Windows 10: Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Pegadroid, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Pegadroid Win User

Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10

When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without needing a keyboard or mouse.

Using only your voice, you can open menus, click buttons and other objects on the screen, dictate text into documents, and write and send emails. Just about anything you do with your keyboard and mouse can be done with only your voice.

Speech Recognition is only available for the following languages: English (United States, United Kingdom, Canada, India, and Australia), French, German, Japanese, Mandarin (Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional), and Spanish.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable to automatically run Speech Recognition at startup for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup from Speech Recognition
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Advanced Speech Options
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Task Manager
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Speech Recognition listening mode

Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup from Speech Recognition

*note This option requires Speech Recognition to currently be running.
    1. Right click or press and hold on either the Speech Recognition notification area icon or Speech Recognition listening toolbar. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on Options, and click/tap on Run at startup to check (enable - default) or uncheck (disable) it for what you want. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Advanced Speech Options
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Speech Recognition icon.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced speech options link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. In the Speech Recognition tab, check (enable - default) or uncheck (disable) Run Speech Recognition at startup for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close the Speech Recognition control panel if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Task Manager
    1. Open Startup tab. (see screenshots below)

2. Select Speech Recognition (if listed), and click/tap on the available Enable or Disable button for what you want.

*note Speech Recognition will only be listed if it was enabled using Option One, Option Two, or Option Four.

3. When finished, you can close Task Manager if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the string value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Speech Recognition string

<delete> = Disable
    "C:\WINDOWS\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe" -SpeechUX -Startup = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Run Speech Recognition at Startup
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_run_Speech_Recognition_at_startup_for_current_user.reg

Download

3. To Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_run_Speech_Recognition_at_startup_for_current_user.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Pegadroid, Apr 2, 2015

2. speech recognition removal

Hi Sally,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Try the following steps to uncheck the Run Speech Recognition at startup option from the Speech Recognition:

• Type Speech Recognition in the search bar and select the Speech Recognition from the list.
    • Click on the Advanced speech options from the left pane.
    • Uncheck mark on Run Speech Recognition at startup.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Oct 27, 2019
  3. sidneylo Win User
    Win 10 Speech Recognition

I was going to try the settings one more time as you suggested. However I ran into deadlock even at the first step:

“…Select the
    Speech Recognition > Set up Speech Recognition
    page…”

No such choice as “Set up Speech Recognition”. How can I send you the screen shot?

sidneylo, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10

Windows Speech Recognition

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would require more information to help you better.

Are facing any issue with speech recognition?

I would suggest you to follow the steps to see Advance speech options.

• Press Windows+X key on the keyboard
    • Click on control panel
    • Select speech recognition
    • On the left hand pane you will see Advance speech option
    I would also suggest you to refer to the below link:

How to use Speech Recognition

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/using-speech-recognition

(Step applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps and let us know if you have any further queries related to Windows we will be glad to help you.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 27, 2019
  5. How to turn off Speech recognition in Windows 10?

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to turn off speech recognition in Windows 10

• Click Start then type: Change text to speech options in search bar.
    • Hit enter.
    • Select the Speech Recognition tab
    • Under 'User Settings' uncheck 'Run speech recognition at startup'
    • Click Apply and OK
    Hope this helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Win 10 Speech Recognition

Hi Sidneylo,

With the description you've provided regarding the issue on your Windows 10 Speech Recognition, it's possible that some of its settings may not be enabled on your system. To sort this out, allow me to ask the following information:

• Was Speech Recognition working fine before?
    • Were there any changes made or updates installed on your computer prior to the issue?
    • On what edition, build, and version of Windows 10 is your computer running? To check, navigate to
      Settings > System> About, and look for Windows specifications.

In the meantime, try to turn off, then turn back on the speech recognition and see if it works. If the issue persists, then I suggest that you reconfigure it. Here are the steps:

1. In the Cortana search, type in Control Panel, and select it from the search results.
    2. If the View by is in Category view, click the drop-down and select either large or
      small icons.
    3. Select the Speech Recognition > Set up Speech Recognition page, then click
      Next.
    4. Select the type of microphone you have, hit Next, then follow the on-screen instructions.
    5. Once you're on the Improve speech recognition accuracy, make sure to select
      Enable document review, then hit Next.
    6. Select the Use voice activation mode since you want to activate it by using the
      Start Listening command, then hit Next.
    7. If you want to start this feature at startup, select Start automatically at startup. If not, choose the other option, then hit
      Next.
    8. Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete the set up.

For more information, please check out:

Windows Speech Recognition commands

Use speech recognition

Please update this thread with the result so I'll be able to further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Run Speech Recognition at Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Run

2. Speech recognition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech recognition: My built-in microphone isn't working. Worse, my microphone built into my headset isn't working either. I can hear fine from the speakers both built into the computer and from the headset, but can't speak at all. What's wrong?...
  3. Disabling speech recognition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabling speech recognition: I want to disable Speech Recognition from starting on my computer. Can you give me instructions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-speech-recognition/ddd331ca-28cb-41cc-aca4-f68c17b4639b
  4. Enable online speech recognition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable online speech recognition: @Brink. There is a tutorial at Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 which shows how to enable and disable online speech recognition. Given your tutorial was written December 2018 I'm going to assume it applies to 1809, which is good, since that's the...
  5. Disable speech recognition functions but stay on?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable speech recognition functions but stay on?: Hi. I wrote a C# program where I can send keystrokes to Firefox. I can say "next" and have it send the right arrow key and "back" to send left for reading online. Problem is, speech recognition must have a bunch of functionality with built in commands because a lot of times...
  6. Can't enable speech recognition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't enable speech recognition: I am unable to enable speech recognition. Can you help me? I got an error message saying that Speech Recognition could not start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-enable-speech-recognition/aebf33f1-10bf-4849-9b06-1d5f04c23a0b
  7. How to disable Speech Recognition feature in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Speech Recognition feature in Windows 10: [ATTACH] In this post, we will walk you through the process of disabling Speech Recognition in Windows 10 v1809. Speech Recognition is a technology which is used for controlling computers using voice commands. With Speech Recognition you can say commands that [...] This post...
  8. Enable or Disable Speech Recognition Voice Activation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Speech Recognition Voice Activation in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Speech Recognition Voice Activation in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Voice Activation for Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without...
  9. Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Document Review for Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When you set up Speech Recognition in Windows 10, it lets you control your PC with your voice alone, without...
  10. Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When talk to Cortana and other apps that use Windows cloud-based speech recognition. Microsoft will use your voice data to help improve...