Windows 10: Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10 Microsoft uses... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10

Microsoft uses Windows diagnostic data to focus their decisions and efforts to provide you with the most robust and valuable platform possible. By participating in the diagnostic data programs, you have a voice in the operating systems development, improving the overall product experience and quality through your insights.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17083, Microsoft has added the Diagnostic Data Viewer feature to provide you with increased control over that data. The Diagnostic Data Viewer is a Windows app that lets you review the diagnostic data your device is sending to Microsoft, grouping the info into simple categories based on how its used by Microsoft.

Through the viewer, you can see the different categories of diagnostic data which includes:
    • Common Data like the OS name, version, device ID, Device Class, and diagnostic level selection
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties, preferences, settings, and network information
    • Product and Service Performance such as device health, performance and reliability, and device file queries (this is not meant to capture user patterns or habits)
    • Browsing History such as frequently visited sites
    • Product and Service Usage data like applications and services used
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed apps and device update information.
    Starting with Windows 10 build 17704, users can now directly view Problem Reports that have or will be sent to Microsoft. Problem Reports help Microsoft identify crashes and other disruptions on your device so they can improve your Windows experience. On the Diagnostic Data Viewer, users can view specific details about each report collected such as when it was sent and what application or component caused the report to be created. The Diagnostic Data Viewer comes with new changes to the UI as well. For example, the filter feature to view data points by category is now directly to the right of the search bar, and the export data feature now exists at the top right of the tool.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Diagnostic Data Viewer for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as and administrator to turn on or off Diagnostic Data Viewer.

When Diagnostic Data Viewer is enabled, users will be able to click/tap on the Diagnostic Data Viewer button to launch the app.

View your diagnostics events: In the left column, you can review your diagnostic events. Selecting an event opens the detailed event view, which shows the exact data uploaded to Microsoft. Microsoft uses this info to continually improve the Windows operating system.
    Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Search your diagnostic events: The search box at the top of the screen lets you search all of the diagnostic event data. The returned search results include any diagnostic event that contains the matching text. Selecting an event opens the detailed event view, with the matching text highlighted.

Filter your diagnostic event categories: The apps Menu button opens the detailed menu. In here, youll find a list of diagnostic event categories, which define how the events are used by Microsoft. Selecting a category lets you filter between the diagnostic events. More details about these categories can be found here.

Provide diagnostic event feedback: The Feedback icon opens the Feedback Hub app, letting you provide feedback about the Diagnostic Data Viewer and the diagnostic events.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Diagnostic Data Viewer in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Diagnostic Data Viewer using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Diagnostic Data Viewer in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2. Do step 3 (off) or step 4 (on) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn Off Diagnostic Data Viewer
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Diagnostics & feedback on the left side, turn off View diagnostic data on the right side, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

4. To Turn On Diagnostic Data Viewer
    A) Click/tap on Diagnostics & feedback on the left side, turn on Diagnostic Data Viewer on the right side, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

*note The first time users click/tap on the Diagnostic Data Viewer button to open the app, the Microsoft Store app will open for them to click/tap on Get to download and install the app for their account.

5. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Diagnostic Data Viewer using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\DiagTrack\EventTranscriptKe y

EnableEventTranscript DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (off) or step 3 (on) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn Off Diagnostic Data Viewer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_off_Diagnostic_data_viewer.reg

Download

3. To Turn On Diagnostic Data Viewer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_on_Diagnostic_data_viewer.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Local Group Policy Editor

*note If disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One and override Option Two.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Data Collection and Preview Builds

3. In the right pane of Data Collection and Preview Builds in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Disable diagnostic data viewer policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Diagnostic Data Viewer
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer using a REG file

*note If disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One and override Option Two.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection

DisableDiagnosticDataViewer DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Diagnostic Data Viewer

Enable_Diagnostic_Data_Viewer.reg

Download

3. To Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer

Disable_Diagnostic_Data_Viewer.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 26, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

Tutorial updated to add Option 3 and 4 to enable/disable Diagnostic Data Viewer using group policy. *Smile

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Diagnostic Data Viewer needs...

Hi, did you install it thus?

- and if not, now did you do that?

Have you ever run it successfully? Or have you only just installed it?

Noted you have Home. Some Home users attempt to add Group Policy - if you did and tried to use that, the outcome is uncertain.

That service is regarded by some as so-called 'spying' by MS.
    Have you run some utility to disable telemetry?

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  4. FrankS Win User

Diagnostic Data Viewer needs...

