Windows 10: Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10

Search on your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16237, Microsoft added a new option to Cortana to enable or disable showing your cloud content in the search results.

Cortana and Search has been separated starting with Windows 10 version 1903.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Windows Cloud Search showing cloud content in the search results for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off show Cloud Content in Search Results for Current User in Settings
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable show Cloud Content in Search Results for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable show Cloud Content in Search Results for All Users using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Show Cloud Content in Search Results for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Search icon.

2. Click/tap on Permissions & History on the left side, and perform one of the available actions below: (see screenshot below)
    A) Turn on (default) or off Windows Cloud Search for what you want under Cloud Search on the right side.

OR

B) Turn on (default) or off Microsoft account and/or Work or School account for what you want under Cloud content search on the right side.
    3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

If enabled or disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Search

3. In the right pane of Search, double click/tap on the Allow Cloud Search policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (always enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Always Enable Show Cloud Content in Search Results
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Enable Cloud Search in the "Cloud Search Setting" drop down menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Disable Cloud Search in the "Cloud Search Setting" drop down menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default (user choice) Show Cloud Content in Search Results
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

If enabled or disabled, this option will override and gray out Option One.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

AllowCloudSearch DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Always enable

1. Do step 2 (always enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Always Enable Show Cloud Content in Search Results
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_enable_Cloud_Search_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Cortana_Search_for_all_users.reg

Download

4. Default (user choice) Show Cloud Content in Search Results
    *note This is the default setting.

Default_user_choice_Cloud_Search.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 20, 2017

2. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10 a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Oct 26, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    How to disable search online in the start menu

Turn On or Off Search online and include web results in Windows 10
    - see post #5 ref build 1803

and more:
    Enable or Disable Cortana showing Cloud Content in Search Results

https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/04/16/cortana-web-search-cannot-be-disabled-in-windows-10-version-1803/

- discussion

Here's Winaero's approach for 1803 (read down for the solution - hopefully...)
    Disable Web Search in Windows 10 version 1803

included in latest version of Winaero's free tweaker

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  4. RickC Win User

RickC, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check Windows 10 search is able to search the file in OneDrive folder.

1. Press Windows + I key to launch
      Windows Settings
    2. Select Cortana and click
      Permissions & History
      from the left pane.
    3. Toggle the Windows Cloud Search switch to
      On, which present under Cloud Search.
    4. Restart the page and then initiate Windows Search.

However, we do have a dedicated support team for OneDrive related queries, you can get in touch with them for further assistance. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 26, 2019
  6. windows 10 indexing and removing web results revisited

Hi,

Win 10 Pro version 1607

There alot of posts on these topics, and at least some are outdated. Hoping for some new insight that I couldn't find amongst all the older posts.

• Cortana web search suggestions interfere substantially in the usability of Windows 10 search functionality for me. How do I remove them entirely from the list of suggested results? There no longer seems to be a setting in Cortana to disable this.
    • Indexing has been "completed" on this new Windows 10 Pro machine. I have a 1TB data drive with 500GB of documents, images, videos, etc. The data drive is included in the indexed locations. Identically named files in one folder on the drive show up in
      search results, while those in another folder do not show up. Some word documents show up, others don't. Folder names also do not show up in the search results. The contents of this data drive were previously on a data drive in a Win7 machine, where the
      indexing and search results were instant, comprehensive, and accurate: the results list included any match or partial match of a file name, folder name, or (for certain file types) document content. How do I achieve a comparable level of performance in Windows
      10?
    Things I have tried:

• Running the troubleshooter as an administrator: no suggestions.
    • Rebuilding the index. I am unclear whether I "did this as an administrator". I did it while logged in as an administrator, but I cannot right click and run the Indexing Options "as an administrator".
    • I have verified that text document types (word docs, txt, etc.) have both properties and contents indexed.
    Thanks

Russell

RussellWyeth, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Show Cloud Content in Search Results in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Show

2. How do I enable Cloud Content Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I enable Cloud Content Search: I want use cloud content search all the time but for some reason, today it just stopped working is there any way to get it to work again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-enable-cloud-content-search/537d8579-2508-42b1-85f9-beb2d032ec4f
  3. How do I enable Cloud Content Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I enable Cloud Content Search: I want use cloud content search all the time but for some reason, today it just stopped working is there any way to get it to work again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-enable-cloud-content-search/537d8579-2508-42b1-85f9-beb2d032ec4f
  4. Can't enable Search Highlights and Search bar not showing web results

Can't enable Search Highlights and Search bar not showing web results: Hi i cannot enable Search highlights it says that due to some settings are managed by organization i cannot apply the search highlights I can personalize all of windows except for thisOne more thing. Web results not showing in the search instead it shows me the files and...
  5. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  6. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  7. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Cortana
  8. How to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in Taskbar search box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in Taskbar search box in Windows 10: Windows Search can show search results from your cloud storage accounts. However, if you want to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in the Taskbar search box, here is how you can do that. It is possible to turn it on or off using Windows Settings, Registry Editor, and...
  9. Disable Web Results in Start Menu Search, but enable Image search (Windows 10 2004)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Web Results in Start Menu Search, but enable Image search (Windows 10 2004): Hello there, I'm looking for a way to disable the Web results, but let the Image search feature enabled. Apparently the regedit method works again to turn web search in windows search off (bingsearchenabled). But unfortunately this also disables the image search feature....
  10. Recycle Bin content in search results

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin content in search results: I was cleaning a second HD with lots of old files, starting with hundreds of images. To make my work easier, I set Explorer to show large icons. After I selected some files and deleted them, they were still there, showing names starting with $ and the Recycle Bin path. So I...