Windows 10: Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows How to Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 22, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows

When you hover over the icon or button on the taskbar of opened items, it will show an instant thumbnail preview of the opened windows or tabs for that item.

If you enable save taskbar thumbnail previews, all taskbar thumbnail previews will be saved to cache as opened to help them load faster next time. However, the cache could sometimes become corrupted causing taskbar thumbnail previews to not display correctly.

If you disable save taskbar thumbnail previews, all taskbar thumbnail previews will load on the fly as opened instead of from a cache. This will allow taskbar thumbnails to always display correctly. The speed to load taskbar thumbnail previews each time instead of from a cache should not be much of a factor with today's systems.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable automatically saving taskbar thumbnail previews to a cache for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note This feature is not available in the Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic editions since they do not include the Aero feature.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Visual Effects Performance Options
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Taskbar Thumbnail Preview

Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Visual Effects Performance Options
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open to the Visual Effects tab in Performance Options

2. Check (enable) or uncheck (disable - default) Save taskbar thumbnail previews for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

AlwaysHibernateThumbnails DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the REG file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Save_taskbar_thumbnail_previews.reg

Download

3. To Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the REG file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Save_taskbar_thumbnail_previews.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 22, 2018

2. Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview?

Hey there,

I was just searching the internet for ways to disable the Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10, and I found one that half-worked (only some apps use list view instead of thumbnails). I was wondering if there was a way to completely disable the preview?
    I am alright editing the registry.

Thanks,

Pointy

PointlessnessSteam, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview?

I do need to disable de Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10. I Use a lot of files such an Msft Excel at the same time, and is difficult to to identify between so many little windows. I need the files listed (stacked) when switching icons on taskbar.
    Thanks for yur help!

rigomulato, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows

Option to disable Thumbnail Preview of windows on taskbar in Windows 10

Hello Georges,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your requirement in this regard.

Are to referring Thumbnail Preview of window on taskbar?

The feature which you're referring is a default Thumbnail Preview of windows on taskbar in Windows 10. Sadly, we don't have any manual option to disable this feature. Suggest you to post your feedback using
    Windows Feedback app. Your feedback will help us improve your experience with future releases.

Keep posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Aros1354 Win User
    disable the Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10

These Thumbnail previews on the taskbar are infuirating - please change so we can disable them

Thanks

Aros1354, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Completely disable The Taskbar Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10

Hi,

To disable Taskbar thumbnails on Windows 10, do the following:

* Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command

* Type regedit, and click OK to open the registry.

* Browse the following path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

* Select the System (folder) key, and right-click on the right side, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.

* Name the new DWORD ExtendedUIHoverTime and press Enter.

* Double-click the newly created DWORD and change its value to 30000.

* Click OK.

* Close the Registry.

* Restart your computer to complete the task.

It's important to note that Windows 10 doesn't have a particular option to turn off Taskbar thumbnail, but we can use the ExtendedUIHoverTime Registry tweak to delay the time to show the previews as an alternative workaround.

At any time you can revert the changes by following the steps, but on step 6 change the value from 30000 to 0. Alternatively, you can right-click and select Delete to remove the ExtendedUIHoverTime DWORD.

Source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-task...

OR You can also see the below mentioned URL for your help please

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Yank M

Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows c22cfed1-d914-419c-9f6a-229a1f1d716c?upload=true.jpg

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Save

2. disable taskbar thumbnail preview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable taskbar thumbnail preview: Can't disable taskbar thumbnail preview. Tried all the ways 4? found on the internet, including the ones suggested by this Community.How can it be that an issue with "disable taskbar thumbnail preview" was not solved in all the years since Windows Vista?Yesterday Microsoft...
  3. disable taskbar thumbnail preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable taskbar thumbnail preview: Can't disable taskbar thumbnail preview. Tried all the ways 4? found on the internet, including the ones suggested by this Community.How can it be that an issue with "disable taskbar thumbnail preview" was not solved in all the years since Windows Vista?Yesterday Microsoft...
  4. How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview ?: Neither of these settings disabled the Taskbar Thumbnails.Disable Taskbar Thumbnails via Group Policy Editor Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails using System Advanced settingsI have yet to edit to registry.Any other ideas?...
  5. How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview ?

How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview ?: Neither of these settings disabled the Taskbar Thumbnails.Disable Taskbar Thumbnails via Group Policy Editor Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails using System Advanced settingsI have yet to edit to registry.Any other ideas?...
  6. Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Previews?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Previews?: Is there a way to do this? Its an infuriating user experience. Its completely useless for me to see 15 !! micro windows emails at the bottom of my screen/ Forcing this many previews also limits the number of characters in the title of each item. I'd rather see a list of files...
  7. Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Previews?

Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Previews?: Is there a way to do this? Its an infuriating user experience. Its completely useless for me to see 15 !! micro windows emails at the bottom of my screen/ Forcing this many previews also limits the number of characters in the title of each item. I'd rather see a list of files...
  8. Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Previews?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Taskbar Thumbnail Preview is one of the most useful and interesting features offered by Windows 10. This feature displays a tiny preview in the form of […] This article How to enable or disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  10. Enable or Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Live Previews in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Live Previews in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Live Previews in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Live Previews in Windows 10 When you hover over the taskbar icon of an opened item (ex: Google Chrome), it will show you a thumbnail preview of its opened...