Yes I ran it thus: Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10
    But since I posted I've realised that it wouldn't be of help anyway.
    My problem, which I've been attempting to resolve, is that my PC will not update from version 1809 to version 1903.
    The last attempt using Windows 10 update Assistant fails with the error: 0xc1420121
    Having tried various methods to fix it I finally discovered that my PC is 'to old'. There's a Microsoft list somewhere that lists PCs that have been successfully tested & my model is not among them.
    I guess I'm not surprised since it is rather long in the tooth but what's irritating is that it runs extremely well. I spent the last couple of weeks editing videos & creating soundtracks. OK, it's a little slow but it works fine & I'm not in a great hurry.
    So, eventually I'll need a new PC since MS will stop supporting version 1809 shortly.
    From what I've read, version 1903 is no great shakes anyway, I guess it's mainly security issues that are of concern but Hey Ho, I can't afford to buy a new PC so I'll just stick with what I've got.
    Thanks for replying.

FrankS, Oct 27, 2019
  5. abredt Win User
    Diagnostic Data Viewer - Yes or No

Any reasons to Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer?

Thanks, cb

abredt, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Microsoft to Introduce Telemetry Data Viewer for Windows

Remember all that talk and noise regarding Microsoft's "automagical" telemetry data collection, and how that spurred the company to create a "telemetry-less" version of its Windows 10 operating system for the Chinese market? It seems Microsoft is keen to keep giving users more information on exactly what information is gathered and when - slowly but assuredly striving for greater transparency, and looking to garner increased trust from consumers and enterprises alike.

The much awaited capability is being baked in to the next major Windows 10 release, and Microsoft is giving Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer utility. Adding to this new utility are some changes to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard that will enable users to see and manage more data associated with their Microsoft accounts. Available to everyone in the Microsoft Store, the Diagnostic Data Viewer is separate from the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, and "allows you to see, search, and take action with your diagnostic data." It's not clear yet what sort of telemetry features users will be able to stop Microsoft from collecting, if any. However, at least now you'll be able to look at exactly which processes and services are collecting data form your system. The diagnostic data that will be viewable in the new utility follows.

Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10 yDvisPRlBWJ8AKA6_thm.jpg

• Common Data, like the Operating System's name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
    • Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It's important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
    • Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
    Microsoft Privacy Dashboard
    Updates to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard include a new Activity History page, which aims to provide a clear and easy to navigate way to see the data that is saved with users' Microsoft accounts. The Microsoft Privacy Dashboard further allows users to manage their data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on their devices or browser at any time.

In the coming months, Microsoft will keep the slow roll-out of additional features that will allow users to:
    • View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
    • Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
    • Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control

Raevenlord, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Diagnostic

2. About a Diagnostic Data Viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About a Diagnostic Data Viewer: Does Diagnostic Data Viewer will send problem reports, including driver error, app crashes, program stop working, BSOD?Diagnostic Data Viewer need internet connection to send to Microsoft to fix problems, true or false?...
  3. About a Diagnostic Data Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About a Diagnostic Data Viewer: Does Diagnostic Data Viewer will send problem reports, including driver error, app crashes, program stop working, BSOD?Diagnostic Data Viewer need internet connection to send to Microsoft to fix problems, true or false?...
  4. How to disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 11: [ATTACH]In this post, we will help you disable Diagnostic Data Viewer in Windows 11. Users of the Windows 11/10 operating system can easily enable and use Diagnostic Data Viewer that helps to view the information (or diagnostic data) sent to Microsoft from the user system. If...
  5. Diagnostic Data viewer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Diagnostic Data viewer: Says: The current user has no access to local diagnostic data. How would I know that any diagnostic data is created at all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostic-data-viewer/fee60f6e-c1f4-4974-9505-3a561f38ae24
  6. diagnostic data viewer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    diagnostic data viewer: hi I can get access to the diagnostic data viewer when I open the app a message pops up saying The current user has no access to local diagnostic data. I'm running Win 10 pro version 2004 insiders preview...
  7. Diagnostic Data Viewer Database Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Diagnostic Data Viewer Database Files: I recently investigated using the Diagnostic Data Viewer on my Dell Inspiron 3670. I decided not to use it and deleted the downloaded app from my Windows 10 v1909 Build 18363.752 x64 system. However, I'm still generating it's database files - [ATTACH] and would like to...
  8. Diagnostic Data Viewer needs...

in Windows 10 Support
    Diagnostic Data Viewer needs...: Hi I'm attempting to run the Diagnostic Data viewer but when I do I get the message: 'The Connected User Experiences & Telemetry service must be enabled...' How do I enable that please? I have gone to services but starting the service is grayed out. 140149
  9. Diagnostic Data Viewer - Yes or No

in Windows 10 Support
    Diagnostic Data Viewer - Yes or No: Any reasons to Enable or Disable Diagnostic Data Viewer? Thanks, cb 110695
  10. Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Delete Diagnostic Data in Windows 10 Microsoft uses Windows diagnostic data to focus their decisions and efforts to provide you with the most robust and valuable platform possible....