Windows 10: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows

How to Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps in Windows

Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to find, see, open, and switch between your apps. You can also see the specify how taskbar buttons group together when you have more than one window open.

If you like, you can enable a policy that allows you to control pinning apps to the taskbar for users.

If enabled, users will no longer be able to Pin to taskbar and Unpin from taskbar apps. If any apps are already pinned to the taskbar, these apps continue to show in the taskbar. However, users cannot unpin these apps already pinned to the taskbar, and they cannot pin new apps to the taskbar.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to pin and unpin apps on the taskbar for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps for All Users using a REG file
    EXAMPLE: Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps

Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Do not allow pinning programs to the taskbar policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

NoPinningToTaskbar DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_pin_and_unpin_apps_on_taskbar.reg

Download

3. To Disable "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" for Apps for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_pin_and_unpin_apps_on_taskbar.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the computer to apply.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 8, 2015
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  3. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Query re pinning and unpinning apps to taskbar

I tried using Edge and as I liked it I right clicked the app listing and the pinned it to the taskbar.

What I want to know is how to put that Edge listing back with the other apps because if I unpin it from the taskbar how does one reattach Edge to the listings.

ICIT2LOL, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows

Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 7000, updated to Windows 10 Home version 1083. I am having trouble pinning and unpinning apps to my taskbar. The issue is a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best to describe it. I've also attached screenshots to help
    clarify.

When I unpin an app, and then right-click on the black area of the taskbar, a menu pops up as if that app is pinned there. So for example, I unpinned OneNote the other day. Now if I right-click on the black empty space of a majority of the taskbar, a menu
    will pop up as if OneNote were there. The options are "OneNote, Pin to Taskbar, and Close All Windows." I don't have any OneNote windows opened. I right-clicked directly beneath that OneNote menu box.

When I open an app that isn't pinned to the taskbar, such as Settings, it appears all the way to the right close to the notifications area. The taskbar is acting as though there are apps pinned everywhere between the Windows Store and the newly opened Settings
    page. Every time I try to pin and then unpin an app, the issue gets worse. Is there a way to reset my taskbar or fix this issue?
    Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows 7fcaf622-b7db-418a-809c-f371b58ba200?upload=true.jpg

twentyonellama, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Kari Win User
    Query re pinning and unpinning apps to taskbar

Pinning an app to taskbar does not remove it from Start all apps list. It list in Start under letter M as in Microsoft Edge, you should find it there even when it is pinned to taskbar.

6. how to unpin from taskbar

Hi,

More information on unpinning from taskbar.

How to 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar" Apps in Windows 10

'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10

How to Reset and Clear All Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows 10

Reset and Clear Taskbar Pinned Apps in Windows 10

See the "Related Tutorials" at the end section both of those for more.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Apps on Taskbar in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Pin

2. Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working: I'm at the end of my rope trying to fix this. Not sure "when" this started by I can no longer pin apps to the taskbar nor can I unpin apps that are already pinned. I don't even have the "option" to attempt either action. When I right click on an app that is in the taskbar I...
  3. Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinning/Unpinning Apps to the taskbar no longer working: I'm at the end of my rope trying to fix this. Not sure "when" this started by I can no longer pin apps to the taskbar nor can I unpin apps that are already pinned. I don't even have the "option" to attempt either action. When I right click on an app that is in the taskbar I...
  4. Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!: My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 7000, updated to Windows 10 Home version 1083. I am having trouble pinning and unpinning apps to my taskbar. The issue is a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best to describe it. I've also attached screenshots to help clarify. When I...
  5. Query re pinning and unpinning apps to taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Query re pinning and unpinning apps to taskbar: I tried using Edge and as I liked it I right clicked the app listing and the pinned it to the taskbar. What I want to know is how to put that Edge listing back with the other apps because if I unpin it from the taskbar how does one reattach Edge to the listings. 119565
  6. Enable or Disable Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable Pinned Apps on Taskbar in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows...
  7. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's...
  8. 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10: How to: 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Unpin from taskbar' Apps in Windows 10 How to "Pin to taskbar" and "Unpin from taskbar" Apps in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default....
  9. Pinning/Unpinning Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning/Unpinning Apps: On the Start Screen UI you can hold Ctrl + left click to select numerous items to pin or unpin at once but, it seems that's not possible on the Start Menu UI. Anyone else experience this? 3184
  10. Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar: I just noticed today that I am unable to right click on an item on the taskbar making it not possible to pin or unpin. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? 21007