Windows 10: Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Desktop App

Discus and support Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Desktop App in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Desktop App How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 9, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Desktop App

How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Desktop App

How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App in Windows 10

If you like, you can configure a group policy setting that lets you control whether Microsoft Store apps can open files using the default desktop app for a file type. Because desktop apps run at a higher integrity level than Microsoft Store apps, there is a risk that a Microsoft Store app might compromise the system by opening a file in the default desktop app for a file type.

If you enable this policy setting, Microsoft Store apps cannot open files in the default desktop app for a file type; they can open files only in other Microsoft Store apps.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Microsoft Store apps can open files in the default desktop app for a file type.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Microsoft Store apps from being able to open files in the default desktop app for a file type for all users in Windows 8 and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Message when Microsoft Store app not allowed to open a file in a desktop app set as the default app for this file type

Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Desktop App [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App using Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below to set this policy.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/App runtime

3. In the right pane of App runtime in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Block launching desktop apps associated with a file policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. If you like, you can now close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations

BlockFileElevation DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Microsoft_Store_apps_open_files_using_default_desktop_app.reg

Download

3. To Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Default Desktop App
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Store_apps_open_files_using_default_desktop_app.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 9, 2018

2. microsoft app store

How to run apps that are downloaded from Microsoft app store on multiple PCs without downloading multiple times.

Subhash Boipai, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Apple Claims Steam Link App Violates App Store Guidelines

Here's what Valve is contending with:
    App Store Review Guidelines - Apple Developer

The ones that stand out that may have caught Steam Link:
    So yeah, there's a lot of reasons why Steam Link would get rejected.

App submissions and approvals is a thing between developer and Apple. Valve intentionally let this information leak probably because Apple's restrictive guidlines will never allow Steam Link to be on the store. Valve is hoping the Steam user base makes a lot of noise so Apple grants Valve and exemption. I doubt it will work. Apple loves control and Steam Link is a portal into the Linux/Windows ecosystem. Even if Steam Link were exclusive to Mac OS, Apple would likely demand Valve use Mac OS's remote desktop features rather than Steam Link.

I'd be shocked if Apple allows it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

"Microsoft is sending emails to some Windows Store developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the Store for violating its quality standards."

"Neowin reports that app developers have been receiving these emails over the past couple of days:

In its latest review of the Store, Microsoft is evaluating if the published apps are good enough to be listed in the Windows Store. This includes publicly available apps as well as private beta apps. Additionally, Microsoft is also asking developers to delete any promotional campaigns for their apps to prevent advertising charges. Similarly, app name reservations are also being nullified; which means that if your app is unpublished, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to republish it under the same name.

Officially, the policies for the Microsoft Store says that apps must have "distinct and informative metadata" and "provide a valuable and quality user experience". There are also some specific standards that must be in the apps, including having a name that is not similar to another app or device, along with offering a description that is accurate about its features and functions.

There have certainly been many Windows Store users who have complained over the years about the large number of apps published that are clones of other apps or ones that are simply poorly made. Hopefully, this new move by Microsoft will help to curb these issues, at least for now.
    "

Microsoft to remove low quality apps from Windows Store

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Desktop App :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

About time.
    I would greatly appreciate, if MS had separated smartphone/tablet apps from Desktop/Laptop apps (at least created dedicated categories for such apps).
    The actual delivery mechanism of Windows Store is very good, and very usable (much better than Ubuntu Software Center), but the content is either not there, or meant to be used on a touch-enabled device.

silentbogo, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps Open Files in Desktop App - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Microsoft

2. Microsoft Store and Apps not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store and Apps not opening: Hello, I'm running 22h2 and the Store and Apps will not open. I've tried the wsreset and get a purge error. There is no cache to clear in the store directory local state folder, DISM didn't work, SFC /scannow didn't work, the time and date are correct, and an inplace upgrade...
  3. Microsoft Store and Apps not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Store and Apps not opening: Hello, I'm running 22h2 and the Store and Apps will not open. I've tried the wsreset and get a purge error. There is no cache to clear in the store directory local state folder, DISM didn't work, SFC /scannow didn't work, the time and date are correct, and an inplace upgrade...
  4. microsoft app store not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft app store not opening: Whenever I click the button/link, it does not open. It does this with several apps, like the calculator app. I uninstalled the calculator app but now I can't reinstall it When I go to reinstall from the browser version of the Microsoft app store, it doesn't open anything....
  5. Microsoft Store app not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store app not opening: I cant open the Microsft store application, when I try to open it there is an error something went wrong at it closes the app however when i check the app manager it is still running in the backround .how to fix this error? how to re-open the store application...
  6. Microsoft Store app not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store app not opening: I cant open the Microsft store application, when I try to open it there is an error something went wrong at it closes the app however when i check the app manager it is still running in the backround .how to fix this error? how to re-open the store application...
  7. Microsoft Store app not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Microsoft store and apps not opening

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store and apps not opening: How to fix all apps including Microsoft store not opening.? The Calculator is looks like downloading or updating but endless. I already run the cmd as admin and type wsreset and other method but did'nt work....
  9. Microsoft Store/apps will not open.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store/apps will not open.: Made the mistake of switching to Windows and have had nothing but problems. Recently purchased a Surface Pro 6 before I go abroad for a year in hopes that this would be good for traveling...current issue is as follows.. Microsoft Store will not open and neither will any of...
  10. Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Store Apps in Windows 10 The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase, or get for...