Windows 10: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana on your Lock Screen in Windows 10 Cortana is your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Cortana on your Lock Screen in Windows 10

Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of Cortana youre using, Cortana can provide a range of features, some of which are personalized. Cortana on Windows is available in certain regions and languages. If Cortana isnt available for your Windows device, you can still search for files on your device in the search box on the taskbar. Cortana is also available on other platforms, such as Android and iOS, in select markets.

Cortana works best when you sign in and let her use data from your device, other Microsoft services, and third-party services you choose to connect. To provide you with personalized experiences, Cortana learns from certain data about you, such as your searches, calendar, contacts, and location. Youre in control of how much data you share. If you choose not to sign into Cortana on Windows, you can still chat with Cortana and use her to help you search the web, documents stored in Microsoft services like OneDrive, and your Windows device. See the section about Windows Search in the Privacy Statement for more information. If you dont sign in, or you choose to sign out, your experiences will be more limited and they wont be personalized with your Cortana data. On iOS and Android devices, Cortana only works when you sign in.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14328, you can now have Cortana on your (Win+L) lock screen where you can ask her questions like Remind me to take out the trash when I get home or When is the next Mariners game? and get an immersive Cortana experience without having to unlock your device. You can also try asking Cortana How is the traffic on my way home? or What is my schedule for tomorrow like? For sensitive tasks or those that launch applications, Cortana will prompt you to unlock your device.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Cortana on the (Win+L) lock screen for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Cortana on Lock Screen for Current User in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Cortana on Lock Screen for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Cortana on Lock screen

Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Cortana on Lock Screen for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Cortana or Cortana & Search (build 17623) icon.

2. Do step 3 (enable) or step 4 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Cortana on your Lock Screen
    A) Click/tap on Talk to Cortana on the left side, and turn on Use Cortana even when my device is locked under Lock screen on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Check or uncheck Let Cortana access my calendar, email, messages, and Power Bi data when my device is locked for what you want.

4. To Turn Off Cortana on your Lock Screen
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Talk to Cortana on the left side, and turn off Use Cortana even when my device is locked under Lock screen on the right side. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Cortana on Lock Screen for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Preferences

VoiceActivationEnableAboveLockscreen DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Cortana on your Lock Screen
    A) If you haven't already, you will need to first turn on Hey Cortana for your account.

B) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Hey_Cortana_on_Lock_screen_current_user.reg

Download

3. To Disable Cortana on your Lock Screen
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Hey_Cortana_on_Lock_screen_for_current_user.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

If disabled, this option will override and remove Option One, and override Option Two.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Search

3. In the right pane of Search, double click/tap on the Allow Cortana above the lock screen policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Cortana on Lock Screen
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Cortana on Lock Screen
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Close Local Group Policy Editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

If disabled, this option will override and remove Option One, and override Option Two.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

AllowCortanaAboveLock DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Cortana on Lock Screen
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Hey_Cortana_on_lock_screen_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Cortana on Lock Screen

Disable_Hey_Cortana_on_lock_screen_for_all_users.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 22, 2016

2. My lock screen is black!

I am using the anniversary update of windows 10, therefore the sign in screen is also having the lock screen wallpaper. whenever I turn off my laptop or resume my PC from sleep, the lock screen appears black but the sign in screen(screen in which we type
    our pin or password to unlock PC ) has the wallpaper.

I think this is due to enabling Cortana on lock screen, as this started happening after I enabled it(Cortana on lock screen). After this problem I even disabled Cortana on locks creen, but nothing happened.

Please Help!

Utkarsh Kishore Ranjan, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 22, 2016
Thema:

Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Cortana

2. Cortana an Lock Screen...

in Cortana
    Cortana an Lock Screen...: Hi There, Cortana an Lock Screen is not working on Lock screen I enabled all setting. Fix me Out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-an-lock-screen/35e5da46-6dd2-4deb-b5a8-6c9bc5e3d826
  3. How to enable Cortana in my lock screen

in Cortana
    How to enable Cortana in my lock screen: I've been search in internet on how to enable Cortana in my lock screen but my Cortana settings look different so I can't enable it on my lock screen. My Cortana settings look like this: [ATTACH] can anyone help me with this?...
  4. Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...
  5. Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 [img] Information By default in Windows 10, users are able to change their lock screen background image to Windows Spotlight,...
  6. Enable or Disable Lock Screen Slide Show in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen Slide Show in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen Slide Show in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Lock Screen Slide Show in Windows 10 [img] Information If users set their lock screen will play a slide show of pictures from chosen albums within added folders. This tutorial...
  7. Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows How to Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows [img] Information Locking your PC protects it from unauthorized use when you need to step away from the PC, and don't want to lock the computer, you will be taken to...
  8. Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the sign...
  9. Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of...
  10. Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information The lock screen is the screen you see when you lock your PC (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when you are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to turn pff disable lock on iphone7