Windows 10: Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows How to Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Nikodimos, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Nikodimos Win User

Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable.

Users can use offline files (if enabled) to make their network files always available offline to keep a copy of the files stored on the network on your computer. This allows users to work with them even when they are not connected to the network or a server is unavailable. The next time the user connects to the network or the server is available, their offline files on your computer will automatically sync to the network files on the server to update.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable offline files for all users on the computer in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable offline files.

*note In Windows 7, the offline files feature is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the offline files feature is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the offline files feature is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Offline Files in Sync Center
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Offline Files using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Offline Files via Policy in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Offline Files via Policy using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Sync Center notification area icon available when Offline Files is enabled

Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Offline Files in Sync Center
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sync Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage offline files link on the left side of Sync Center. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (enable) or step 5 (disable) below for what you want to do.

4. To Enable Offline Files
    A) Click/tap on the Enable offline files button. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Disable Offline Files
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Disable offline files button. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. When ready, click/tap on Yes to restart the computer to apply. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Offline Files using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC

Start DWORD

1 = Enable
    4 = Disable

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CscService

Start DWORD

2 = Enable
    4 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you want to do.

2. To Enable Offline Files
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Offline_Files.reg

Download

3. To Disable Offline Files
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Offline_Files.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. When ready, restart the computer to apply.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Offline Files via Policy in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note If enabled or disabled, this option will override Option One and Option Two.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files

3. In the right pane of Offline Files in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow or Disallow use of the Offline Files feature policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Offline Files
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Offline Files
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default Not Configured Offline Files Policy
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

9. When ready, restart the computer to apply.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Offline Files via Policy using a REG file

*note If enabled or disabled, this option will override Option One and Option Two.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache

Enabled DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (disable) below for what you want to do.

2. To Enable Offline Files
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Enable_Offline_Files_via_policy.reg

Download

3. To Disable Offline Files
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Offline_Files_via_policy.reg

Download

4. Default Not Configured Offline Files Policy

Default_Offline_Files_policy.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. When ready, restart the computer to apply.

9. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Nikodimos, Mar 13, 2016

2. Change Offline Files in Windows 10 to "Disable offline files"

I want to change the "Offline Files" in Windows 10 to "Disable offline files". All I have seen so far is how to disable or enable Offline Files. I can do those functions thru a GPO, etc.. but what I want to do is

1. turn on the usability of Offline Files for the users

2. Change the default so that Offline Files is turned off, unless the user turns it on

Citizen316, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Jelu Cal Win User
    offline files acces denied (file name database.xml)

We appreciate your response. Based on the details that you've shared, we'd recommend disabling and re-enabling offline files on your device. This will refresh the operating system and will isolate bugs that could have transpired after installing the update.
    To do this, you can perform the following:

• In the Offline Files pop-up window, click on Disable offline files.
    • Click on Apply, and then press OK.
    • From Sync Center, click Manage offline files.
    • Click on Enable offline files.
    • Click Apply, and then press OK.

Once done, check if you'll be able to view and access your offline files. In the event that you still experience your concern,
    we'd recommend performing a system restore to revert your device to an earlier point in time. Restore points are usually created automatically prior to a change in your computer. To do this, you can perform the steps posted in the Restore from a system
    restore point section of this link.

We look forward to an update on your concern.

Jelu Cal, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

Offline files in Windows 10

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

Please follow the below steps to move offline file cache in Windows 10:

• Create a folder for your offline file cache. Something like D:\Offline.
    • From an elevated command prompt type the following: Takeown /r /f C:\Windows\CSC.
    • Open the Sync Center and go to Manage Offline Files.
    • Click Disable Offline Files and restart the machine.

• From an elevated command prompt issue the following commands:

(or whatever your folder name is, but be sure to use the quotes if you have space(s) in the name).

• Reopen the Manage Offline Files window and Enable Offline Files.
    • Restart the machine.
    • All files/folders that are made available offline should now be redirected to whichever folder you specified.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Oct 27, 2019
  5. soopg Win User
    Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro

Hi there, sorry that I have neglected you!
    Your reply was the solution - many thanks indeed.
    In addition, the final step to sucsess was deleting the sfc folder. When I first tried to enable offline files after the re-install, I was told that the offline files service was not running and I needed to restart. The solution to this was taking ownership of the sfc folder and deleting all contents.
    Very many thanks once again.

soopg, Oct 27, 2019
  6. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft enables offline play for Windows 10 games

Most Windows 10 games will support offline play, but you'll have to work at it.

Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows NK5onxJwAvtQTxbkwSUoG8-650-80.png

"Larry Hryb, the man known to the world as Major Nelson, announced on Twittertoday that Microsoft has "made some backend updates to improve your experience playing @Windows 10 games offline." Basically, if you're going to be somewhere that lacks online coverage—on a submarine, for instance—it will still be possible to play your games. But there are some restrictions.

"Most games available in the Store on your Windows 10 device support offline play, but check the details of the game to make sure yours is supported by searching for your game at http://www.xbox.com," the Xbox support site says. "Most games with a campaign mode will be playable offline, but games with network co-op or multiplayer features will not work while you’re offline. While playing offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items from the Windows Store, will not be available. Additionally, any leaderboards will be unavailable while you're offline."

Obviously, online features like buying stuff from in-game stores won't be available when you're offline, but the bit about "games with network co-op or multplayer features" not working while offline really isn't clear. We tested with Gears of War 4 and confirmed that the offline features like campaign and LAN multiplayer worked just fine when disconnected.

There are more caveats, though. You're limited to just one "designated offline device" at a time, and you can only change your designated offline device three times per year. Switching into offline mode isn't all that easy, either. First, you'll need to set your designated offline device:

• Make sure that you’re online.
    • Check that your device has the latest Windows updates: Go to Start,Settings, Update and security, and then Windows Update and see if any relevant updates are available.
    • Open the Store. You’ll be prompted to sign in if you haven’t already.
    • Select the Me icon (this is your profile picture).
    • Select Settings, and then under Offline Permissions, make sure that the toggle is set to On.
    After that, you'll have to "prepare" your games by launching each one that you want to play offline while you're still online, and logging into your Xbox Live account. This is a bit like launching Steam into Offline mode while you still have an internet connection... but you'll have to prepare each individual Xbox game this way before going offline.

Once you've logged into the game while you're online, you can exit at any time and you'll be set. Of course, if you change your mind and want to play something you haven't properly prepared, you're out of luck.

The upside is that this only affects Windows 10 games, but it still seems wildly complicated and restrictive to me. Worse, while improved functionality is always welcome, I can't see how this does anything but beg for unflattering comparisons with Steam: When I want to play my Steam games offline, I set Steam offline, restart it, and I'm on my way—and I can do it as often as I want. Microsoft's implementation of offline play is an improvement, but only because it wasn't available at all previously. As a step toward becoming more competitive with Steam, though, it falls woefully short.
    "

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-enables-offline-play-for-windows-10-games/

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Offline

2. Windows 10 acts like Offline Files are enabled when they are not

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 acts like Offline Files are enabled when they are not: I am running a Windows Server 2012 R2 file server. Our accounting department is now primarily working from home using a VPN connection, as well as most machines recently being rebuilt as Windows 10 Pro and are on our corporate Active Directory domain. Often when they are...
  3. How do I enable offline files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I enable offline files?: I have files that I need to access, but they have a big X in the corner and say that they are offline. I am unable to open the files or convert them to anything. It seems impossible to do anything with them, is there a way to enable or access these files? submitted by...
  4. Disable offline files

Disable offline files: Hi We have a few users who have mapped network shares which they access through a vpn. They are all set up for offline files. Recently some of them have been experiencing problems syncing the offline files because they have almost used all of their drive space so there...
  5. Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro

Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro: Hi there, I have recently got a new laptop, and as I wanted to use the network offline files (not onedrive offline) I upgraded it from Windows 10 Home to Pro specifically for that feature. I have done this upgrade before with no problems. However, on this laptop,...
  6. Offline Files disabled itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Offline Files disabled itself: There wasn't a forum called Features, Settings, Control Panel, or something of that nature so I wasn't sure where to put this. We use a folder redirection GPO from our Server 2008 R2 machine, and offline files sync automatically when they log in while on our network. It...
  7. Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation...
  8. Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted...
  9. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...
  10. Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select...