Windows 10: Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 20, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services.

One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the specific device on which it was set up. That PIN is useless to anyone without that specific hardware. Someone who steals your password can sign in to your account from anywhere, but if they steal your PIN, they'd have to steal your physical device too!

Even you can't use that PIN anywhere except on that specific device. If you want to sign in on multiple devices, you have to set up Hello on each device.

You can block or require users to use uppercase letters, special characters in their PIN by enabling PIN Complexity Group Policy.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable PIN Complexity requirements for users to include at least one special character in their PIN in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

Note Allowable special characters are: ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ \ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~ .

If you set this Require special characters policy to not configured (default), users are not able to include special characters in their PIN by default. If require uppercase letters has been enabled, then users may include special characters in their PIN.

If you set this Require special characters policy to enabled, users are required to include at least one special character in their PIN.

If you set this Require special characters policy to disabled, users can't include special characters in their PIN.

After you apply this policy, users will be required to change their PIN to meet the new PIN complexity requirements.

Contents:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity using Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity using a REG file

EXAMPLE: PIN complexity requirements

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity using Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of local group policy editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\PIN Complexity

3. In the right pane of PIN Complexity in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Require special characters policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

note: Not Configured is the default setting.

7. Close the local group policy editor.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the dword value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\PassportForWork\PINComplexity

SpecialCharacters DWORD

(delete) = Not Configured
    1 = Enabled
    2 = Disabled

1. Do step 2 (not configured), step 3 (enable), or step 4 (disabled) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Set Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity to Not Configured
    Note: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_special_characters_in_PIN.reg

Download

3. To Enable Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity
    A) Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Require_special_character_in_PIN.reg

Download

4. To Disable Require Special Characters for PIN Complexity
    A) Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Can't_include_special_characters_in_PIN.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

9. Restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 20, 2015
  2. David Haz Win User

Disable Windows 10 Pro PIN complexity rules

From Group Policy Editor, you may enable or disable other policies when creating a PIN. You can also configure them to your preferred option. You may double-click the policy that you want to enable or disable according to your preferences. Here's a description
    of each policy that is included in the PIN complexity:

• Require digits
      • Not configured - Users must include a digit in their PIN.
      • Enabled - Users must include a digit in their PIN.
      • Disabled -Users can not use digits in their PIN.
    • Require lowercase letters
      • Not configured - Users can not use lowercase letters in their PIN.
      • Enabled - Users must include at least one lowercase letter in their PIN.
      • Disabled - Users can not use lowercase letters in their PIN.
    • Maximum PIN length
      • Not configured - PIN length must be less than or equal to 127.
      • Enabled - PIN length must be less than or equal to the number you specify.
      • Disabled - PIN length must be less than or equal to 127.
    • Minimum PIN length
      • Not configured - PIN length must be greater than or equal to 4.
      • Enabled - PIN length must be greater than or equal to the number you specify.
      • Disabled - PIN length must be greater than or equal to 4.
    • Expiration
      • Not configured - PIN does not expire.
      • Enabled - PIN can be set to expire after any number of days between 1 and 730, or PIN can be set to never expire by setting the policy to 0.
      • Disabled - PIN does not expire.
    • History
      • Not configured - Previous PINs are not stored.
      • Enabled - Specify the number of previous PINs that can be associated to a user account that can't be reused.
      • Disabled - Previous PINs are not stored.
    • Require special characters
      • Not configured - Users can not include a special character in their PIN.
      • Enabled - Users must include at least one special character in their PIN.
      • Disabled - Users can not include a special character in their PIN.
    • Require uppercase letters
      • Not configured - Users can not include an uppercase letter in their PIN.
      • Enabled - Users must include at least one uppercase letter in their PIN.
      • Disabled - Users can not include an uppercase letter in their PIN.
    After configuring the policy settings, attempt to create your desired PIN that would meet those requirements, this is to check if those policies would work. If the PIN and the policy settings are not working, attempt to create those policy settings and PIN
    on another device to see if it is isolated to your device only. If it still persists, kindly send the issue through the
    Feedback Hub app. This way, engineers would see this problem and address it. You may follow the steps on this
    link on how to send feedback to Microsoft through the
    Feedback Hub app. If you are to submit a feedback through the
    Feedback Hub
    app, make sure that you include every detail about the issue so that the engineers would have a better understanding of the issue. Also, make sure to visit your submission frequently for news or updates about what you have submitted.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

David Haz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Disable Windows 10 Pro PIN complexity rules

@David_Haz, you did not address the actual problem that was expressed by the original poster. I have a hard time believing that you even read the question before Copying and Pasting a generic answer in.

