Windows 10: Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Numerical sorting in File Explorer is enabled by default in Windows 10.

When numerical sorting is enabled, File Explorer will sort file names by increasing number value (for example, 3 < 22 < 111).

When numerical sorting is disabled, File Explorer will sort file names by each digit in a file name (for example, 111 < 22 < 3).

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable numerical sorting in File Explorer for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable numerical sorting in File Explorer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Numerical Sorting in File Explorer Enabled and Disabled

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer using Local Group Policy Editor

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer

3. In the right pane of File Explorer in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off numerical sorting in File Explorer policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoStrCmpLogical DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_numerical_sorting_in_File_Explorer.reg

Download

3. To Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_numerical_sorting_in_File_Explorer.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 17, 2017
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Keith A. Miller, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. ARYLIOA Win User
    Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums:

Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the full key in the registry. I was not especially brave since I had saved a full image this morning. (You do have to reboot between changes for them to take effect.)

I created 8 files numbered 01, 1, 02, 2, 4, 15, 25, and 45. Then I downloaded the .reg files from that web site and applied them to see what happens. It appears W10 changed the default. It also appears the changes are still valid choices.

Anyway, W10 default is definitely with numeric sort enabled. As I created them, they came out in 01, 1, 02, 2, 4, 15, 25, and 45. (I don't know if the leading 0 is disregarded completely and might sort differently at some times, but they are in true numeric sequence since lead 0s should be disregarded.)

I ran the one to enable them first since disabled was the W7 default, and nothing changed. That reinforced that the defaults have been switched.

Then I ran the one to disable the numeric sort and the sequence changed to 01, 02, 1, 15, 2, 25, 4, 45. Basically straight ASCII collating sequence, not the numeric sequence Windows provides.

Anyway, I thought someone might be interested, and perhaps the equivalent information could be added to the Tutorials for W10 (reversing the default spec).

(edited to clean up mixed fonts)

ARYLIOA, Oct 26, 2019
  6. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Numerical

2. Cannot disable numerical aka logical sorting in file explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot disable numerical aka logical sorting in file explorer in Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Home version 2004 installed and I want to disable numerical aka logical sorting in file explorer. I have tried both approaches via registry and group policy manager as explained here and in other places:...
  3. Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 File Explorer: [ATTACH]In Windows 10, the File Explorer shows us tiny previews for videos and images that are stored on our system’s hard disk. Most of us […] This article Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 File Explorer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting: Windows 10 Pro - Version 1903 Numerical sorting is turned on in group policy editor. Files are not sorting correctly. Decimal numbers are listed after whole numbers. Folders are sorting correctly. Number lists in Microsoft Office 2013 Word & Excel sort correctly. What could...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting: Windows 10 Pro - Version 1903 Numerical sorting is turned on in group policy editor. Files are not sorting correctly. Decimal numbers are listed after whole numbers. Folders are sorting correctly. Number lists in Microsoft Office 2013 Word & Excel sort correctly. What could...
  6. Sorting files and folders numerically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting files and folders numerically: Hi, I want to sort the files and folders numerically on my Windows 10 OS. If i give the name '01.Abc' to a .doc and '02.Edf' to a folder then the folder is showing first and the doc as second in order. Please refer the screenshot. I want '01.Abc' shown first and '02.Edf'...
  7. How to enable or disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer: [ATTACH] The Windows File Explorer is the near-perfect example of how a File Management software should be. I know many people are demanding for a UWP or Universal Windows Platform version of the same, but actually, the Windows Classic app for [...] This post How to enable...
  8. Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

in Windows 10 Support
    Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence: I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums: Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the...
  9. Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer: How to: Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Enable or Disable Search History in Windows 10 File Explorer [img] Information By default, the search box in File Explorer will show a list of suggestions as you type in the search box. These...
  10. Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information File Explorer can display thumbnail images or icons for files and folders in Windows 10. This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable numerical sorting fpor all windows programs