Windows 10: Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10 Disk write caching is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by captain997, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10

Disk write caching is a feature that improves system performance by using fast volatile memory (RAM) to collect write commands sent to data storage devices and cache them until the slower storage device (ex: hard disk) can be written to later. This allows applications to run faster by allowing them to proceed without waiting for data write-requests to be written to the disk.

While disk write caching may increase system performance, it can also increase the chances of data loss in case of power or system failures before the data from the write-cache buffer is flushed by writing the data to the disk.

Windows defines two main policies, Quick removal and Better performance, that control how the system interacts with external storage devices such as USB thumb drives or Thunderbolt-enabled external drives. Beginning in Windows 10 version 1809, the default policy is Quick removal.

In earlier versions of Windows the default policy was Better performance.

You can change the policy setting for each external device, and the policy that you set remains in effect if you disconnect the device and then connect it again to the same computer port.

You can use the storage device policy setting to change the manner in which Windows manages storage devices to better meet your needs. The policy settings have the following effects:
    • Quick removal - This policy manages storage operations in a manner that keeps the device ready to remove at any time. You can remove the device without using the Safely Remove Hardware process. However, to do this, Windows cannot cache disk write operations. This may degrade system performance.
    • Better performance - This policy manages storage operations in a manner that improves system performance. When this policy is in effect, Windows can cache write operations to the external device. However, you must use the Safely Remove Hardware process to remove the external drive. The Safely Remove Hardware process protects the integrity of data on the device by making sure that all cached operations finish.
    Removable disks have disk write caching disabled by default for quick removal without having to use Safely Remove Hardware.

Internal disks have disk write caching enabled by default for better performance, but you must use Safely Remove Hardware before disconnecting the disk to prevent data loss.

Update: Windows 10, version 1809 and later: Change in default removal policy for external storage media | Windows Support

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable disk write caching on storage devices for better performance or quick removal in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable disk write caching.

Here's How:

1 Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).

2 Expand open Disk drives, and double click/tap on the disk that you want to enable or disable write caching. (see screenshot below)

Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3 Do step 4 (enable) or step 5 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

4 To Enable Disk Write Caching on the Device
    A) Click/tap on the Policies tab, and select (dot) Better performance. (see screenshots below)

B) Check the Enable write caching on the device box under Write-caching policy.

C) Check or uncheck the Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device under Write-caching policy.

To prevent data loss, do not check Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device unless the device (disk) has a separate power supply (ex: UPS) that allows the device to flush its buffer in case of power failure.

D) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

5 To Disable Disk Write Caching on the Device
    A) Click/tap on the Policies tab, select (dot) Quick removal, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshots below)

6 If prompted to restart the computer to apply, click/tap on Yes or No for what you want to do. (see screenshot below)

Yes = Restarts the computer immediately. Be sure to save and close everything first.

No = Allows you to manually restart the computer later when you're ready. Your changes will not be applied until you restart the computer.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

captain997, Sep 20, 2015

2. Windows 10 USB storage Write Cache Disable command

When I connect USB storage at Windows 10 , Sometimes USB command (SCSI command - Mode selection - Write cache disable)

is issue to storage . I found that USB analyzer.

But windows 7, there's no command like that.

Why windows usb driver for windows10 is sending write cache disable command to storage?

(I've checked already option for write cache disable/enable. The status is enabled.)

DaejinKim977, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Auto re-enable of write-caching in Windows 10

Hello Matthew,

If you have any suggestions about Windows 10, I suggest you to post your valuable feedback about Windows 10. So, that it will be helpful for the developers to integrate the changes suggested by you.

• Go to Start , enter the phrase Windows Feedback and then select
      Windows Feedback.

• See if someone else has provided similar feedback by entering the topic. If you find similar feedback, select it, add any details, then select
      Upvote.

• If you don’t find any similar feedback, select Add new feedback, and choose a topic from
      Select a category and then Select a subcategory. Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and you're done.
    Updates and feedback

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10

Brink, Sep 20, 2015
  5. Sure. Pretty simple really. Missing tab.

captain997, Sep 20, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ah, that's why. You won't be able to for a DVD drive.

