Windows 10: Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows How to Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows

Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows [​IMG]
    Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed.

The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in the background. The index will automatically rebuild and update for changes made to the included locations since the last index rebuild to increase search result accuracy.

By default, the search indexer backoff feature will reduce indexing speed while rebuilding the index when there is user activity, and will automatically continue at full speed when no user activity is detected.

If indexer backoff is disabled, indexing will continue at full speed even when system activity is high.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable indexer backoff used to reduce indexing speed when there is user activity in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable indexer backoff.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Indexed backoff enabled and disabled

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Local Group Policy Editor

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Search

3. In the right pane of Search in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Disable indexer backoff policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Indexer Backoff
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Indexer Backoff
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

DisableBackoff DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Indexer Backoff
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Indexer_Backoff.reg

Download

3. To Disable Indexer Backoff
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Indexer_Backoff.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 26, 2018
  2. possom2009, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows

Indexing is not working

Hi Doc,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

This issue may occur due to corrupt Windows search files or settings. I suggest you to follow the below method and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run search and indexing troubleshooter
    and check. Please follow these steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.

• Click troubleshooting in the search results.

• Click "View all" and then click "Search and Indexing".

• Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Check if Indexing and Windows Search services are enabled. If not, enable them, if they are already enabled, then disable Windows Search Service and then enable again and restart.

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type services in the run box, go to the Windows search services and restart them.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Try3 Win User
  6. possom2009, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Indexer Backoff in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Indexer

2. Disable Indexing Service\Windows Search

in Cortana
    Disable Indexing Service\Windows Search: Several people have told me I should do this to help my SSD. How do I do this? "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir...
  3. Win10 Update 2004 broke indexer "disable backoff" setting?

in Cortana
    Win10 Update 2004 broke indexer "disable backoff" setting?: Noticed a change in the behavior of the search indexer after the Win10 2004 update. I have "Disable indexer backoff" set to "Enabled" via gpedit.msc. Before the update, this would force the indexer to run continuously until indexing was done--even if the PC was in use or...
  4. Windows 10 Indexer Backoff

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Indexer Backoff: I have done this many times before and am not sure why it isn't working. I just got a new laptop and installed the latest version of Win10, 1909. After installing office and setting everything up, I typically turn off the indexing back-off group policy to allow my stuff to...
  5. temporarily disable indexing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    temporarily disable indexing: I suspect that windows indexing might be causing the short, intermittent freezes that I have been experiencing. I want to test it. I went to services and stopped windows search. But I see that the process SearchIndexer.exe is still running. What is the right way to do...
  6. Indexer Backoff - Enable or Disable in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Indexer Backoff - Enable or Disable in Windows 10?: Is there a way to do this in windows 10? Indexer Backoff - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums 25920
  7. Enable or Disable Advanced Indexing Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Advanced Indexing Options in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Advanced Indexing Options in Windows How to Enable or Disable Advanced Indexing Options in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. This tutorial will show you how to...
  8. Enable or Disable Modifying Indexed Locations in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Modifying Indexed Locations in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Modifying Indexed Locations in Windows How to Enable or Disable Modifying Indexed Locations in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. This tutorial will show you how...
  9. Enable or Disable Indexing when on Battery Power in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Indexing when on Battery Power in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Indexing when on Battery Power in Windows [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in the...
  10. Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows How to Enable or Disable Search Indexing in Windows Indexing the contents of your PC helps you get faster results when you're searching it for files and other things. Learn how it works. Indexing is the process of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disablebackoff unable tomodify