Windows 10: Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by SmileyPK, Sep 26, 2016.

1. SmileyPK Win User

Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing the latest features and improvements, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft—and with fewer interruptions and restarts when you're using your PC the most. The latest updates will automatically download and install when they’re available. (Unless you’re on a metered connection, then updates won’t download until you manually check for updates.)

Microsoft releases important updates every second Tuesday once a month, known as Patch Tuesday. However, updates could be released at any time.

Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance.

You can select to also receive updates for other Microsoft products like Office in Windows Update.

Occasionally, your PC may need to restart to finish installing the updates. You can set custom restart time to temporarily override active hours and schedule a custom time to finish installing the current update(s).

See also: Update Windows 10 in the enterprise (Windows 10)

Starting in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14931, a new policy is available that allows you to remove access to scan Windows Update.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable to manually check for updates in Windows Update for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable check for updates.

Note Disabling "Check for updates" will not affect Windows 10 from automatically downloading and installing updates.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable "Check for updates" in Windows Update using Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable "Check for updates" in Windows Update using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Enabled and Disabled "Check for updates" in Windows Update

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable "Check for updates" in Windows Update using Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Remove access to use all Windows Update features policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable "Check for updates" in Windows Update
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

B) When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

C) Restart the computer.

D) The next time Windows automatically checks for updates, "Check for updates" will be enabled again. This usually happens within 24 hours.

6. To Disable "Check for updates" in Windows Update
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

B) When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

C) Restart the computer.

D) Manually check for updates to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable "Check for updates" in Windows Update using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

SetDisableUXWUAccess DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable "Check for updates" in Windows Update
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Check_for_updates_in_Windows_Update.reg

Download

3. To Disable "Check for updates" in Windows Update
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Check_for_updates_in_Windows_Update.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer.

8. If you disabled "Check for updates", then manually check for updates to apply.

9. If you enabled "Check for updates", then it will be enabled the next time Windows automatically checks for updates. This usually happens within 24 hours.

10. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

SmileyPK, Sep 26, 2016

2. how to disable "check for updates" in windows 10

Why does Windows 10 automatically download updates and then waits for me to "restart"?????

This is costing me money!!!! I have gone over my data plan this month and it is going to cost me big bucks!!!

I want to be able to decide when to download so I can control my data usage. If I can't control my data because of these automatic downloads, I am going to go back to Windows 8!!!

AndresSainz, Sep 26, 2016
  3. TimPrince Win User
    how to disable "check for updates" in windows 10

I've switched the update option to "notify.." but the updates still perform forced attempts to reboot on the Ultrabook, freezing it and losing work in progress. This would be the only reason I would attempt to revert to 8.1.

TimPrince, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

That's correct, but this policy had been removed in previous builds of Windows 10 and just added back in build 14931.

Brink, Sep 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Check

2. Enable / Disable Windows Auto Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Enable / Disable Windows Auto Updates: Hello,Reading the tutorial on you site "Enable / Disable Auto Updates for Windows....", I decided to use (as on option 7), the "WAU Manager".Till now I disabled the updates in the "Task Manager" by disabling the win update service. (But cannot postpone the updates any...
  3. Enable / Disable windows updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Enable / Disable windows updates: Hello,Referring to tutorial 8013- enable-disable-windows-update.....Using "Wu10Man", you say that after setting it, it can be closed.Using "WAU Manager", this has to run all the time in the background or just when needed ?Answers will be appreciated.Thankswindows 10 pro x64,...
  4. Enable / Disable windows updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable / Disable windows updates: Hello,Referring to tutorial 8013- enable-disable-windows-update.....Using "Wu10Man", you say that after setting it, it can be closed.Using "WAU Manager", this has to run all the time in the background or just when needed ?Answers will be appreciated.Thankswindows 10 pro x64,...
  5. Disable or Enable Update Compliance Processing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disable or Enable Update Compliance Processing in Windows 10: [ATTACH]This post will show you how to disable or enable Update Compliance Processing in […] This article Disable or Enable Update Compliance Processing in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10: Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance. Windows 10 will automatically download and install important and critical updates by default Some updates are not installed automatically. This includes optional...
  7. Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature of Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by...
  8. Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Including Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically download and install drivers in Windows Update when they are available....
  9. Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 will automatically check for new Windows Updates at the time you have set in automatic maintenance. Windows...
  10. Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10: How to: Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 How to Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 Secure Boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is...