Windows 10: Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by jimbo45, Jun 9, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account.

Starting with Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328, email addresses of Microsoft accounts are now hidden by default on the sign-in screen.

You can use group policy to prevent users from showing account details (ex: email address) on the sign-in screen.

If you enable this policy setting, account details will not show on the sign-in screen for all users, and users cannot choose to show account details on the sign-in screen.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, users may choose to hide or show their account details on the sign-in screen.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to hide or show account details (ex: email address) on the sign-in screen for all users on the Windows 10 PC.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable showing account details on the sign-in screen.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen using a REG file for Group Policy
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen in Local Security Policy
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen using a REG file for Security Policy

EXAMPLE: Sign-in screen showing email address of Microsoft account

Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

*note If disabled, this option will override Option Three and Option Four.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon

3. In the right pane of Logon in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Block user from showing account details on sign-in policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable User Ability to Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Showing Email Address on Sign-in Screen for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. You can lock the computer (Win+L) to verify your changes.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen using a REG file for Group Policy

*note If disabled, this option will override Option Three and Option Four.

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

BlockUserFromShowingAccountDetailsOnSignin DWORD

0 or delete = Enable users to hide or show their account details.
    1 = Disable showing account details.

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable User Ability to Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

gpedit-Enable_Account_details_on_sign-in_screen.reg

Download

3. To Disable Showing Email Address on Sign-in Screen for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

gpedit-Disable_Account_details_on_sign-in_screen.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

8. You can lock the computer (Win+L) to verify your changes.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen in Local Security Policy

*note The Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below.
    1. Open the Local Security Policy (secpol.msc).

2. Expand open Local Policies and Security Options in the left pane of Local Security Policy, and double click/tap on the Interactive logon: Display user information when the session is locked policy to edit it. (see screenshot below)

3. Select User display name, domain and user names (always show) or User display name only (disable) in the drop menu for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, close the Local Security Policy window if you like.

5. You can lock the computer (Win+L) to verify your changes.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen using a REG file for Security Policy

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

DontDisplayLockedUserId DWORD

(delete) = Not Defined (default)
    1 = User display name, domain and user names (always show)
    2 = User display name only (disable)

1. Do step 2 (default), step 3 (always show), or step 4 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. Not Defined - Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Secpol_Not_Defined_Account_details_on_sign-in_screen.reg

Download

3. To Always Show Account Details on Sign-in Screen
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Secpol_Always_show_account_details_on_sign-in_screen.reg

Download

4. To Disable Showing Account Details on Sign-in Screen

Secpol_Disable_Account_details_on_sign-in_screen.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

jimbo45, Jun 9, 2016

2. deletion of an old account

Hello Wilma, Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10 :)

Depending on what you wanted to do, you could use the method in the tutorial below to no longer have your email address show on the sign-in screen.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/enable-or-disable-sign-in-screen-email-address-in-windows-10.8016/

If you didn't want to use a Microsoft account at all anymore, then you could switch your account to be a local account instead.

Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

If you needed to do something else, then please provide more details.

Shawn Brink, Jun 9, 2016
  3. Disable email address on Sign-in screen

You will be getting an update ~Aug 2 that will allow you to do this.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jun 9, 2016
Thema:

Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Email Address in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Sign

2. Wrong email address for signing in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong email address for signing in: I'm signing into my account everywhere using a personal email address me@mydomain which is set as my primary and only sign-in alias at account.live.com/signinpreferences. But, when I go to account.microsoft.com/profile under account info, it insists that my other *** Email...
  3. Wrong email address for signing in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong email address for signing in: I'm signing into my account everywhere using a personal email address me@mydomain which is set as my primary and only sign-in alias at account.live.com/signinpreferences. But, when I go to account.microsoft.com/profile under account info, it insists that my other *** Email...
  4. How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable PIN Reset at Sign-in screen on Windows 10: One important difference to note between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the specific device on which it was set up, and can ONLY be used to access that specific Windows 10 device. If you forgot your PIN, you can reset it. If you have a Microsoft account...
  5. remove email address from sign-in screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove email address from sign-in screen: 1. I don't want my email address shown on the sign-in screen of Windows 10 Home. How can I remove it? I have already switched the option ' Show account details such as email address on the sign-in screen' (settings ->Accounts->Sign-in options->Privacy) to OFF, but my email...
  6. Change Windows 10 sign-in email address

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change Windows 10 sign-in email address: I have a new email address and soon intend to stop using the email address associated with my Windows account. Can you please give me up-to-date details of how to do this. I know this question has been asked before, but the replies in the locked thread (now 2 years old) are...
  7. Enable or Disable Acrylic Blur Effect on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Acrylic Blur Effect on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Acrylic Blur Effect on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Acrylic Blur Effect on Sign-in Screen Background in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 18237, Microsoft added an acrylic blur effect to the sign-in screen...
  8. Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Your Email Address on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 14328, email addresses of Microsoft accounts are now hidden by default on the sign-in screen. This...
  9. Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Background Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Background Image in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Background Image in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Background Image in Windows 10 Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to...
  10. Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the sign...