Windows 10: Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox

Discus and support Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox How to Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by alphanumeric, May 6, 2016.

1. Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox

How to: Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox

How to Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox

Starting with Firefox 63.0, the Ctrl+Tab shortcut now displays thumbnail previews of your tabs and cycles through tabs in recently used order. This new default behavior is activated only in new profiles and can be changed in preferences.

If you enable Ctrl+Tab thumbnail previews, pressing the Ctlt+Tab keys in Firefox displays thumbnail previews of all open tabs. This is like the Alt+Tab feature in Windows. You would press and hold the Ctrl key, tap the Tab key until you select the tab you want to switch to, and release the Ctrl key.

If you disable Ctrl+Tab thumbnail previews, pressing the Ctlt+Tab keys in Firefox only cycles through tabs in recently used order in Firefox without thumbnail previews. This was the default way before Firefox 3.0.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable pressing Ctrl+Tab keys displaying thumbnail previews of tabs in Firefox for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox Options
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox about:config

EXAMPLE: Ctrl+Tab thumbnail previews of open tabs in Firefox

Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox Options
    1. Open Firefox.
    2. Click/tap on the Menu button
    , and click/tap on Options. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on General on the left side, and check (enable - default) or uncheck (disable) Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order for what you want under Tabs. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close this Options tab if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox about:config
    1. Open Firefox.

2. Type about:config into the address bar, press Enter, and click/tap on the I accept the risk button. (see screenshot below)

3. Copy and paste browser.ctrlTab.recentlyUsedOrder into the search box, and press Enter. (see screenshots below step 4)

4. Double click/tap on the browser.ctrlTab.recentlyUsedOrder setting to change its value to true (enable - default) or false (disable) for what you want. (see screenshots below)

5. You can now close this about:config tab if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

alphanumeric, May 6, 2016
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox Options

Very minor little quirk with this. If you enable the option for an existing profile (most likely), the first time you do a Ctrl+TAB, the thumbnails are blank. Second time and ongoing, they are filled in with the last page you were viewing. Just minor. May just be mine, too.

f14tomcat, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Laurijan Win User
    Firefox tabs stackable?

Hi!

I have this problem little "problem" with Firefox:

I have 9 tabs opened ready every time I start Firefox and it looks like this:

Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox nimetön.jpg

Once I start surfing reading emails and opening links the number of tabs increases fast so that in no time the tabs that doesnt fit my screen are hidden.

I would love to have an Firefox extension that enables me to stack the tab in several rows so that all tabs can be displayed but could not find one that works this way.

Laurijan, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox

desktop is not listed in Ctrl+Tab toggle

Thanks for the suggestions, DaveM121 and NikhilPosting.

@DaveM121 - I have GForce Experience 3.7.0.81, and I can't see a ShadowPlay feature.

@NikhilPosting - I know Alt-Tab very well: this is precisely where I have an issue! the actual desktop is not listed among the thumbnails!

Window + Tab seems to be merely a variant of Alt-Tab - and it returns the same result: desktop is not listed among the thumbnails.

Thus, the issue endures...

GuyCruls_851, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Laurijan Win User
    Firefox tabs stackable?

Ok worked, made 5 rows but had to increase the tab width to 200 to prevent Firefox to still hide some tabs before putting them in a new row.

Thx Kreij!

Laurijan, Oct 27, 2019
  6. EdKiefer Win User
    EdKiefer, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox

1. Enable or Disable Ctrl+Tab Thumbnail Previews of Tabs in Firefox - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Ctrl+Tab

2. Remove taskbar thumbnail previews for browsers with multiple tabs open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove taskbar thumbnail previews for browsers with multiple tabs open.: If you click on any app on your taskbar besides browsers it just opens that app. That's great. Thumbs up emoji.Win10 and Win11 if you click on a browser with multiple tabs open it opens a THUMBNAIL PREVIEW.If you DOUBLE CLICK on a browser with multiple tabs open it still...
  3. How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview ?: Neither of these settings disabled the Taskbar Thumbnails.Disable Taskbar Thumbnails via Group Policy Editor Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails using System Advanced settingsI have yet to edit to registry.Any other ideas?...
  4. How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview ?: Neither of these settings disabled the Taskbar Thumbnails.Disable Taskbar Thumbnails via Group Policy Editor Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails using System Advanced settingsI have yet to edit to registry.Any other ideas?...
  5. Enable or Disable Ad Snippets on New Tab Page in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Ad Snippets on New Tab Page in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Ad Snippets on New Tab Page in Firefox How to Disable Ad Snippets on New Tab Page in Firefox Mozilla uses Snippets to display tips, suggestions, updates, and messages about Firefox. Some people have reported advertising displaying at the...
  6. Switch tab order (Ctrl + Tab) in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Switch tab order (Ctrl + Tab) in Edge: In previous versions of Windows and IE, you could change the order of tabs you switch to when using Ctrl + Tab. The 2 choices were to just cycle through each tab or use the most recent order. The latter is the one I have always used as it fits my purposes best. The default...
  7. Switch tab order (Ctrl + Tab) in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Switch tab order (Ctrl + Tab) in Edge: In previous versions of Windows and IE, you could change the order of tabs you switch to when using Ctrl + Tab. The 2 choices were to just cycle through each tab or use the most recent order. The latter is the one I have always used as it fits my purposes best. The default...
  8. Enable or Disable Close Tab by Double Click in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Close Tab by Double Click in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Close Tab by Double Click in Firefox How to Enable or Disable Close Tab by Double Click in Firefox in Windows By default in Firefox, you can close a tab by clicking on the X button on the tab, pressing the Ctrl+F4 keys, or pressing the Ctrl+W...
  9. Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox How to Enable or Disable Tab Warming in Firefox in Windows Firefox usually does a good job most of the time when it comes to tab switching performance, some sites have noticeable delays between activing the tab and...
  10. Enable or Disable Always Open Bookmarks in New Tab in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Always Open Bookmarks in New Tab in Firefox: How to: Enable or Disable Always Open Bookmarks in New Tab in Firefox How to Enable or Disable Always Open Bookmarks in New Tab in Firefox Quantum [img] Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), there is a new user interface (UI) called Photon. One of...