, 2017

2. my location on maps app is wrong.

Hi Don,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Location privacy settings in search bar
      and click on Location privacy settings.
    • Here you can enable/disable the Location.
    • You may try to Enable/Disable the Maps app to use the

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Location Incorrect

Hi Ian Bowen,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the Start menu, type Location privacy settings in search bar and click on Location privacy settings.

• Here you can enable/disable the Location.

• You may try to Enable/Disable the Maps app to use the location or not from the apps list.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 26, 2019
  4. ehr444 Win User

Can't enable Location in Windows 10

When I go to Settings>Privacy>Location I find the feature disabled. Clicking Change does not pop up the switch box. Instead the busy cursor (blue circle) flashes briefly. Therefore there is no way to enable Location.

Any suggestion on how to enable Location?

Please do not suggest a Reset of Windows 10. I worked with Microsoft for hours yesterday and that was all they had to suggest. There must be a simple way to fix this without undoing my entire configuration.

Thanks.

ehr444, Oct 26, 2019
  5. xkm1948 Win User
    PSA Windows 10 + Adaptive Voltage/Offset voltage and you

I have speed step and all the other power saving option enabled.

So now after setting the system power profile, disable fast boot in uefi, disable hybrid sleep in windows 10 my system has been BSOD free.

xkm1948, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Jerry06 Win User
    Change Storage Save Locations in Windows 10  

I'm sorry That is what I was trying to point out, maybe both should be done in sequence. Thanks for the Quick reply.

I apologize if you misunderstood me. *Wink

Jerry06, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Changing Save Location of Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Changing

2. Changing the location in which new apps are saved to.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the location in which new apps are saved to.: I recently got a new ssd which now has windows 10, i am using the xbox game pass app to try and download games however when i am sent to the windows settings to change where the new apps are saved to, i.e. from my C: ssd to E: hdd it wont allow me to set it as my default save...
  3. Can't change app save location

Can't change app save location: Hello, I recently needed to reinstall my Windows 10. I used to have my applications saved on my D: drive instead of C: Since I have reinstalled Windows I can't change it back to D: [ATTACH][ATTACH] I've heard it doesn't work because I still have my old apps in that,...
  4. Changing Save Location Of Apps

Changing Save Location Of Apps: I tried to change the save location of apps so that I could install fallout 76 through the Xbox app on my computer, however it gave me the error code "0x80070002" and said that the operation could not complete successfully. P.S I do have a steamlibrary folder in the...
  5. Changing default save location for apps

Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...
  6. Windows 10 Changing App default save location ("Change where new contant is saved")

Windows 10 Changing App default save location ("Change where new contant is saved"): Hi all, So aside from Microsoft's support sucking and their support bot being as useless as a calculator for an chinese kid, I got the Xbox (Beta) app for PC for the Game Pass, I want to install games but for some dumb reason, you can't have your own custom...
  7. Windows 10 'Wordpad' app, how to change default save location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 'Wordpad' app, how to change default save location: In Windows 10, how to change 'Wordpad' default save location from 'Documents'? (to Desktop). I have to manually select location each time, if not want saved in default 'Documents' folder. Is the only file type that does this. 'Notepad' app works fine. Thanks...
  8. Enable or Disable Changing Geographic Location in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing Geographic Location in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Changing Geographic Location in Windows How to Enable or Disable Changing Geographic Location in Windows The country or region home location in Windows, referred to as geographic location (GeoID), indicates the country or region that you are...
  9. Enable or Disable Network Location Wizard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Network Location Wizard in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Network Location Wizard in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Network Location Wizard in Windows 10 [img] Information A network location identifies the type of network (ex: private or public) that a PC is connected to with a network adapter....
  10. Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10: How to: Change Save Location for New Apps in Windows 10 How to Change Location where New Apps will Install and Save to in Windows 10 In Windows 10, users can select where new Windows apps from the Store will install and save data to by default instead of on the default...