Windows 10: Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10 Starting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by bobdole, Jul 17, 2015.

1. bobdole Win User

Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

Starting with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to save you an extra step when low on disk space. Currently this is only supported for unused temporary files, files in your recycle bin over 30 days, and files in your Downloads folder that haven't changed for over 30 days.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17720, Storage Sense can now run when your device is low on storage space by default. Once activated, Storage Sense will intelligently run whenever your device runs low on storage space and clear temporary files that your device and applications no longer need.Storage Sense looks for and will remove the following types of files:
    • Temporary setup files
    • Old indexed content
    • System cache files
    • Internet cache files
    • Device Driver packages
    • System downloaded program files
    • Dated system log files
    • System error memory dump files
    • System error minidump files
    • Temporary system files
    • Dated Windows update temporary files
    • …and more.
    Starting with at least Windows 10 build 18282, you can now configure a group policy to enable or disable Storage Sense for all users on the computer.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Storage Sense to automatically free up space on the PC for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Storage Sense.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Storage Sense disabled and always enabled

Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Storage Sense

3. In the right pane of Storage Sense in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow Storage Sense policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Always Enable Storage Sense
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Storage Sense
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default Storage Sense for User Choice
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

*note This will allow users to be able to turn on or off Storage Sense for their accounts.

8. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Automatically Free Up Space using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\StorageSense

AllowStorageSenseGlobal DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Always enable

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (default) below for what you want to do.

2. To Always Enable Storage Sense
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_Enable_Storage_Sense_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Storage Sense
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Storage_Sense_for_all_users.reg

Download

4. Default Storage Sense for User Choice
    *note This will allow users to be able to turn on or off Storage Sense for their accounts.

Default_user_choice_to_turn_on-off_Storage_Sense.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

bobdole, Jul 17, 2015

2. What did Windows Storage Sense delete?

Hi, Garth

You can not find what was deleted. The only precautious way is having this disabled.

Windows 10 should have Storage sense disabled by default, but you can check and turn off the feature as necessary using these steps:

1.Open Settings.

2.Click on System.

3.Click on Storage.

4.Turn off the Storage sense toggle switch.

Once you've completed the steps, the feature will stop running automatically on your device.

In the event that your device starts running out of space to perform an upgrade or store files, you can re-enable the feature and use these tips to free up space.

Good luck !

HiltonOishi, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Storage Sense

Hello Microsoft Community,

I enabled Storage Sense on my Windows 10 PC to automatically free up space on my computer. However, I just got a notification that Storage Sense needs to be enabled by "removing unused cloud-backed content on your PC", but Storage Sense is already enabled.
    How can I set Storage Sense to clean my PC every week? And what is "unused cloud-backed content"?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

TechNow389, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

What is STORAGE SENSE?

Hello Taffy087,

Storage Sense has been around since Windows 10 build 15014, and updated in build 17720.

Storage Sense basically allows you to automatically delete the specified content in its settings to help free up space on the hard drive. Think of it like an automated Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe).

The tutorials below can help provide more details about Storage Sense if you like:

Turn On or Off Storage Sense Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10

Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Martmcd Win User
    What is STORAGE SENSE?

Hi Taffy087

Storage sense automatically removes temporary files etc. when disk space is getting low.

1) yes, as space is getting low on the system disk, although at that stage it hadn't done anything it is turned off by default but was suggesting you turn it on.

2) it is new with windows 10, but if you were not low on space you may not have known about it. It will eventually replace the disk clean-up.

3) you can safely remove everything listed in storage sense.

windows.old contains details of the previous build and is only required if you opt to roll back within 10 days of installing a feature update - if you don't need to roll back or it has been more than 10 days, you can safely delete it.

some info on storage sense

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-...

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-storage-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Martmcd, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Geosammy Win User
    Storage Sense Not Working Correctly

The Storage Service was disabled.
    By enabling this service, the Storage Sense feature now works as intended.
    Why this service was disabled seems odd to me?

Geosammy, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Storage

2. Storage Sense

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Sense: My storage sense are now 37.2gb from 222 gb and how i free space back to 35.3gb from 222 gb? The storage sense fills up space because of windows update installation. I got use system restore won't free space back to 35.3 gb from 222gb but free up space a bit. I use system...
  3. Storage Sense

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Sense: My storage sense are now 37.2gb from 222 gb and how i free space back to 35.3gb from 222 gb? The storage sense fills up space because of windows update installation. I got use system restore won't free space back to 35.3 gb from 222gb but free up space a bit. I use system...
  4. How to Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10: Storage Sense is a native feature of Windows 10 that can help you gain disk space by removing temporary files, deleting files stored in Recycle Bin, etc. You can easily configure and use Storage Sense to free up space on your Windows 10 PC. For those who don’t use this...
  5. Storage Sense

in Windows 10 Customization
    Storage Sense: In my Windows 10 system, Temporary Files contain system restore points-9 GB and Windows update Cleanup-6 GB, Is it safe to delete such temporary files? plz Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-sense/981146e3-b38f-4e3c-88e3-c7bdb6a67b91
  6. storage Sense

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    storage Sense: If I set storage sense to clean every day? It doesn't seem to do anything Am I missing anything in my settings? or does it work only when you reach full capacity on the drive? thank you and stay safe 155349
  7. Storage sense

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage sense: Not able to turn on due to Administrator blocking it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-sense/de41c85d-6ad8-4362-8c75-8176c32925de
  8. Enable Storage Sense

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enable Storage Sense: Hello, How do I enable Storage Sense in Windows 10 and what kind of files does it remove? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-storage-sense/7fd6c6f7-5e6d-469c-848e-418f831f51f3"
  9. Storage Sense in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Storage Sense in Windows 10: Hi, I need some knowledge about new Storage Sense feature in windows 10 creator's update, like how does it invokes cleanmgr.exe and arguments it passes to invoke cleanmgr.exe. I couldn't find any documentation regarding this . Also , what application is invoked...
  10. Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Storage Sense Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Storage Sense to Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10 Starting with Storage Sense option in Storage Settings to automatically get rid of the files you dont need to save...