Windows 10: Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10 The Live Folders.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by CptKyle, Aug 15, 2015.

1. CptKyle Win User

Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10

The Live Folders.

This tutorial will show you how to allow or prevent changing the Start screen layout for specific or all users in Windows 10.

*note This doesn't affect users from being able to resize the Start menu.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to set a default Start layout.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Start layout in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Prevent users from customizing their Start Screen policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Changing Start Layout
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Changing Start Layout
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoChangeStartMenu DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

LockedStartLayout DWORD

(delete) = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Changing Start Layout for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_changing_Start_layout.reg

Download

3. To Disable Changing Start Layout for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_changing_Start_layout.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

*Arrow (Please give a Like in support.)

:)

CptKyle, Aug 15, 2015

2. Keyboard always changes the layout

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the steps from this article and check:

Change the default keyboard layout or input method

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17424/windows-change-keyboard-layout

Note: Applies to windows 10 as well.

Please get back to us with the results of the issue in regards with
    keyboard layout and any other questions you might have regarding Windows operating systems. We are happy to assist.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 "Update" Changed keyboard layout on welcome screen and I can't change it back.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How many keyboard language have you installed?
    If you have installed more than 1 keyboard language in your system, then I suggest you to remove the keyboard language other than default language and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to remove the language.

• Open Control panel.

• Click on language.

• Select the language and click on remove option at the top.

And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17424/windows-change-keyboard-layout

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10

Windows constantly adds keyboard layouts I don't want

Hi,

One of the possible reasons that this issue occurs is due to corrupted system files. To help you resolve this issue, we suggest you to disable automatic keyboard layout change by following these steps:

• Right-click the Start button then select Control Panel.
    • Change the View by option on the top-right to Large icons.
    • Click on Language, and select Advance Settings.
    • Under Switching input methods, uncheck Let me set a different input method for each app window.

If issue persists, you can follow resolution provided by Likhitha V on this
    thread on steps on how to remove keyboard layout. If you still can’t delete
    added keyboard layout, check this article to
    Start your PC in safe mode
    . Once in Safe Mode, try to remove unwanted keyboard layout.

Update us with the outcome.

Efraim Gar, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Changing the keyboard layout

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue changing the keyboard layout in Windows 10 on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Rajesh Govind” replied on October 13, 2014 in the following Microsoft Community link.

How to change the keyboard layout on Windows 10 TP?

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Change your keyboard layout

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-keyboard-layout#1TC=windows-7

Note: The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Jayant Gupta, Oct 27, 2019
  6. xkm1948 Win User
    PSA Windows 10 + Adaptive Voltage/Offset voltage and you

I have speed step and all the other power saving option enabled.

So now after setting the system power profile, disable fast boot in uefi, disable hybrid sleep in windows 10 my system has been BSOD free.

xkm1948, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Changing Start Layout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Changing

2. How to enable or disable Snap Layouts on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Snap Layouts on Windows 11: [IMG]In this article, we will explain how you can enable or disable the Snap Layouts on Windows 11. Microsoft never stays behind the technological need of evolving world. Multitasking and increase work management raised the need of using multiple Windows simultaneously. Snap...
  3. Disabling auto keyboard language/layout change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling auto keyboard language/layout change: Hi there! I need to write in Spanish and English every day. My laptop have the "Latin American" keyboard, I use at home a "US International" mechanical keyboard. I don't find any issue writing in either of the language with either of the keyboards as long as the Windows...
  4. Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 A Tile is an image that represents a pinned app on Start. Live tiles on Start display information that are useful at a glance without opening...
  5. Enable or Disable Shortcut Key to Start Narrator in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Shortcut Key to Start Narrator in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Shortcut Key to Start Narrator in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Win+Ctrl+Enter Shortcut Key to Turn Narrator On or Off in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a...
  6. Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 You can open a context menu in the Start Menu by right clicking or pressing and holding on an app's tile on the Start screen or...
  7. Enable or Disable App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable App Suggestions on Start in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, users will occasionally see app suggestions on Start such as Candy Age of Empires: Castle Siege, Asphalt 8: Airborne, Candy Crush Soda Saga, FarmVille2: Country Escape,...
  8. Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. [img] Information Windows...
  9. Start Menu Layout will not save the changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Layout will not save the changes: I just did a clean installed of Windows 10 (1709) and as I recall, this happened to me a while back as well when the Start Menu Layout will not save the changes. So when I Unpin all the apps from the Start Layout, it will not save the settings even after all the updates and...
  10. Enable or Disable Live Tiles on Start in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Live Tiles on Start in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Live Tiles on Start in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Live Tile Notifications on Start in Windows 10 [img] Information A tile is an app’s representation on the Start menu in Windows 10, and can be either static or live. A static tile...