Windows 10: Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Dragging Maximized Windows in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Night Hawk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Dragging Maximized Windows in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information By default, you can drag a maximized window from its title bar to restore down or move to another display.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to drag windows while they are maximized in only your user account in Windows 10.

Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note If you turn off Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen (Aero Snap), you will also no longer be able to drag maximized windows.

The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

DragFromMaximize DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Dragging Maximized Windows
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Drag_Maximized_Windows.reg

Download

3. To Disable Dragging Maximized Windows
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Drag_Maximized_Windows.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Night Hawk, Oct 23, 2015

2. Possible to Disable Horizontal Snap, While Keeping Vertical? (Windows 10)

I would like to disable corner snapping on my Windows 10 machine, but a really like how dragging a window to the top of the screen maximizes it. I basically just want to disable to horizontal feature of the snapping tool as I have to drag the window to almost
    the bottom of the screen to get it to move to the next monitor.

Is there any way to keep the feature of dragging the window to the top and it auto maximizing and turn off the horizontal portion of the feature?

DanielRCampbell, Oct 23, 2015
  3. FableT Win User
    Why can't I drag maximized windows with snap disabled

I have my system set up in a three monitor environment. I was forced to disable the snap because of the extremely frustrating handling of "sticky edges" between each screen. Recently, I have noticed that I am not longer able to drag a maximized window,
    but first have to unmaximized my windows before I can drag them to a new position. This is a gigantic inconvenience.

I checked my HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel > Desktop > DragFromMaximize setting. It is set to 1 which should be the appropriate setting to allow me to complete this action.

Further searches indicate that this is somehow tied to having the snap feature disabled, but I was unable to find suggestions on how to set my preferences and/or registry settings to either make the drag maximized window behavior work with snap disabled
    or apply a different set of settings that would allow me to leave snap enabled but disable sticky edges.

Move from: [ Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings ]

FableT, Oct 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10

The good news is that when you have drag maximized windows disabled, you'll still be able to minimize the window to then be able to drag it where you like.

This is mostly good for when you're always dragging a maximized window by mistake somehow.

Brink, Oct 23, 2015
  5. When looking back at the previous versions I was finding the name had changed for the registry value while the location was still the same. On 7 for example that would be the "DragFullWindows REG_SZ 1" item you would look for.

I've had to drag minimized windows on occasions before and the one annoyance seen is when not wanting a window maximized when bumping it into the far edge of the screen when trying to line up a few windows.

Night Hawk, Oct 23, 2015
  6. Warluck Win User
    Bonjour,
    I'm having an issue after uninstalling Display Fusion.

Now I can not drag a maximized window from one scree to an other without activating Aero Snap (which I hate). Even if I disable the Aero snap but change the registry key as shown above, it doesn't work.

Is there an other feature that would prevent dragging maximized windows other than the registry shown here?

Warluck, Dec 11, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Warluck,

I'm not aware of any other way.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Maximized

2. Cannot drag a maximized window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot drag a maximized window: Hello all, I bought a new mouse, and as soon as I use the new mouse I am unable to pick up a window and drag over to my second screen... it stops at the edge of the screen in the middle when the mouse cursor gets there. I have to pick up the window on the other window with my...
  3. Cannot drag a maximized window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot drag a maximized window: Hello all, I bought a new mouse, and as soon as I use the new mouse I am unable to pick up a window and drag over to my second screen... it stops at the edge of the screen in the middle when the mouse cursor gets there. I have to pick up the window on the other window with my...
  4. Cannot drag a maximized window

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Fix maximized window won’t drag in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix maximized window won’t drag in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]In this post, we provide the most suitable solutions to fix an issue where maximized window won’t drag on your Windows 11/10 PC even though the behavior is already enabled. Maximized window won’t drag in Windows 11/10 If Maximized window won’t drag on your Windows...
  6. Dragging a window maximizes it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dragging a window maximizes it: I’m having an issue using windows 10 where when I try and drag a window it automatically maximizes with a green number 1. I’ve found threads with same issue and tried disabling the “prevent windows” option in ease of access but I want the sizing hot keys and options. Is there...
  7. Drag window to maximize/restore size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drag window to maximize/restore size: On my win10pro workstation I'm able to drag a window to the top of the screen to maximize it. In the same way, I can drag it down to restore it. I really like this feature and it has become my go to way of maximizing/restoring windows. Now to the problem. This feature is...
  8. Would like to reconfigure window dragging to drag when maximized.

in Windows 10 Support
    Would like to reconfigure window dragging to drag when maximized.: Hello folks. I have a new install of W10 and would like to set up the window dragging to drag when the window is maximized. It was the default setting on W7 but not W10. In W7, not only could I drag the window while it was maximized, if I just grabbed the title bar and moved...
  9. Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing: How to: Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing How to Enable or Disable Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing in Windows By default, Windows will animate (fade and slide) windows when you minimize and maximize them. If you don't...
  10. How can I enable dragging of Maximized windows? Few others..

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I enable dragging of Maximized windows? Few others..: In windows 7, I could drag maximized windows between monitors without having to resize them. How do I enable this with Windows 10? I do not use Windows snap, nor do I want to what-so-ever. Disabling it was the very first thing I had to do before I lost my mind. How...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. enable maximized window dragging windows 10

2. enable window drag to arrange

3. disable dragging maximized windows

4. how do i change settings in windows 10 so the window doesnt maximize when i drag it to the corner,
  5. the ultramon windows 10 is not working when the window is maximized,
  6. windows 10 drag maximized window,
  7. windows 10 disable maxymalize window,
  8. enable maximized window,
  9. disable excel 2016 automatically maximize when dragging,
  10. how to drag windows while maximized in windows 10