Windows 10: Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10 Starting with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10

Starting with let you pick up where you left off.

Your collected activity history allows you to jump back into what you were doing with apps, docs, or other activities, either on your PC or your phone. To resume your activities, Windows needs to collect your PC activity.

If you like, you can enable or disable letting Windows collect User Activities.

If enabled, Store my activity history on this device will be turned on for all users, but users will still be able to turn this setting on or off for their account.

If disabled, Store my activity history on this device will be turned off for all users, and users will not be able to turn this setting on or off for their account.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Activity history settings to let Windows collect User Activities for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable online tips and help for the Settings app

*note enabled, running, and set to Automatic (Delayed Start).

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Collect Activity History using a REG file

EXAMPLE: "Store my activity history on this device" disabled in Settings

Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\OS Policies

3. In the right pane of OS Policies in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow publishing of User Activities policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Collect Activity History
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled​ (recommended), click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured[/B] is the default setting.

6. To Disable Collect Activity History
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Collect Activity History using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

PublishUserActivities DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Collect Activity History
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Activity_history.reg

Download

3. To Disable Collect Activity History
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Activity_history.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 22, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft Privacy logging activity history despite the setting disable

You have activity history disabled in Windows 10, so it appears those other apps using your Microsoft account is still keeping track of your activity history somehow.

You can also disable Timeline if not already to no longer see it on this computer. It won't stop anything still collecting your activity history, and being able to see it online in the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard.

*Arrow Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Microsoft Privacy logging activity history despite the setting disable

My Ubisoft and Origin accounts aren't linked to my Microsoft account though (and other Ubisoft games didn't get logged, just AC Odyssey). This is really weird...

leftisthominid, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10

Activity history keeps posting to Microsoft account...

Nope. My other computers have been off all week, and the activity logs correspond to the laptop. I disabled full diagnostic data. I also followed a couple of your guides to change my group policy (Enable or Disable Sync Activities from PC to Cloud in Windows 10 | Tutorials). There seems to be some delay between the activity and when it goes up. Thursday, the logs went through Tuesday. This afternoon (Saturday) the logs went up through Thursday. I am betting tomorrow morning (if my changes don't make a difference), there will be logs from Friday (I actually don't remember if I did anything with my laptop Friday).

leftisthominid, Oct 26, 2019
  5. windows8thumba, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 File History Not Working

This issue can also happen if Indexing service (Windows Search service) is disabled. To check this setting, kindly follow these steps:

• Open Run and type Service.msc.
    • Double-click on Windows Search and check if it's disabled. Set it to
      Automatic.
    • Click on Apply, then choose OK.

This setting scans and inspects the file system from time to time. It looks for changes to backup your files when you start using the File History.

Additionally, we suggest checking 'Mike P's reply to a similar concern found on this thread posted last October 4, 2015:

File History - Could not enable File History
    . Renaming the folder did the trick relating the same issue.

Let us know of the status or progress regarding your query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Collect Activity History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Collect

2. What exactly does Activity History collect?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What exactly does Activity History collect?: I'm sure everyone here already know that Windows 10 logs the things we do in Activity History for the Timeline. I've read on this thread that it will continue to do so even if you choose to disable this feature. That reddit thread by u/a_potato_is_missing, ended up getting...
  3. How to enable or disable PIN History on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable PIN History on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The PIN is a very powerful authentication medium on Windows 10. It helps in faster log in into a Windows 10 computer. Windows 10 can store from a minimum of 0 to a maximum of 50 PINs. This can lead [...] This post How to enable or disable PIN History on...
  4. How to disable Windows 10 Active History permanently

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Windows 10 Active History permanently: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 introduced a new feature that helps a user to stay connected to their task across their devices. This feature was marketed as Windows Timeline. With this, the user could continue their task across Windows 10 computers as well [...] This post How...
  5. Enable or Disable Saving History in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Saving History in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Saving History in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Saving History in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to...
  6. Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10 Copy paste its something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How do you...
  7. Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer: How to: Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer [img] Information By default, the search box in File Explorer will show a list of suggestions as you type in the search box. These...
  8. Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Collect Activity History in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Collect Activity History for Timeline in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Collect Activity History for Timeline in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17040, Microsoft added settings that let you to view and manage your activity history....
  9. Enable or Disable PIN History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable PIN History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable PIN History in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the...
  10. Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable_activity_history.reg

2. Disable Privacy Option and Activity History