Windows 10: Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows How to Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows Font smoothing is used by default in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 22, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows

Font smoothing is used by default in Windows to make the jagged edges of text look smoother and more readable.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable font smoothing for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Visual Effects Performance Options
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Font Smoothing using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Font smoothing enabled and disabled

*note Click/tap on image to see full size.

Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Visual Effects Performance Options
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open to the Visual Effects tab in Performance Options

2. Check (enable - default) or uncheck (disable) Smooth edges of screen fonts for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Font Smoothing using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

FontSmoothing string value

0 = Disable
    2 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Font Smoothing
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the REG file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Smooth_edges_of_screen_fonts.reg

Download

3. To Disable Font Smoothing
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the REG file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Smooth_edges_of_screen_fonts.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 22, 2018
  2. Flodul Win User

disable font-smoothing in Microsoft Edge

No, I mean font-smoothing. I've disabled ClearType for the system and got better results for all other applications except Internet Explorer and Edge.
    With font-smoothing I get ugly looking fonts like this:

Flodul, Oct 27, 2019
  3. ati.bob Win User
    Hardware Font Smoothing?

What I mean is that is the font smoothing (ClearType/Standard Font Smoothing) is accelerated (processed) by the GPU.. I know how to enable it and my display colour quality is at 32-bits per pixel (I don't hink that affects text quality though).. *Wink Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows ;)

ati.bob, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Mystere Win User

disable font-smoothing in Microsoft Edge

I think you're confusing font smoothing with blurry fonts. Font smoothing is not causing that. So disabling doesn't fix your blurry fonts.

Mystere, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Hardware Font Smoothing?

Does it matter? I mean, today's procs and vidcards are more than fast enough to run any 2d applications (except for realtime HQ video compression maybe) without having to worry about smoothing the edge of fonts by hardware...

15th Warlock, Oct 27, 2019
  6. fonts

Hi,

For clarification regarding your smooth fonts in Windows, we would like to know if you are referring to the
    Smooth edges of screen fonts option in Windows 10. If yes, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how to select it:

• Type-in advanced in the search box, and click View advanced system settings on the list.
    • As the System Properties window shows up, tap Settings in Performance.
    • Select Smooth edges of screen fonts, and hit OK.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Font

2. Preeti font is not smoothly Running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preeti font is not smoothly Running: Preeti font Nepali is not working properly on my windows 11 from the beginning. I have microsoft 2010. and US, UK, Australia English keyboard. Nepali typing is smooth on Nepali keyboard but not in other keyboard. Specially, Shift + F, ],', Alt + number, are not working, they...
  3. Preeti font is not smoothly Running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preeti font is not smoothly Running: Preeti font Nepali is not working properly on my windows 11 from the beginning. I have microsoft 2010. and US, UK, Australia English keyboard. Nepali typing is smooth on Nepali keyboard but not in other keyboard. Specially, Shift + F, ],', Alt + number, are not working, they...
  4. Performance impact of disabling font smoothing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance impact of disabling font smoothing: Was looking for ways to optimize Windows and found this article. Tip #6 suggests choosing the performance option. On doing so, improvements are noticed. However, the fonts edges not looking smooth dampens the UX. On a fresh install, it would help if someone can confirm the...
  5. Performance impact of disabling font smoothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance impact of disabling font smoothing: Was looking for ways to optimize Windows and found this article. Tip #6 suggests choosing the performance option. On doing so, improvements are noticed. However, the fonts edges not looking smooth dampens the UX. On a fresh install, it would help if someone can confirm the...
  6. Performance impact of disabling font smoothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Remove windows 10 font smoothing?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove windows 10 font smoothing?: Hello, everyone. I have this problem in Windows 10. I don't want it, I like windows 7. But, hardware changes and stigma for anything you like personally are gradually and forcefully being changed in a direction I can't control. i.e. companies requiring a certain browser, or...
  8. disable font-smoothing in Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    disable font-smoothing in Microsoft Edge: Does anyone know how to disable font-smoothing in MS Edge? The system-wide setting doesnt work. 10692
  9. Enable or Disable Smooth Scrolling in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Smooth Scrolling in Google Chrome: How to: Enable or Disable Smooth Scrolling in Google Chrome How to Enable or Disable Smooth Scrolling in Google Chrome in Windows In Google Chrome, you can enable or disable a flag for an experimental feature to animate smoothly when scrolling page content in Google...
  10. Font smoothing updates?

in Windows 10 Support
    Font smoothing updates?: Hi, I skipped Windows 8.1 after trying it for a while since font smoothing was terribly bad in some parts of the OS (such as Metro) and I found tons of threads on forums that tried to solve this problem for people who experience bad looking fonts like me but I didn't have...