Windows 10: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows How to Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

When signs in to the new account for the first time.

A sign in to Windows.

A user's profile folder also contains their personal folders such as the 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music, OneDrive, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches, and Videos folders.

If Windows cannot access the user profile folder or the profile contains errors that prevent it from loading, Windows will sign in the user with a temporary profile by default.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable signing in users with temporary profiles in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable signing in users with temporary profiles.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Log On Users with Temporary Profiles enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, and User Profiles. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of User Profiles, double click/tap on the Do not log users on with temporary profiles policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

ProfileErrorAction DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_sign-in_users_with_temporary_profiles.reg

Download

3. To Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_sign-in_users_with_temporary_profiles.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 29, 2016

2. PC is logging in to temporary profile

Hi Shayna,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with temporary profile on your PC, and I certainly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue by performing troubleshooting steps.

I would suggest you to refer the
    suggestions
    provided by me replied on May 24, 2019 and see if that helps.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the details of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Twilimark Win User
    Disable Temporary Profile

I need to disable temporary profile when a user logs in. I need it to go into a black screen to prevent anyone who removed the shell from being able to see what is on the computer and explore it. I have been looking for ways to stop it, but all I have found
    so far is how to fix it when the temporary profile shows up. But I don't want it to every bring up a temporary profile.

Thank you

Twilimark, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10  

I came home today and had to log in to my desktop. When I did it said it was preparing Windows and I was taken to the temporary profile. I followed the tutorial to delete the profile folder path (step 9). At some point in the process, I confirmed that I could see my old files in C: \Users\BriggsDesktop. When I restarted, it went through the "We're glad you're here" screens. However it took me back to the desktop that looks just like the temporary profile one. I can no longer find all of my files. I tried doing a restore, but it did not complete successfully. Suggestions?

Justinbriggs, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Temporary Profile on Logon

Hi Elaine,

Being signed in with a temporary profile may occur if the user account is not loaded correctly or has been removed from the system. For us to properly assist you in rectifying this unusual behavior, supply more information by answering these questions:

• Is your PC connected to a domain?
    • Were you able to load the same profile on your computer before using the new hard drive?
    • What exactly is being logged in as "temporary profile"? Is it another user account on your computer?
    • Aside from using the new hard drive, have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Dhavelyn Mer, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Error "you have been signed in with a temporary profile" on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand you are concern as you receive an error "you have been signed in with a temporary profile", we will help you with this issue.

Kindly let us know if your device is connected to domain network.

If you are not connected to domain, then I suggest you to try to login to your temporary user account, enable built in administrator account and perform the below troubleshooting step:

Step 1: Enable Built-in Admin account.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
    • Type the following command and hit Enter:
      • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
    • Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Step 2: Run the SFC.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Log On Users with Temporary Profiles in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Log

2. cant login to temporary user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant login to temporary user profile: Out of the blue this morning, when I turned on my PC I got that "You have been logged in with a temporary profile" message. I can't log off and log in with another user because there is only one option to choose from..When I click on Computer - Local Disk C: - Users, it...
  3. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue: A User Profile is a collection of settings and data of a user account. It is stored in the user's C:\Users\<user name> profile folder.Temporary User Profile: A temporary profile is created each time that an error condition prevents the user's profile from loading. Temporary...
  4. Temporary user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Temporary user profile: How do I change a temporary profile to a permanent one so that I don't lose settings and data every time I close down? I tried A. User's instruction but I got stuck at the net user administrator /active:yes command. This started when I tried to block certain websites by...
  5. Keep on logging on temporary profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keep on logging on temporary profile: I just bought a laptop, then a windows update pops up and whenever I tried installing it it gets stucked on a loading windows screen, so I looked into some troubleshoots for this problem, until I came across to a suggestion to delete my previous windows files which is in the...
  6. Domain user getting a temporary profile when logging on a workstation

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Domain user getting a temporary profile when logging on a workstation: One of the domain user is getting logged onto a temporary profile on any workstation that they log onto. I have checked the registry and removed the corrupted user profile. Ensured that the user profile was deleted. Also performed a sfc and dism. DISM fails when you do a scan...
  7. Temporary Profile Log In

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporary Profile Log In: When I log in I get a pop up that says I am logging in with a temporary profile and I can't access my Microsoft Office documents. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temporary-profile-log-in/ba82d217-0ff4-477c-bf11-1f7d7ff01c1b"
  8. Logged in with "Temporary Profile" & "Apps not opening"

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Logged in with "Temporary Profile" & "Apps not opening": After the latest update i am not able to access any of my microsoft apps and i get the message "You need a new link to open this app" And It also says that i am "logged in with a Temporary Profile.Roaming options are unavailable." Plz i need urgent help!!...
  9. Modify the temporary user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Modify the temporary user profile: Hi, Many family members and their children come to my house and use my laptop. However, several times, they have wrecked my personal user account. I have setup a local account for this matter, called Visitor. In the users folder, I renamed 'visitor' to 'visitor1', so...
  10. Logging back in as temporary user

in Windows 10 Support
    Logging back in as temporary user: I understand others have had problems logging in as a temporary user when updating to windows 10 and a reboot or update sorts this out. But does anyone know how I can log back in as that temporary user again?? I moved some documents and pictures (in the folder...