Windows 10: Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 [img] Warning This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ThrashZone, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015.

Information Windows 10 build 9926 uses a new expandable Start menu without a Start screen and Apps screen by default now.

The old resizable Start menu with the option to select to use the Start menu or Start screen is still available, but would need to be enabled if wanted.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable using the resizable Start menu instead of the newer expandable Start menu for your user account in Windows 10.

Note When you enable the resizable Start menu, you will also be able to select to use the Start menu or Start screen.

EXAMPLE: Resizable Start menu

EXAMPLE: Expandable Start menu (default)

Here's How:

Note The .bat files below are for the registry key and value below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

EnableXamlStartMenu DWORD

0 = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 or 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Default Expandable Start Menu
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Default_Start_Menu.bat

Download
    3. To Use Resizable Start Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Resizable_Start_Menu.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. If prompted, click/tap on Run.
    NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by unblocking the downloaded .bat file.

6. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close, and your screen flash while applying the changes to your registry and to restart explorer.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file(s) if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ThrashZone, Jan 23, 2015

2. Windows 10 start menu

When Windows 10 preview was first released we could disable the start menu and enable the start screen in Windows 10, can we still do this?

I hate the start menu in Windows 10 and I love the start screen in Windows 8.1. If we can't enable the start screen is there a way to regedit to get it back and disable the disgusting start menu?

LLOYDFRANKLIN85, Jan 23, 2015
  3. Resizable Windows 10 Start Menu and Vertical v. Horizontal Scroll

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You can resize your start menu on your Windows 10 computer. You can just click on the edge of the start menu and stretch to expand it.

You can also make it full screen. You may refer the article below to resize the start menu.

Resize the start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/resize-the-start-menu

Feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Mann_Manohar, Jan 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

You're welcome.

It doesn't affect Search on the taskbar.

Search on the Start screen and Apps screen would be the same one from charms.

Brink, Jan 23, 2015
  5. Okay good deal,
    Killing Bing is only available via a custom install options is why I asked/ web or everywhere,
    I did a refresh install on the last version and it killed my custom install preference *Sad
    Re-install using the custom... is the only way I found to get rid of Bing again :/
    Someone posted this work around thanks for already having a reg file to accomplish the task *Biggrin
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Jan 23, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    I love using the start screen, great tut!

7. Edwin New Member
    Cortana doesn't seem to want to learn using the older menu.

Edwin, Jan 23, 2015
  8. pbcopter Win User

Thanks Shawn, I personally prefer the original Windows 8.1 start screen and it is working fine. In this build, the notification icons also load correctly as well when you switch to the start screen. Also it is much easier to find new programs on the start screen now.

I hope the option to use the original start screen will be included in the final version without the need to change the registry.

pbcopter, Jan 24, 2015
  9. labeeman Win User
    Thanks Shawn did not like the new start menu.

labeeman, Jan 24, 2015
  10. artk1 Win User
    ran default_start_menu.bat and still have no start menu. The customize option is also disabled in start menu properties.

artk1, Jan 24, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello artk1, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by you don't have a Start menu. What do you have instead?

If you wanted the old resizable Start menu from before build 9926 and to have the Customize option available, then you'll need to use step 3 instead.

Hope this helps for now, *Smile
    Shawn

Brink, Jan 24, 2015
  12. gzt7d8 Win User
    Wow great add, Shawn. I love this now and it makes the Start menu more usable in my opinion.

So is a change that you suspect we can keep even after they release the final version later this year?

gzt7d8, Jan 24, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Time will tell, but I sure hope that it'll remain an option we can continue to use. *Smile

Brink, Jan 24, 2015
  14. artk1 Win User
    I have a start menu button, but left click doesn't work at all. Option 3 brought up a windows 8 type screen of tiles without a start menu button.

artk1, Jan 24, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    artk1,

Do you have any 3rd party Start menu program (ex: "Classic Shell", "Start8", etc...) installed by chance that could be causing this?

Brink, Jan 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Resizable

2. Start Menu Resize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Resize: Can we change the Start Menu size in windows 11 like windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-resize/7f5168d4-be3a-4264-bedf-31c7dda8ada7
  3. Start Menu Resize

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Resize: Can we change the Start Menu size in windows 11 like windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-resize/7f5168d4-be3a-4264-bedf-31c7dda8ada7
  4. Can't resize the Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't resize the Start menu: It won't drag from the right. It does show the double arrow, but it doesn't do anything. I want to make the Start menu fit the two stack of apps I have on it but it's twice the width it should be...
  5. Resize start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Resize start menu: Hi Group I was able to resize the start menu in build 9926 using the registry hack. I see that the hack is there in 100041 and 100049. But I cant resize the start menu now. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks. 5160
  6. Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Context Menus in the Start Menu in Windows 10 You can open a context menu in the Start Menu by right clicking or pressing and holding on an app's tile on the Start screen or...
  7. Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable Resizing the Taskbar in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you...
  8. Resize Tiles on Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Resize Tiles on Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Resize Tiles on Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Resize Tiles on Start Menu in Windows 10 Tiles on your Start menu are icons for modern apps, desktop apps, and folders that you "Pin to Start". Modern apps (ex: from the Store) can have live tiles that show...
  9. Resize Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Resize Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Resize Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Resize your Start Menu in Windows 10 In Windows 10, you can resize the height and width of your Start menu. This tutorial will show you how to resize the height and width of your Start menu to what you want in Windows...
  10. Start Menu resizing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Start Menu resizing in Windows 10: The new Start menu is a hybrid of the Windows 7 menu and the features of Windows 8. With Live Tiles and traditional apps sitting side-by-side, it's a hybrid approach that will likely appease desktop users. One aspect that is also new, is that you can resize the Start menu,...