Windows 10: Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 17040, there is a hidden new floating Search bar that can be enabled for a more immersive Cortana that Microsoft is testing. This new look is similar to Apples macOS Spotlight Search feature.

Starting with Windows 10 version 1809 and higher, you can now also have round corners for Search.

By default in Windows 10 version 1809 and higher, you will see a full immersive search bar open just above the search icon or search box on the taskbar when you open search.

If you like, you can enable having a floating search bar or full search bar towards the top of your display instead.

When you enable the floating immersive Search bar, you will only be able to select Search to be Hidden or Show search icon on the taskbar.

When you disable the floating immersive Search bar, you will only be able to select Search to be Hidden, Show search icon, or Show search box on the taskbar.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18305.1003, Microsoft separated the Search and Cortana UI by giving them individual buttons and flyouts on the taskbar. The separate Search and Cortana features are currently only available for some Windows Insiders using A/B testing. If you have been included in this A/B testing, you can select to hide or show the separate Search and Cortana buttons on the taskbar now.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18317, Microsoft will be decoupling Search and Cortana in the taskbar. This will enable each experience to innovate independently to best serve their target audiences and use cases. Some Insiders have had this update for a few weeks now. For those new to this update, when it rolls out to you, youll find clicking the search box in the taskbar now launches our experience focused on giving you the best in house search experience and clicking the Cortana icon will launch you straight into our voice-first digital assistant experience.
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the floating immersive Search bar with or without rounded corners for your account in Windows 10.

*tip You can either press Win+S or click/tap on the Search icon (taskbar) to open Search.

EXAMPLE: Floating immersive Search bar enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Do the step below for what you would like to do.

2. Enable floating immersive search bar
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

Enable_floating_immersive_Search_bar.reg

Download

Code:
    3. Enable floating immersive search bar with round corners
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

Enable_floating_immersive_Search_bar_with_round_corners.reg

Download

Code:
    4. Enable floating immersive full search bar

Enable_floating_immersive_full_Search_bar.reg

Download

Code:
    5. Enable floating immersive full search bar with round corners

Enable_floating_immersive_full_Search_bar_with_round_corners.reg

Download

Code:
    6. Disable floating immersive search bar
    *note This is the default setting.

Disable_floating_immersive_Search_bar.reg

Download

Code:
    7. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

8. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

9. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

10. sign in to apply.

11. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 27, 2016
  2. ThrashZone, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Is it possible to allow Cortana to float in desktop instead of docked at taskbar?

So as per title. I know that in the past you can get floating search bar and Cortana being immersed with search functionality, will also be floating. However, since Cortana is now split from search bar, I only get a floating search bar, and Cortana is being
    docked to the taskbar. Is it possible to get Cortana floating also?

Thanks.

ChunGoh0306, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10

Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Mike 952 Win User
    floating search bar

I use msn as homepage on android device it blocks portion of the screen. When you scroll up it does diappear but half the picture they want you to see is gone. If you try to bring it down the search bar comes back to block it again. Suggestions? I would
    like to disable and look for search when I need it.

Mike 952, Oct 26, 2019
  6. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Floating Immersive Search Bar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Floating

2. Floating search bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Floating search bar: You can see from the image below that there's a gap between then search bar and taskbar. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/floating-search-bar/c7742ad0-967e-4227-b852-09daaf9f57f2
  3. Floating search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Floating search bar: You can see from the image below that there's a gap between then search bar and taskbar. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/floating-search-bar/c7742ad0-967e-4227-b852-09daaf9f57f2
  4. Floating search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. floating bar

floating bar: I have this weard floating bar at my screen and i dont know how to get rid of it. Can some help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/floating-bar/22b8c44b-0d3c-4514-a3b0-d4a228313421
  6. Floating search bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Floating search bar: Hello,Hope you can stir me in the right direction.How to get rid of floating search bar "Enter your search term"does not react to any mouse move and even after restart it came back???!!!What should I do to get rid of this?Thank you...
  7. Floating search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Floating search bar: Hello,Hope you can stir me in the right direction.How to get rid of floating search bar "Enter your search term"does not react to any mouse move and even after restart it came back???!!!What should I do to get rid of this?Thank you...
  8. Floating search bar

9. Hidden Floating Search Bar Shortcut?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hidden Floating Search Bar Shortcut?: So the other day, I was cleaning my keyboard with my PC on (I had a notepad on and avoided system keys). I seem to have pressed a key combination which launched a floating search bar in windows. On doing some google search on it I found that there is a hidden Floating search...
  10. Enable Immersive Search and Rounded Corners in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable Immersive Search and Rounded Corners in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In Windows 10 v1903 and later, the overall experience to search files, folders, remain more or less the same as seen in previous versions. However, you can make changes to the User Interface. For instance, you can replace the flat [...] This post Enable...