Windows 10: Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box

Discus and support Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box How to Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 12, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box

How to: Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box

How to Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box in Windows

The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Notepad, Registry Editor, etc...), and click/tap on Open, Save as, Import, or Export.

By default, the File name field in the dialog box includes a drop-down list of your recently used files to select from if wanted.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the drop-down list of recently used files in the common open file dialog box for all or specific users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the drop-down list of recent files in the common open file dialog box.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box for All or Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Drop-down list of recently used files enabled and disable in common open file dialog box

Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box for All or Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, File Explorer, and Common Open File Dialog. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Common Open File Dialog, double click/tap on the Hide the dropdown list of recent files policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box for All Users using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Comdlg32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Comdlg32

NoFileMru DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_common_dialog_box_dropdown_list_of_recent_files_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_common_dialog_box_dropdown_list_of_recent_files_for_all_users.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 12, 2018
  2. Try3 Win User

Search not working in shared folders in word.

Jordy,

Just a further note about my comment, "I think you are using a later version of Word but I cannot see that being significant as I would expect it to be calling a Windows search component rather than an Office one".

A new set of tutorials confirms that this window is indeed a common Windows one not a Word one -
    Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box - TenForumsTutorials
    Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box - TenForumsTutorials
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

3. eidairaman1, Oct 27, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Oct 27, 2019
  5. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Nath Bea Win User
    Wrong "remove from list" document on word mobile.

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern about re-enabling files that were removed from the Recent Documents List in Word, we suggest to follow this steps:

• Click the FILE tab in the program.
    • Click Options from the list on the left side of the screen.
    • On the Word Options dialog box, click Advanced in the list of options on the left.
    • On the Advanced screen, scroll down to the Display section. Select the value in the Show this number of Recent Documents edit box. You can choose to change the value to 0 to disable the list.
    • When you open Word, or select the Open option in the program, there are no documents in your Recent Documents list.
    • To re-enable the list, go back into the Word Options dialog box and enter the desired value (from 0 to 50, inclusive) in the Show this number of Recent Documents edit box on the Advanced screen. If any documents were previously displayed in the Recent Documents
      list, they are added to the list again.

We're just here if you have further questions.

Regards.

Nath Bea, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Dropdown List of Recent Files in Common Dialog Box - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Dropdown

2. Disabling Search Suggestion Dropdown Box Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling Search Suggestion Dropdown Box Not Working: For a long time I've used Google as a search engine. I use the address bar for search, don't like suggestions, so when I got Edge I had to learn how to turn off all that stuff. Worked fine. No dropdown.Recently I tried DuckDuckGo, didn't like it, went back to Google....
  3. How to disable recent files in search box

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable recent files in search box: Further to Duavago's question and solution here where he found how to disable the app history within the search box, I have discovered this only works for Pro versions since gpedit.msc is completely absent in Home versions. I did a bit of digging and found a solution as...
  4. Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes

in Windows 10 Support
    Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes: Win10Pro64 v2004. Greetings... I've just finished the build of a new PC, and I'm bothered by the large number of useless folders that are displayed in the left pane of open and save dialog boxes. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see. I'm hoping for advice about how to...
  5. Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window: I know this can be done and I do recall back in 2017 I was reading about this. However there is no possibility to know where exactly I found this two years back. Just like title says, I want to replace common CIDs used post-Vista to open / browse / save file with older...
  6. how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?: How do i disable file dialog box when i cleck Open, or Save as from any applications in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-common-open-file-dialog-box-in/5a99bb2f-8e30-4468-b7e6-e712e3febdd8"
  7. Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  8. Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  9. Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor),...
  10. Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows: How to: Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows [img] Information Starting with Windows Vista, the Common Item Dialog (CID) supersedes the older Common File Dialog when...