Windows 10: Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows How to Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows Windows includes a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to find, see, open, and switch between your apps. You can also see the specify how taskbar buttons group together when you have more than one window open.

If you have multiple displays, then you will be able to set button grouping separately for the main taskbar and other taskbars.

Taskbar Button Grouping Options:
    • Always combine, hide labels - This is the default setting. Each app appears as a single, unlabeled button (icon), even when multiple windows for an app are open.
    • Combine when taskbar is full - This setting shows each open window as an individual, labeled button. When the taskbar becomes crowded, apps with multiple open windows collapse into a single app button. Clicking the button displays a list of the windows that are open.
    • Never combine - This setting shows each window as an individual, labeled button, and never combines them, no matter how many windows are open. As more apps and windows open, buttons get smaller, and eventually the buttons will scroll.
    If you like, you can prevent the grouping of taskbar buttons in Windows.

If disabled, taskbar buttons will be set to always never combine, and the Combine taskbar buttons and Combine button on other taskbars settings will be grayed out.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable grouping of taskbar buttons for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable taskbar grouping.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons for All Users using a REG file
    EXAMPLE: Grouping of Taskbar Buttons enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Prevent grouping of taskbar items policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoTaskGrouping DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_grouping_of_taskbar_buttons.reg

Download

3. To Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_grouping_of_taskbar_buttons.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can either restart the computer to apply.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 26, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  3. davidhk Win User
    VOLUME and NETWORK buttons in taskbar do nothing when clicked

I had the same problem with my Volume icon at system tray. The following tutorial will fix it.

Enable or Disable System Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10

Use Option One :
    Start with step #3 and 4 > click the Download buttons > continue to step #7 through 11.
    Restart computer afterwards, just to make sure.

davidhk, Oct 27, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Windows 10: Multiple instances of an application & taskbar buttons

Hi, simple way seems to be 7+ taskbar tweaker (free) (bottom right option)

7+ Taskbar Tweaker - RaMMicHaeLs Blog
    (Ignore the 7- it is updated periodically)

E.g. I launched 2x Wordpad, not combining buttons. As you say they moved together.
    Use that option, I could move just one button.

I expect there's a group policy setting, registry setting or mention of this in a tutorial here.

Note Wordpad buttons separated:

Related:
    Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows | Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  5. mod2max Win User
    Cannot disable Taskbar live preview in 7!

Hi all,

Recently tried out Windows 7 and decided to run it on my other HDD insted of VMware.

I'm trying to disable the taskbar live preview, and I've tried everything I can find:

> Creating a DWORD reg file named "DisablePreviewWindow" value 1 - Didn't work.

> Creating a DWORD reg file named "TaskbarNoPreview" value 1 - Didn't work.

> Local group policy editer "Turn off taskbar thumbnails" and check enable - Didn't work and noticed that it says "Supported on: Windows Vista Only"...

Can anyone tell me if they know how to turn this off it's really really annoying, and more annoying that everything I've tried dosn't work...

Cheers to anyone that can help *Smile Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows :)

mod2max, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 10 taskbar app icon not showing preview (Taskbar Hover preview)

daiyueweng, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Grouping of Taskbar Buttons in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Grouping

2. Disable grouping NOT COMBINING applications on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable grouping NOT COMBINING applications on taskbar: Most people don't know the difference between combining buttons on the taskbar and trouping non-combined buttons on the taskbar. Not even Microsoft support knows it really.I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO HINDER WINDOWS 10 FROM COMBINING BUTTONS ON TASKBAR!But I am asking how to HINDER...
  3. Disable grouping NOT COMBINING applications on taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable grouping NOT COMBINING applications on taskbar: Most people don't know the difference between combining buttons on the taskbar and trouping non-combined buttons on the taskbar. Not even Microsoft support knows it really.I AM NOT ASKING HOW TO HINDER WINDOWS 10 FROM COMBINING BUTTONS ON TASKBAR!But I am asking how to HINDER...
  4. Disable grouping NOT COMBINING applications on taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Enable or Disable News and Interests on Taskbar using Group Policy or Registry Editor

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable News and Interests on Taskbar using Group Policy or Registry Editor: Microsoft has announced that News and Interests will be available on the Windows taskbar in a gradual rollout to PC users in the coming weeks. The widget is designed to help Windows users stay up to date, at a glance, with weather, news, and more In this post, we will show...
  6. Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups

in Windows 10 News
    Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups: Taskbar groups is a new open source program for Microsoft Windows devices to create groups of icons on the taskbar. The main idea of the program is to bundle multiple shortcuts on the taskbar to save space on it. While that may not be required on large resolution systems, it...
  7. Enable or Disable Taskbar Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Taskbar Settings in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Taskbar Settings in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Taskbar Settings in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...
  8. Enable or Disable Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...
  9. Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you...
  10. Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...