Windows 10: Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by milleranthony, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account.

Turning Num Lock on allows you to use the numbers on the keypad and turning the Num Lock off enables the key's other functions, such as using the keypad as an arrow pad.

The Num Lock toggle key is turned off by default while on the sign-in screen. Having Num Lock turned on for the sign-in screen can be handy if you have a password with numbers or use a PIN to sign in to Windows 10 with.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable having Num Lock turned on for the sign-in (logon) screen of all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable Num Lock on the sign-in screen.

EXAMPLE: Sign-in screen for Windows 10

Here's How:

Note The .reg files below will modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

InitialKeyboardIndicators string value

2147483648 = disable
    2 = enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen

Note This is the default setting.

It has been reported that some people needed to turn off fast startup first, enable num lock, then be able to turn on fast startup again after restarting the computer.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Num_Lock_on_Sign-in_screen.reg

Download

3. To Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Num_Lock_on_Sign-in_screen.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

milleranthony, Aug 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 Login Screen - How to Modify

In short, No.I haven't seen an article like this where this could happen.Ten forums has following tutorials related to sign In screen:

• Sign-in Animation - Turn On or Off in Window 10
    • Sign-in Message for Users - Add in Windows 10
    • Sign-in on Wakeup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen Accent Color - Change in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen Background Image - Change in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen Background Image - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen - Do Not Display User Name in Windows 10
    • Sign-in Screen - Enable or Disable Num Lock in Windows 10
    • Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 23, 2016
  3. JB_920 Win User
    Windows10 Enable Num Lock when turns ons

Hi Anil,

Thank you for your reply, however I have not had any success.

I had num locked enabled then I followed the steps exactly... unchecked
    Turn on fast startup (recommended)
    and saved the changes. I restarted the computer and num lock is still disabled on start up.

I have also tried another forum suggested method: log in screen press num lock key to enable and then restarting from log in screen. This also did not work. Is it something to do with windows 10??

Thanks

JB_920, Aug 23, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Hello Tony, *Smile

Yes, the tutorial will work in all Windows.

Brink, Aug 23, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    UPDATE:

Starting with Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14926:

Brink, Sep 13, 2016
  6. Thank you just enabled mine so now all good

hTconeM9user, Oct 3, 2016
  7. madmax2 Win User
    Hi Brink,

the reg file/hack does not work..
    I still noticed it randomly turn off numlock at startup..

madmax2, Oct 7, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello madmax2, *Smile

Some Windows Updates can reset this after they are installed, so this could be what happened.

Brink, Oct 7, 2016
  9. madmax2 Win User
    Nope no updates here that I know off..
    Seems to still occur randomly after a shutdown

I think it is more to do with the fast startup..

which someone has suggested to disable,
    but this would cause bootup speed to be slower..

madmax2, Oct 7, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If it is Fast Startup at fault, then you could do this below to sort it. *Smile

1) Turn off Fast Startup.

2) Enable Num Lock at startup.

3) Restart the computer to lock it in.

4) You can turn Fast Startup back on again if you like, and have Num Lock stay enabled at startup.

Brink, Oct 7, 2016
  11. swarfega Win User
    Thanks for this, will try it out. I can't see why they don't make Windows remember the state of numlock.

swarfega, Oct 7, 2016
  12. madmax2 Win User
    Not sure if this method works either,
    since numlock needs to be activated while fast startup is enabled, not disabled like you suggested.

Turning off fast startup and numlock on, does not associate numlock on with fast startup..so no point doing this..

Only when fast startup is on and numlock is on, then you immediately shutdown pc and turn it on, that it saves numlock on to fast startup state..
    I have tried this method already from this article below, but it still is randomly turning off numlock, so this method is not working permanently either..

===

Can you test your method a number times and tell me if it works or not?
    Cos I don't think it will work either..since the method I mention in the article was suppose to save numlock state to fast startup
    but it does not work permanently either..and will randomly turn off numlock state..

madmax2, Oct 8, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Did you give what I posted a try though?

The tutorial works just fine for me. It does get reset after a new Windows 10 build update, and has to be reapplied afterwards.

Brink, Oct 8, 2016
  14. madmax2 Win User
    So numlock always on for you?

Which method did you used?

madmax2, Oct 8, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's always on for the Sign-in screen.

I used the enable option in the tutorial on the first page here.

Brink, Oct 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Num

2. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to permanently disable Num lock?: Hi, I have an acer laptop, with a row of numbers above the letters, and also, if I engage num lock there is number pad type layout on the right-hand side of the letters on the keyboard. for my bookkeeping I need easy access to numbers and letters simultaneously. I have...
  3. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to permanently disable Num lock?: Hi, I have an acer laptop, with a row of numbers above the letters, and also, if I engage num lock there is number pad type layout on the right-hand side of the letters on the keyboard. for my bookkeeping I need easy access to numbers and letters simultaneously. I have...
  4. Windows disable num lock on Sign Up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows disable num lock on Sign Up: Hello, I have this issue with my windows always disabling numlock, when I try to sign up.I have a workstation and I recently purchased Windows 10 Pro. Ever since than, I need to sign up using Microsoft credentials to unlock my computer. I noticed that when I click the 'sign...
  5. Windows disable num lock on Sign Up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows disable num lock on Sign Up: Hello, I have this issue with my windows always disabling numlock, when I try to sign up.I have a workstation and I recently purchased Windows 10 Pro. Ever since than, I need to sign up using Microsoft credentials to unlock my computer. I noticed that when I click the 'sign...
  6. Windows disable num lock on Sign Up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In Windows 10, you can decide how long you want each image to be […] This article Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. enable num lock key not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    enable num lock key not working.: This is my second Win 10 laptop and am having a problem with the enable num lock fix. It worked like a charm on my first laptop so am not sure why It's not working this time. I tried removing it and enabling three times but for some reason, it's not working. Any...
  9. Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana on your Lock Screen in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of...
  10. Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information The lock screen is the screen you see when you lock your PC (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when you are...