In the original post, he says he went where you are describing. He says he turned ALL of them off so there were no requirements set from group policy.

His concern is that MICROSOFT is forcing him to have a non sequential and not repeating pattern for his pin, and that there is no way of turning off that requirement.

This problem is not something isolated to a single machine, it is not related to a single setting. This is a "Feature" that MICROSOFT added in one of their recent "updates" to force their will on the customers. Kind of a "MICROSOFT knows best" attitude.
    So, telling him to submit a bug to the feedback app isn't viable since Microsoft "Decided for us" that we had to have this.

@David_Haz. My reccomendation to you, and the rest of the Windows Answers team is that, If you don't have an answer to the OP's original question, Don't post an answer, or at least post a reply that says there is no fix at this time. That way you can show
    come competance and make the users feel like we aren't talking to a computer, but to an actual human.

And for God Sakes, Don't blindly mark your answer as "Correct" if you don't even address the original question. I mean, sure, the information is good for some people, but it doesn't answer the actual question of what was asked. I never feel confidant in
    comming to answers.microsoft.com. For the one reason of your windows team doesn't read the user's questions, don't answer their questions, and mark their own answers as correct when you never actually addressed the problem.

IMHO: This entire website is COMPLETELY USELESS unless the question is something so simple as "how do i send an email"... it's almost like there is no technical experience at all on this "answers" site.

canichols2, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10

Why am I being forced to change my PIN?

It is possible that PIN Complexity Group Policy is enabled. You can enforce a policy where users will be required to create a strong complex PIN to sign in. The Group Policy Editor is available in Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and
    Windows 10 Education editions only. To configure PIN Complexity Group Policy in Windows 10, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following setting:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates >
      Windows Components > Windows Hello for Business >
      PIN Complexity
    • Here you will see the following settings that are available:
      • Require digits
      • Require lowercase letters
      • Maximum PIN length
      • Minimum PIN length
      • Expiration
      • History
      • Require special characters
      • Require uppercase letters
    • Double-click on each of the settings to open the configuration box. Go through the options carefully before you enable or disable them.

Once you enable or disable these policies, users will be required to change the PIN and depending on the policies you have set, users will see the PIN requirements that you may have set.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Disable Pin Complexity Requirements

Hi OneCheesyChap

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Click Start, type: regedit

Right click regedit

Click Run as Administrator

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\PassportForWork\PINComplexity

Double click the DWORD value Digits in the right pane then change its value to 2 to disable it.

If you are running Windows 10 Pro, here are steps for disabling it through Group Policy Editor:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/80777-enabl...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.

Andre for Directly, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 special Characters

Hi Mohammed Nabil Masri

Press Windows logo key+X. In that power menu open Command prompt(admin) and in that type charmap .

And check there for required special character.

MCCshreyas, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Require Special Characters for PIN in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Require

2. special character is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    special character is not working: i am supporting couple companies and recetly have lot of issue with my users , the sepcial characters is not working and mostly users passwrd are include these characters and they cant log into their softwares and their account get locked , mostly after a reboot it back to...
  3. typing special characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    typing special characters: I've searched everywhere for an answer to this - it's actually a 2-part question. - I know that with a numeric keypad you can type the guillemet symbol via alt+124/125, but on a laptop pc with no numeric keypad is there a way to type it without always copying and pasting? I...
  4. Special characters in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Windows 10?: Where is the program that shows special characters with their Alt keys? 148825
  5. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...
  6. Special characters in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Win10: Hi, we have a bit of a weird issue with special characters. (kind of hard to explain but I`ll try) We are currently running a Win10 pilot, and the users are saying that the special characters, like é and õ, differs from Windows 7, even though the language input (norwegian) is...
  7. Enable or Disable Require Uppercase Letters for PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Require Uppercase Letters for PIN in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Require Uppercase Letters for PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services....
  8. Enable or Disable Require Lowercase Letters for PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Require Lowercase Letters for PIN in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Require Lowercase Letters for PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN...
  9. Enable or Disable Require Digits for PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Require Digits for PIN in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Require Digits for PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services. One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to...
  10. Searching for special characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for special characters: Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now. Anyway, in my old machine, when I...