Brink, Sep 20, 2015
  7. Ooops. That explains it. Thanks.

captain997, Sep 20, 2015
  8. milanbl30 Win User

hi Brink,

I can't enable write caching on my Micro SD card 128 GB on Win 10 Surface Pro 2 ?

On Win 7 I was able and works ok.

If I try enable in device manager I get windows error - could not change write caching settings on this device...

Something wrong with WIN 10. I keep my Outlook files on my SD card and always freeze up my outlook 2013 after some time and I must restart computer.

thanks in advance with expert help

milanbl30, Sep 28, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello milanbl30, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Personally, I wouldn't recommend enabling write caching on removable media to help prevent data loss if it should be disconnected by mistake.

Brink, Sep 28, 2015
  10. milanbl30 Win User
    I use micro SD like HDD and it's always in slot.. don't worry about that, can you help me to solve my problem ?
    My outlook is freezeing everyday and must restart computer, can't work normally...

Outlook email files .pst I keep on micro SD.

milanbl30, Sep 28, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm not sure what may help other than seeing if formatting the SD may.

Brink, Sep 28, 2015
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Hiyya Shawn mate doing this I only get what is in the picture and I am guessing I am missing something here.

Ok it is not attaching pics for me but it is the same as what milan had in post #7 - just those two options.

ICIT2LOL, Dec 25, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello John, *Smile

That's normal. It'll vary.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Disk

2. Disable Filesystem Cache/File Direct write to Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable Filesystem Cache/File Direct write to Disk: Hi All,I am doing a testing inside diskSSD FW level. Whenever the files are copy/written from the windows it doesn't come to disk immediately, it cached the file write operation and written the disk as bulk. Eg: I am trying write 5000 fileseach file 4K size, As file size is...
  3. Disable Filesystem Cache/File Direct write to Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Filesystem Cache/File Direct write to Disk: Hi All,I am doing a testing inside diskSSD FW level. Whenever the files are copy/written from the windows it doesn't come to disk immediately, it cached the file write operation and written the disk as bulk. Eg: I am trying write 5000 fileseach file 4K size, As file size is...
  4. Disable Filesystem Cache/File Direct write to Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Write caching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Write caching: I don't know if it's windows 10 or my hard drive but every time I enable write caching it gets disabled after a restart I need this to be on without it write speed is 10 to 15 MB. submitted by /u/Trick_Economy_5565 [link] [comments]...
  6. How to enable or disable USB Write Protection on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable USB Write Protection on Windows 10: [ATTACH]USB Write access or USB Write protection is the security feature that can be enabled for any USB Data storage. The main purpose of enabling […] This article How to enable or disable USB Write Protection on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Disable Disk Write Caching on SSD in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable Disk Write Caching on SSD in Windows 10: Hi, I read the tutorial on how to disable write caching. But, when I shut down and later turn on my PC and check the policy tab for my Samsung SSD C: drive the caching box is checked again. Also I turned off "RAPID" on the SSD. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks...
  8. Hard drives write cache is always enabled at startup.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives write cache is always enabled at startup.: I want to disable my hard drives write cache to protect my machine in the event of a power failure, ie me having to to a hard reboot when it has frozen up. However I notice it keeps being re-enable at start-up. Any idea on how to fix it? The drive is actually one I...
  9. Disabling Write Cache on Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disabling Write Cache on Drive: Hi, I have seen in Event Viewer a Warning saying it is Recommended to Disable Write Cache on "DR2". - How to identify which Drive is that DR2? - Should I indeed disable the Write Cache as recomended by Windows? Thank you. 58268
  10. Enable or Disable Disk Write Protection in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Disk Write Protection in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Disk Write Protection in Windows How to Enable or Disable Write Protection for a Disk Drive in Windows Write protection (read-only) on a disk prevents the contents on the disk from being changed. There are many reasons for how a disk is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How can i change the write caching setting of device in windows 10 disable

2. enable or disable disk write caching for sd card